First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR 2.0L Turbo
A couple questions for Baja Boss owners..

• Anyone have experience with the Baja Boss ATs and Nitto Ridge Grapplers? How do they compare?
    • I really like that Nittos run more true to size and that's a big consideration with upgrading a bit from stock KO2s to 35s I'm looking for as much clearance as possible while avoiding 37s/re-gearing territory. The Nittos are also quite heavy, which has me more and more interested in the Mickey Thompsons.

• Anyone have experience with both the new Baja Boss ATs and the recent MTs? Any preference between the two?
    • The 35" MTs appear taller and 3lbs lighter than the ATs, and that's really appealing! But assumed at cost of more road noise, less wet pavement and snow performance.

• Lastly, anyone know the actual diameter (with daily driving psi) of the 35" Baja Boss MTs?
    • For example, the 35" ATs are listed at 34.5", but lots of folks say they barely hit 34" with low to mid 30s psi. The MTs are listed at 34.8 (at max psi).

Thank you!

Eric
Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR

• Anyone have experience with the Baja Boss ATs and Nitto Ridge Grapplers? How do they compare?
    • I really like that Nittos run more true to size and that's a big consideration with upgrading a bit from stock KO2s to 35s I'm looking for as much clearance as possible while avoiding 37s/re-gearing territory. The Nittos are also quite heavy, which has me more and more interested in the Mickey Thompsons.

• Anyone have experience with both the new Baja Boss ATs and the recent MTs? Any preference between the two?
    • The 35" MTs appear taller and 3lbs lighter than the ATs, and that's really appealing! But assumed at cost of more road noise, less wet pavement and snow performance.

• Lastly, anyone know the actual diameter (with daily driving psi) of the 35" Baja Boss MTs?
    • For example, the 35" ATs are listed at 34.5", but lots of folks say they barely hit 34" with low to mid 30s psi. The MTs are listed at 34.8 (at max psi).

Thank you!

Eric
I have been running the Baja Boss AT in 35 “D” load range for several months now. Compared to both 33” and 35” KO2s they are superior in every aspect except noise level. Theare slightly louder.

Unless you live in or near heavy thick mud and off road in it often there in no need to look any further then the AT Boss. It is marketed as an AT but in reality it a hybrid AT/MT and slightly bias toward the MT side of things.

Size wise ~1/4” in overall listed diameter between brands is meaningless. It is the measurement under load height on the vehicle that matters. Build construction of the side wall will cause the tires to flex differently from brand to brand and overall the difference under the axles is at best within 1/16-1/8” at similar PSI setting. Also rim width will play its part in overall height difference. So just because a given brand lists taller numbers does not guarantee it will be taller. If you want a true 35” tire under vehicle load then you need to be looking at 37” tires.

Both the Boss AT and MT are heavier then most competitors BUT because of this they are hands down one of the toughest built tires you can buy in 35s. I have tried all the top name quality brand offerings over the last 30 years and can say in my experience MickeyThompson (Owned by Cooper) makes the best tires for true off roaders that need strong tires yet still provide for decent general all around day to day use. The new Boss AT goes well above this.

My 35” AT Boss tires on my JLUR with 2” lift.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Boss questions.. F35B3F35-B7B3-455F-BEBF-67AC2EAB24C5
Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Boss questions.. 6E7C4ADD-1387-4FB1-B07C-16F2B38BAFBA

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have been running the Baja Boss AT in 35 “D” load range for several months now. Compared to both 33” and 35” KO2s they are superior in every aspect except noise level. Theare slightly louder.

Unless you live in or near heavy thick mud and off road in it often there in no need to look any further then the AT Boss. It is marketed as an AT but in reality it a hybrid AT/MT and slightly bias toward the MT side of things.

Size wise ~1/4” in overall listed diameter between brands is meaningless. It is the measurement under load height on the vehicle that matters. Build construction of the side wall will cause the tires to flex differently from brand to brand and overall the difference under the axles is at best within 1/16-1/8” at similar PSI setting. Also rim width will play its part in overall height difference. So just because a given brand lists taller numbers does not guarantee it will be taller. If you want a true 35” tire under vehicle load then you need to be looking at 37” tires.

Both the Boss AT and MT are heavier then most competitors BUT because of this they are hands down one of the toughest built tires you can buy in 35s. I have tried all the top name quality brand offerings over the last 30 years and can say in my experience MickeyThompson (Owned by Cooper) makes the best tires for true off roaders that need strong tires yet still provide for decent general all around day to day use. The new Boss AT goes well above this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Boss questions.. 6E7C4ADD-1387-4FB1-B07C-16F2B38BAFBA
I was really wanting to try a set of the Baja Boss M/T's, but just couldn't wait the minimum 3 month backlog. I'm definitely jumping on a set of them for next time.

OP
OP
xEDGEx

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)

Thanks for the feedback on the ATs! They look great!

Regarding weight.. according to the Mickey Thompson site, I think the 35 MTs are ~3lbs less than the ATs (72 vs 69 - and that's impressively light for a 35 mud terrain!)

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback on the ATs! They look great!

Regarding weight.. according to the Mickey Thompson site, I think the 35 MTs are ~3lbs less than the ATs (72 vs 69 - and that's impressively light for a 35 mud terrain!)
The reason is less rubber in the tread do to wider spaced tread blocks on the MT tire. Otherwise the “carcasses” are the same in the AT and MT.

OP
OP
xEDGEx

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
The reason is less rubber in the tread do to wider spaced tread blocks on the MT tire. Otherwise the “carcasses” are the same in the AT and MT.
ahhh gotcha, makes sense especially considering how aggressive the ATs are

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I was looking at the MTs on Discount Tire's website this morning and it says the 35x12.50/17 tires are discontinued?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Qwerty43606

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500, 2021 JLUR 3.6
I have a set of the Mickey Thompson ATs 35x12.5r17 for sale. About 3,000 miles on them. I went to 37s. I am in Toledo, Oh so if somone wanted to come get them...... asking 275/each. I have all 5.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was looking at the MTs on Discount Tire's website this morning and it says the 35x12.50/17 tires are discontinued?
The old MTs are discontinued not the new ones. Their site is in error. But there is also a backlog on production so they may not be available in stock for 2-3 months. My AT Boss were in the same situation. They were on order for almost three months through Discount/American Tires.

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel

Thank you!

Eric
I have a 37/12.5/17 Mickey Thompson, Baja boss AT. According to the website, it is actually. 36.8” tire, and weighs 80 lbs. your information is wrong. Mickey Thompson is heavier, and the sidewall is harder. The compound is very hard. And a load range D. The Baja Boss A/T. Is the most aggressive A/T out. I have been on all types of terrain and it handles well. I great tire. Also, I called Nitto before I had purchased a tire, and they technician told me the Ridge Grappler and Recon Grappler are more of a truck tire. If you want that, that would be a step up from any stock Jeep tire, including KO2. That was good like 25 years ago. The Baja boss, as stated already is like an AT/MT hybrid. Almost an MT, but more sipes, and a 55,000 mile warranty. I will take that all day in a daily driver. If you want the MT the way to go now is Trail Grappler even over Toyo Open County MT now. I love my Baja Boss AT’s they did fine in Moab even.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Boss questions.. 2547BD66-89BB-400E-B220-C7A1BC63031D

Last edited:

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I have a 37/12.5/17 Mickey Thompson, Baja boss AT. According to the website, it is actually. 36.8” tire, and weighs 80 lbs. your information is wrong. Mickey Thompson is heavier, and the sidewall is harder. The compound is very hard. And a load range D. The Baja Boss A/T. Is the most aggressive A/T out. I have been on all types of terrain and it handles well. I great tire. Also, I called Nitto before I had purchased a tire, and they technician told me the Ridge Grappler and Recon Grappler are more of a truck tire. If you want that, that would be a step up from any stock Jeep tire, including KO2. That was good like 25 years ago. The Baja boss, as stated already is like an AT/MT hybrid. Almost an MT, but more sipes, and a 55,000 mile warranty. I will take that all day in a daily driver. If you want the MT the way to go now is Trail Grappler even over Toyo Open County MT now. I love my Baja Boss AT’s they did fine in Moab even.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson Baja Boss questions.. 2547BD66-89BB-400E-B220-C7A1BC63031D
The OP probably bought tires over a year ago and hasn't been on in 10 months. You're a bit late 😆