Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Mice like the woods, mice like camping, mice like Jeeps.

Decided to sleep in the Jeep to see how comfy it would be, Mr. Mouse had the same idea. Early in the morning Mr. Mouse says "SURPRISE!" six inches from my face to which I reply "$HIT!" and fly two feet in the air backwards.
Mr. Mouse says I like it here, I'm not leaving. Later that day we take all four doors off and go for a ride. Mr Mouse says "SURPRISE!, gonna run across your wife's foot as you go down the road!". Mrs. Wife says "SHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!" as Mr. Husband almost drives off road. Mr. Husband sets traps that night. Mr. Mouse licks peanut butter off said traps four times while pooping on Mr. Jeep's carpet. Ahhhh, five times a charm. Mr. Mouse's C3 vertebrae met Mr. Trap's high velocity steel bar... no more Mr. Mouse.
Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Damn mouse and/or mice chewed thru the wiring to my turbo on my F-150 which resulted in a $300 replacement of a wiring harness. Turns out that this is a common problem because manufacturers make some of the wire/cable harness coverings out of a corn derivative that seems to attract these rodents to be "green compliant".

Anywho...good for you for eliminating that problem. I hope the "high velocity steel bar" was not damaged in the incident.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh don't worry, the bar fared very well. No dents and no brain matter on it, no bars were harmed in the protection of this Jeep.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Damn mouse and/or mice chewed thru the wiring to my turbo on my F-150 which resulted in a $300 replacement of a wiring harness. Turns out that this is a common problem because manufacturers make some of the wire/cable harness coverings out of a corn derivative that seems to attract these rodents to be "green compliant".
Exact same happened with my 1997 TJ.. I think, if I remember correctly, it was a $500-$600 fix... Silly mice!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Walked outside at 6:10 this morning to head to work and got ticked off because my wife's cats left paw prints all over the hood of my Jeep again. Then I read this thread and decided I'd rather have cat prints on the hood than wiring chewed up under it. #winning

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

Anywho...good for you for eliminating that problem. I hope the "high velocity steel bar" was not damaged in the incident.
Honda has this problem and now sells a special rodent deterrent tape. There was also a class action lawsuit.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/how-to-protect-your-car-from-rodents/

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
:camera:Pics of dead mouse, or it didn't happen! JUST KIDDING! I don't really want to see that.

I laughed out loud at your description because it would have been the same with me! If the soft top was on, I'd have probably shot my head right through it! :cwl:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Always hang moth balls from the undercarriage if I am leaving the Jeep at a trailhead for more than a few hours. Mice are one thing but marmots are a whole other problem.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I researched the moth balls and they say it really doesn't deter them. Then again you aren't looking for long term repellent. I think the mouse could smell my danishes I had on the floor that were for the next morning's breakfast.
Funny thing is he never made it through the wrappers.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I researched the moth balls and they say it really doesn't deter them. Then again you aren't looking for long term repellent. I think the mouse could smell my danishes I had on the floor that were for the next morning's breakfast.
Funny thing is he never made it through the wrappers.
Most folks I talk to around here feel the moth balls are helpful, but I have not done much research to be honest. That said food in Jeep/tent will get you every time. Food should be always be hung in a bear bag.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Mice do like Jeeps! My house cat really wanted to go check out the garage last night (was sealed for the night and he generally explores for about 5 minutes before getting bored and asking to come in.)

Last night he did not want to come in until nearly an hour later. Lots of pawprints were on the hood of our Cherokee with what was left of a mouse stuck to the rear door.
20180618_113459.jpg

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
Wait till one eats through your radiator hose or wiring harness