Michigan Elk Herd spotting

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Yesterday we toured the Michigan elk herd area and did not see any Elk! But on one limited access road fork we pulled up to a group of UTV's began to go by us. Counted 10, 20, 30, 40 and finally 47 in about 5 minutes. They all had smiles, mud, and dirt everywhere and mostly 4 passenger buggies all tricked out with LED whips, coolers, and roto paks. Stopped and talked with one guy and said they belong to a club, asked were they are going, he did not know just following the leader.
After they passed we went down the trail they just came across and it was covered in washboard from all of the traffic. Reminded me of the same large groups we see in Michigan during snowmobile season.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I wonder how the elk react to that much SxS traffic. If the UTV's were like the ones I saw in Colorado they didn't have the quietest mufflers around.

I'm heading up to the Cataloochee valley in North Carolina Thursday to look for elk also. It's a combination elk and leaf peeking trip. Should be able to find some leaves in full color. Don't know about finding elk. It's been hit or miss on previous trips.

Later,
Johnny

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We were out tooling around in an area that had a big tree rub. Note, my wife is 5'10" tall. I am thinking Big Foot or Big Elk. The bear in this part of Michigan are just not that big. This was just south of the Houghton Lake Area. West of side of 75. I am thinking that the OP was over by Atlanta area of Michigan.

Jeep Wrangler JL Michigan Elk Herd spotting 1603031507630

OP
OP

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
In the area east of 75, south of Indian River, and North of Gaylord. I have not been in Gaylord for a few years and was disappointed to see all of the sprawl west of 75 on 32.
Sponsored