Mice droppings in engine bay

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
So I found three mice droppings on my battery cover. No evidence of chewed wires, but does anyone have advice on getting rid/preventing mice from returning? The droppings looked recent and I never had issues previously, so I might have picked up some mice when I was at a friend’s. Just wanna take some precautions before I need to replace the wiring harness..

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Mice and rats like dark hiding places. You might want to keep your hood open if it's garaged. They also hate the smell of moth balls. That should make em leave.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So I found three mice droppings on my battery cover. No evidence of chewed wires, but does anyone have advice on getting rid/preventing mice from returning? The droppings looked recent and I never had issues previously, so I might have picked up some mice when I was at a friend’s. Just wanna take some precautions before I need to replace the wiring harness..

Thanks in advance!
Jeep Wrangler JL Mice droppings in engine bay DB911F7B-39C2-4C5E-89A1-4924BBC6A2A8

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I use to use dryer sheets when I owned a Corvette and never drove it much. They don't like the smell. Just remember to take them out!

Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I JUST saw some mouse bedding in the exact same spot. It doesn’t look like they finished making the nest, fortunately.

Traps are the only way I’ve been able to address my mice problem. If you go that route, please use instant kills traps and not glue or poison traps.

Quest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I JUST saw some mouse bedding in the exact same spot. It doesn’t look like they finished making the nest, fortunately.

Traps are the only way I’ve been able to address my mice problem. If you go that route, please use instant kills traps and not glue or poison traps.
Hunted in Colorado last year driving every day and found this critter house back home when cleaning. Essentially an entire rabbit pelt but in pieces, even found the tail Fortunately no actual damage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mice droppings in engine bay F95AAA63-D9F5-4A43-8BD6-DE09FDBEB924

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks in advance!
Set some neck breaker traps and DON'T leave any food in the Jeep. I went camping and slept in the Jeep and had some pastries on the floor in the front. 6 AM I open my eyes and there is a mouse staring me in the face. I yelled and we both jumped back. He came home from the trip in the Jeep and then ran across my wife's feet when we went for a ride. He set off the trap 3 times... the 4th he wasn't so lucky.

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all. i’m probably gonna go with the dryer sheet option for now and hope it works before escalating to traps.

now a rather dumb question - where do i place the dryer sheets? Just on top of the battery cover and remove before driving off? Any repercussions if i were to forget and leave it in?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. i’m probably gonna go with the dryer sheet option for now and hope it works before escalating to traps.

now a rather dumb question - where do i place the dryer sheets? Just on top of the battery cover and remove before driving off? Any repercussions if i were to forget and leave it in?
Dryer sheets?? What the heck are you going to do with that? Make his fur fluffy and soft, lol. Never heard of that one. Here's the deal, I've learned this the hard way, once you have mice in the house/garage/Jeep they aren't going to leave. Kill it.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Do you park in a garage or outside?

In our garage I just put traps along the walls and between that and the black snakes things sort themselves out.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

@jaozus

Mice very quickly grow used to the smell of moth balls and dryer sheets .... they may work for a short time and then .........

I think if I had a mouse problem (unless you have a zillion of them) I'd take some sticky traps and attach them in a few places under the hood. Say one on the air box cover, one on the PDC cover and such.

You could use little pieces of Velcro to mount the sticky sheets. This way if you get a mouse, you can easily remove the sheet and cut away the portion where the critter is and then stick the sheet back in place.

The sticky sheets will allow you to lets say monitor the situation and also to grab those little pricks. You can drive the JL with the sheets in place...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I park in my driveway
Do you park in a garage or outside?

In our garage I just put traps along the walls and between that and the black snakes things sort themselves out.
Sponsored