Sponsored

Method 703s - 8.5” or 9” and offset questions

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I’ve got a 2024 JLUR 4XE with the XR fender extensions installed, and 315/70R17 Falken Wildpeaks (load range C), currently on stock wheels. I’m having to run a fairly low pressure to try and achieve an even contact patch (even at 30ish cold it’s still not perfect), I assume due to the narrow width of these 7.5”/+44 offset stock wheels. It makes the vehicle feel a little “wobbly” especially when the tires are cold.

I’m looking at the Method 703s, and they have two sizes I’m considering.

From their site:

17x8.5” 0 offset/4.75” BS
17x9” -12 offset/4.8” BS (see second question re: BS number they have listed)

First question, should I go with an 8.5” or 9” width for these tires (and/or future 37x12.5s)?

Second question, is the wheel specification wrong on the 17x9? Wouldn’t -12 offset be ~4.5” BS?”

I’d like to keep the tires from protruding past the XR extensions by any noticeable amount to ensure I don’t run into inspection issues with a potential move to NH. If I’m correct on the offset then the 9”/-12 offset wheels will push the sidewalls 2.2” further out and the 8.5”/0 offset will be 1.73” further out, so I can go measure that.

I also do not want rubbing.

Thank you!
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I’ve got a 2024 JLUR 4XE with the XR fender extensions installed, and 315/70R17 Falken Wildpeaks (load range C), currently on stock wheels. I’m having to run a fairly low pressure to try and achieve an even contact patch (even at 30ish cold it’s still not perfect), I assume due to the narrow width of these 7.5”/+44 offset stock wheels. It makes the vehicle feel a little “wobbly” especially when the tires are cold.

I’m looking at the Method 703s, and they have two sizes I’m considering.

From their site:

17x8.5” 0 offset/4.75” BS
17x9” -12 offset/4.8” BS (see second question re: BS number they have listed)

First question, should I go with an 8.5” or 9” width for these tires (and/or future 37x12.5s)?

Second question, is the wheel specification wrong on the 17x9? Wouldn’t -12 offset be ~4.5” BS?”

I’d like to keep the tires from protruding past the XR extensions by any noticeable amount to ensure I don’t run into inspection issues with a potential move to NH. If I’m correct on the offset then the 9”/-12 offset wheels will push the sidewalls 2.2” further out and the 8.5”/0 offset will be 1.73” further out, so I can go measure that.

I also do not want rubbing.

Thank you!
First, in my experience with 37s, 28-30 psi is a sweet spot where steering response, tread stability, ride quality, contact patch, etc, all seem to be a nice compromise. With your 35s on the factory wheels, I would expect it to be similar. Like I said, it's a compromise. You have to decide which road characteristics are more important to you and weight your pressure selection in that direction.

As for tire protrusion, you just have to do the math. I'm running a 12.50x37 on a 8.5" wide 4.5" backspace. I've run this setup on the Rubicon trail and some Moab 6-8 rated trails with stock Rubicon fenders, using fairly small diameter Rocksport shocks. But I'm concerned about shock clearance if I go to a 2.5" external reservior and shock relocation brackets. I'll likely have to go to a 3.5" backspace if I go that route. 3.5" backspace pokes the 12.50 wide tires out at least 2", if not 3". Somewhere I have some pix of 37s on 3.5" backspace on previous setup I ran. Again, you can do the math and get exact numbers. Get a yardstick and a tape measure and bridge across the sidewalls of what you have, measuring to the fender extensions. Consider what shocks you're likely to run and whether you'll run brackets that kick the shock out, when you decide on backspace. 8.5" wide or 9" wide work fine with a 12.50 wide tire. I would not go wider than 9" for aired down rock crawling.