Sponsored

Metra JP-1014 Speaker Pods? (for 2018+ JL Wrangler or Jeep Gladiator)

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
So I purchased these speaker pods hoping that they help me to get bigger and better dash speakers (knee speakers). They are advertised as being compatible with 2018 and up Jeep Wrangler JL and Gladiator vehicles. They are built to use 6.5" or 6.75" speakers but before I purchase speakers I wondered if anyone has tried these and am looking for recommendations on 6.5 inch speakers to use. I have already installed the Alpine 23-WRA amp/subwoofer and I'm hoping that this combo will get me some excellent audio.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.. Thanks!
Sponsored

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Hello,

I just installed these pods 2 days ago. To match my SSV works soundbar speakers, I went with Alpine 6.5r Version 2. I really liked the sound in the soundbar. Some things to note:

1. The pod adaptors needed a slight modification to get the speakers to fit correctly. For some reason there was about 4 tabs that went into the speaker cutout area. I cut off those tabs with a dremel plastic tool. Once the tabs were cut off the speakers dropped in just fine.

2. I did not fill the pods with poly like some others have.

3. I was being a cheap ass and bought open box speakers off alpine. Bad idea. One of the speakers was blown which of course I figured out AFTER I put the dash all back together which leads me to...

4. These are a major pain in the ass to install. This is the #1 biggest downfall. I’m mechanically inclined and I have no problems jumping into suspension/engine maintenance/ etc. That said start to finish to install these pods took me a solid 4 hours including cleanup. I took my time as many videos I watched online showed people breaking clips on the dash panels. I broke no clips, though I have 2 random screws left over. Lol. Plan accordingly before jumping into this project. This is something that anyone can do. Auto trim removal kit is highly recommended. They are $9 off amazon and will save you a lot of frustration.

So the big question: Was it worth it? To me, yes. I would do this again. I haven’t bought the alpine sound upgrade yet, but I will. I know once these speakers are amped it should sound even better.

If I was to do this again though I would not buy open box speakers. I took a gamble and lost. I have ordered brand new speakers and I get to go through the dash removal all over again.

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Hello,

I just installed these pods 2 days ago. To match my SSV works soundbar speakers, I went with Alpine 6.5r Version 2. I really liked the sound in the soundbar. Some things to note:

1. The pod adaptors needed a slight modification to get the speakers to fit correctly. For some reason there was about 4 tabs that went into the speaker cutout area. I cut off those tabs with a dremel plastic tool. Once the tabs were cut off the speakers dropped in just fine.

3. I was being a cheap ass and bought open box speakers off alpine. Bad idea. One of the speakers was blown which of course I figured out AFTER I put the dash all back together which leads me to...

4. These are a major pain in the ass to install. This is the #1 biggest downfall. I’m mechanically inclined and I have no problems jumping into suspension/engine maintenance/ etc. That said start to finish to install these pods took me a solid 4 hours including cleanup. I took my time as many videos I watched online showed people breaking clips on the dash panels. I broke no clips, though I have 2 random screws left over. Lol. Plan accordingly before jumping into this project. This is something that anyone can do. Auto trim removal kit is highly recommended. They are $9 off amazon and will save you a lot of frustration.

So the big question: Was it worth it? To me, yes. I would do this again. I haven’t bought the alpine sound upgrade yet, but I will. I know once these speakers are amped it should sound even better.

If I was to do this again though I would not buy open box speakers. I took a gamble and lost. I have ordered brand new speakers and I get to go through the dash removal all over again.
Thanks. This is the kind of info I was hoping to find. I am thinking twice about doing it myself. I installed the Alpine 23-WRA subwoofer/amp on my own and it was also a PITA. The bracket did not fit right where the jeep bolts are located so after bending the brackets around to fit hole by hole I was so glad to see that the last hole lined up and I felt lucky to have finished such a tedious job. Now I need to think this one out as I make plans to replace the speaker pods.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
I have a set paired With Hybrid Audio Mirus V 6.5 components. I dont make speaker recommendations as I firmly believe you should go listen to as many as you can with your own ears and music preference, and buy the ones that sound the best to you.

I opted to have them installed by the shop due to time saved by them doing it vs me.

I do not have an amp yet but there was a noticeable improvement over stock that should become even more pronounced once I get some power on them.

Absolutely worth it for me.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Knowing you’re amped and already have the pods I would do it. If you haven’t done it yet I’d recommend the ssv works soundbar adaptor as well. Best of luck!

Sponsored

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I installed the ssv and metra pods a few weeks ago. Ended up going with the Alpine R series and they fit fine with no issues.

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Does anyone know if the stock speaker harnesses or replacements are available anywhere?

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Does anyone know if the stock speaker harnesses or replacements are available anywhere?
Metra has some harness plugs that go from factory to whatever speaker you want. If that's what your looking for.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m installing those Metra pods today with some new 10 year old Rockford 6.5” speakers I liked amped off an OEM 2010 Chevy Silverado headunit. I never got around to installing the speakers in the truck but like when I tested them. I’m testing them on the passenger side first to see if I like them in the JL. I currently have all the 4” speakers replaced with the kickers and added a 10” JL amped sub unit. My goal is to get a little more mid bass since the JL audio sub is all around nice and the 4” kickers can be bright.

0531BE81-A037-4E06-ABBB-9A68A796F10E.jpeg

DF17C98C-73D5-4F38-9B5A-1AD7A9DF9288.jpeg

BD2D9AEB-77E0-4EC4-9C8B-FD396542FE42.jpeg

21629434-FBE8-423B-8BA8-C72FA24174B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
i also installed SSV sound bar adapter with Alpine R-S65 + Alpine SPR-10TW with poly fill and sound amazing ( have alpine pss-23wra )
waiting on Metra pod with Alpine X-S65
do you guys think will be a good match on X65 + R65 ? or i shoulder match both speakers ?

thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
i also installed SSV sound bar adapter with Alpine R-S65 + Alpine SPR-10TW with poly fill and sound amazing ( have alpine pss-23wra )
waiting on Metra pod with Alpine X-S65
do you guys think will be a good match on X65 + R65 ? or i shoulder match both speakers ?

thanks
I also installed the Alpine PSS-23WRA subwoofer/amplifier and I installed Kicker KSC404 KSC40 4" Coax Speakers with .5" tweeters in the front knee panels and Alpine R-S65.2 6.5 inch coaxial speakers in the soundbar. The sound is incredible and it made me smile when I heard some highs in some songs that I have not heard before. The speakers are very full and powerful.

So I didn't match my speakers and the outcome was great. I think that the sound from your setup will depend on the quality of the X-S65 speakers. I had originally installed Alpine S-S65C S-Series 6.5-inch Component 2-Way Speakers in the soundbar but was not happy with the sound from the soundbar and whole system because it just wasn't a full sound, (weak bass and mid-bass). After switching those out to the Alpine R-S65.2 speakers I was blown away....Great sound now!

Last edited:

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m installing those Metra pods today with some new 10 year old Rockford 6.5” speakers I liked amped off an OEM 2010 Chevy Silverado headunit. I never got around to installing the speakers in the truck but like when I tested them. I’m testing them on the passenger side first to see if I like them in the JL. I currently have all the 4” speakers replaced with the kickers and added a 10” JL amped sub unit. My goal is to get a little more mid bass since the JL audio sub is all around nice and the 4” kickers can be bright.

0531BE81-A037-4E06-ABBB-9A68A796F10E.jpeg

DF17C98C-73D5-4F38-9B5A-1AD7A9DF9288.jpeg

BD2D9AEB-77E0-4EC4-9C8B-FD396542FE42.jpeg

21629434-FBE8-423B-8BA8-C72FA24174B1.jpeg
All finished sound has improved a little over what I already had and it is louder. The driver side takes some patience and is a pita. I was able to remove my driver side pod without removing the top of the dash (mine acted as if it didn’t want to budge) or the silver dash panel insert. Took me probably 6 hours combined for both. With that being said my tools suck and I took the time to add foam between the speakers and the grills and I heat shrink wrapped most of the wires and ran the tweeters from the top of the dash.

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
So I purchased these speaker pods hoping that they help me to get bigger and better dash speakers (knee speakers). They are advertised as being compatible with 2018 and up Jeep Wrangler JL and Gladiator vehicles. They are built to use 6.5" or 6.75" speakers but before I purchase speakers I wondered if anyone has tried these and am looking for recommendations on 6.5 inch speakers to use. I have already installed the Alpine 23-WRA amp/subwoofer and I'm hoping that this combo will get me some excellent audio.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.. Thanks!
I used these in mine. Lined the inside with sound deadening and poly fill, then drilled a hole for the speaker wire. I couldn’t get the pre drilled holes to line up with my speakers, so I had to drill new holes for that. Otherwise, they worked great!

OP
OP

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I used these in mine. Lined the inside with sound deadening and poly fill, then drilled a hole for the speaker wire. I couldn’t get the pre drilled holes to line up with my speakers, so I had to drill new holes for that. Otherwise, they worked great!
Yeah...I did the exact same thing, (polypill and sound deadening matting) and I am amazed at how great the sound is now. It was all a major pain but I did it over a few days, a little at a time and it wasn't all that bad. I The effort was definitely worth it! Thanks to everyone for all of the tips!

Last edited:

MikelMD

First Name
Mikel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU
Occupation
Principal Sales Engineer, Public Sector
Hello,

Did u have to take the dash apart, like the instructions state in the Metra instructions?
Sponsored