Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
FYI, listened to Matson’s podcast today and checked the site, low and behold 4xe kits are out.

2.5 and 3.5 Gamechanger and Dual Rates on the site.

Waiting for a call back from their sales team to order springs/isolators.

Front are the diesel springs, rears are 4xe specific (sounds like a special spacer or isolator). Springs aren’t live yet, have to call to order.

89A129FF-7471-4D82-A884-3C1E919DC729.jpeg
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Cool. I have been waiting on someone to come out with springs. Kind of curious just how much lift the 2.5" springs will actually give. Also if you read Metalcloak's advice on the 2.5" kit, it says you "must" replace the front driveshaft. Pretty sure it is different from the standard JL.

I have the 2.5" Teraflex spacers in now. My plan is to just swap out the springs, as I already put in longer flex links and track bar relocation brackets, along with Fox shocks. The Teraflex spacer lift is actually 3" up front. It is fine for mild off-roading but if you got into anything crazy you would definitely want to do something about the front driveshaft.

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Cool. I have been waiting on someone to come out with springs. Kind of curious just how much lift the 2.5" springs will actually give. Also if you read Metalcloak's advice on the 2.5" kit, it says you "must" replace the front driveshaft. Pretty sure it is different from the standard JL.

I have the 2.5" Teraflex spacers in now. My plan is to just swap out the springs, as I already put in longer flex links and track bar relocation brackets, along with Fox shocks. The Teraflex spacer lift is actually 3" up front. It is fine for mild off-roading but if you got into anything crazy you would definitely want to do something about the front driveshaft.
Metalcloak setups with shocks both result in more than 29” of extended shock length (all their JL kits say Driveshaft needed). That’s the trigger for driveshaft per RK, regardless of model. If you don’t want a DS you just need shorter shocks.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Metalcloak setups with shocks both result in more than 29” of extended shock length (all their JL kits say Driveshaft needed). That’s the trigger for driveshaft per RK, regardless of model. If you don’t want a DS you just need shorter shocks.
Yeah I think you would have to have pretty short shocks. The 4xe definitely has less clearance than a traditional gas JL lifted as far as the front drive shaft angle. Like I said I have the 2.5" spacer kit now and while it is okay for limited use, you would not want to to do any super heavy flexing.
Also Metalcloak says you "may" need a front driveshaft with the 2 1/2" on a gas JL but says you "will" need if you are running the 4xe. Considering everything I am just going to buy a new front driveshaft and not worry about it too much. I am sure someone will be out with them soon.

Sponsored

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
I called them the other day when they were running a sale to ask about the driveshaft thing, because their other lifts also say that but they have an option on them to buy a driveshaft from them while the 4xe does not. They said that you absolutely will need one if you take it offroad at all (do mall crawlers buy lift kits this nice?) but that they dont have any in yet so the option to include one is not there yet (but will be soon). I dont feel comfortable measuring for a driveshaft particularly when there is so little info out there on what other people have done so i decided to be okay missing out on the 10% discount and just waiting till I can get it all from them at once.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called them the other day when they were running a sale to ask about the driveshaft thing, because their other lifts also say that but they have an option on them to buy a driveshaft from them while the 4xe does not. They said that you absolutely will need one if you take it offroad at all (do mall crawlers buy lift kits this nice?) but that they dont have any in yet so the option to include one is not there yet (but will be soon). I dont feel comfortable measuring for a driveshaft particularly when there is so little info out there on what other people have done so i decided to be okay missing out on the 10% discount and just waiting till I can get it all from them at once.
Good on you for calling. I live fairly close to their main office and was going to run over and talk with them. I was going to get a bumper from them also. I missed the 10% off sale but I am sure they will have something after Christmas.

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yeah I think you would have to have pretty short shocks. The 4xe definitely has less clearance than a traditional gas JL lifted as far as the front drive shaft angle. Like I said I have the 2.5" spacer kit now and while it is okay for limited use, you would not want to to do any super heavy flexing.
Also Metalcloak says you "may" need a front driveshaft with the 2 1/2" on a gas JL but says you "will" need if you are running the 4xe. Considering everything I am just going to buy a new front driveshaft and not worry about it too much. I am sure someone will be out with them soon.
Not that I've got a gasser to compare to, but my assumption is that our trans is longer than a gasser if anything. That would decrease the angle on the DS (pushing the T-Case toward the back).

I have Bilstein 5100 3-4.5" lift shocks installed, and did my best to check driveshaft clearance in the garage when I put them on. The joint did not contact the yoke flange when I did it.

Not only are the 5100s affordable, they basically max out flex without passing the 29" RK recommendation.

While waiting on springs to be released, I've been running the TF 1.5" spacer (2" Front, 1.5" Rear). I initially used TF 2" shock extensions on the factory shocks before swapping to the 5100s. I have a set of the MC front control arms (upper and lower) already installed and Mopar 2" bump stop extensions. We've run trails designated "extremely difficult" with this setup and haven't had any issues.

Here's some data:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 1638801118384

Now, not only do the Rockports extend past the 29" mark as they are, Metalcloak also has shock brackets that extend it even further (if you use them).
https://metalcloak.com/6pak-front-upper-shock-mount-kit-jl-wrangler.html
https://metalcloak.com/outboard-shock-mount-spacer-relocation-kit-jl-lower-front.html
I believe I read the upper mount is a 3" extension, and lets just say the lower is a half inch. That gets you this crazy flex:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 1638801456339

As you can see, it results in WAY more than 29" extended, and I'm sure the stock DS would be hitting.

Note, the lift height doesn't actually matter, its the shocks/bump stops that determine how it flexes.

My plan is to eventually switch to an aftermarket DS and longer shocks. I can't use the outboard shock mounts from MC because of the backspacing on my wheels, but may be able to use the upper extensions.

Those looking at driveshafts should see if the driveshaft is different enough to require a custom shaft. Our driveshafts are two piece with a slip joint in the center (that's what the boot in the middle of the shaft covers), that slip joint may be adequate to allow for the droop as is.
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 1638802354297

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Not that I've got a gasser to compare to, but my assumption is that our trans is longer than a gasser if anything. That would decrease the angle on the DS (pushing the T-Case toward the back).

I have Bilstein 5100 3-4.5" lift shocks installed, and did my best to check driveshaft clearance in the garage when I put them on. The joint did not contact the yoke flange when I did it.

Not only are the 5100s affordable, they basically max out flex without passing the 29" RK recommendation.

While waiting on springs to be released, I've been running the TF 1.5" spacer (2" Front, 1.5" Rear). I initially used TF 2" shock extensions on the factory shocks before swapping to the 5100s. I have a set of the MC front control arms (upper and lower) already installed and Mopar 2" bump stop extensions. We've run trails designated "extremely difficult" with this setup and haven't had any issues.

Here's some data:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 1638802354297

Now, not only do the Rockports extend past the 29" mark as they are, Metalcloak also has shock brackets that extend it even further (if you use them).
https://metalcloak.com/outboard-shock-mount-spacer-relocation-kit-jl-lower-front.html
I believe I read the upper mount is a 3" extension, and lets just say the lower is a half inch. That gets you this crazy flex:

As you can see, it results in WAY more than 29" extended, and I'm sure the stock DS would be hitting.

Note, the lift height doesn't actually matter, its the shocks/bump stops that determine how it flexes.

My plan is to eventually switch to an aftermarket DS and longer shocks. I can't use the outboard shock mounts from MC because of the backspacing on my wheels, but may be able to use the upper extensions.

Those looking at driveshafts should see if the driveshaft is different enough to require a custom shaft. Our driveshafts are two piece with a slip joint in the center (that's what the boot in the middle of the shaft covers), that slip joint may be adequate to allow for the droop as is.
Do you have this spreadsheet with other shocks? Looks useful.

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I went ahead and uploaded the video I took of DS clearance with the Bilsteins, as you guys can see 28.43" of the 5100s is about as far as you can go and not make contact between the clamp and the flange.

Do you have this spreadsheet with other shocks? Looks useful.
Gotta give credit to @AnnDee4444 for this awesome spreadsheet/calculator. I've downloaded it and added a few options on my end, but his original sheet is available for download here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...gs-suspension-information-chart-matrix.66591/

Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here's some data:

Great information there. For now I have the 2.5" (3") front spacers. If I were to do it again I would go with the 1.5" kit. The 2.5" is a little too big for 35" tires in my opinion. My hope is the 2.5" springs, along with a winch, will put me down to about 2" in front.

I replaced my lower front control arms and put track bar relocation brackets front and rear. For shocks I went with the Fox 2"-3" lift shocks. Fox lists them at 29.55" so I will probably hit at full droop.

Great video of your front driveshaft. That is pretty much what I am seeing. Even if you don't hit that angle looks like it might eventually cause issues if you do much off-roading. I know everything is expensive but another $700 for an aftermarket DS is probably worth it to me to not having to worry. I have written a couple places to see what they say but have not heard back.

tstevens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4XE Rubicon, 2023 JLU 392 XR
A true lift kit. About time!
Evo has had one for a while as well, just have to call and get the 4XE springs as they're not online or at their distributor. Looks to be about the same as metalcloak, uses the diesel front springs and 4XE specific rear. The rest looks the same.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
MC springs showed up this week, will try to get them on this weekend.
Sponsored