hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to be upgrading my mopar lift to 3.5. Went over various options at 4WP. Tried to just add on a 2” Tera flex spacer but when you add in all the other parts you have to add to correct for geometry then it’s already $1k. So if spending that much might as well spend a little more and get a real lift so then thought about the rubicon express 3.5 but that’s not officially made for the 4xe so settled on the metal cloak 3.5 as that is specifically made for 4xe.

They said I can still use the fox shocks that came with the mopar 2” lift so that’s nice if true. Any issues or concerns doing that?
I would check on length/specs of Mopar lift fox shocks for the 3.5 MC
Sponsored

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I don't own a 4xe and have never been under one, but isn't the front driveshaft significantly longer due to the added electric motor? That would decrease the need for a front driveshaft as it travels in a larger arc. Logically it shouldn't bind for at least an inch or 2 more droop than the shorter/ standard JL?
It’s a little longer (~1.25”) but seems that the transmission skid is in the same place as the 2.0, so it hitting that seems to be the first hurdle.

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
They said I can still use the fox shocks that came with the mopar 2” lift so that’s nice if true. Any issues or concerns doing that?
They’re fine on compressed length, but you’ll be limited in droop to about 2”.

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Went ahead and calc'd it out for you using AnnDee4444's sticky spreadsheet. This is using approximately what I got with the 3.5" springs for ride height. Looks like you'll have ~2" of front droop and ~2.5" rear droop. I included the Metalcloak options and the Fox and Bilsteins for comparison:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 1648474059458

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It’s a little longer (~1.25”) but seems that the transmission skid is in the same place as the 2.0, so it hitting that seems to be the first hurdle.
The 29” maximum shock length is a carry over from the standard JL autos, that extra 1.25” length is pretty significant as far as the angle of the joint vs droop. Maybe the crossmember is now the limiting factor on a 4xe, but I have my doubts that it happens to be the exact number that was established for non-4xe’s? To me it sounds like lazy regurgitation of an accepted limit without anyone actually bothering to disconnect the shocks and see where the actual 4xe limit is, but I could be wrong.

Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Went ahead and calc'd it out for you using AnnDee4444's sticky spreadsheet. This is using approximately what I got with the 3.5" springs for ride height. Looks like you'll have ~2" of front droop and ~2.5" rear droop. I included the Metalcloak options and the Fox and Bilsteins for comparison:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 1648474059458
I appreciate the info. I’m not that familiar with droop. What is it and is 2” droop a bad thing?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I’m going to be upgrading my mopar lift to 3.5. Went over various options at 4WP. Tried to just add on a 2” Tera flex spacer but when you add in all the other parts you have to add to correct for geometry then it’s already $1k. So if spending that much might as well spend a little more and get a real lift so then thought about the rubicon express 3.5 but that’s not officially made for the 4xe so settled on the metal cloak 3.5 as that is specifically made for 4xe.

You could always add metal cloak shock relocation brackets to gain some droop with the fox shocks.

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The 29” maximum shock length is a carry over from the standard JL autos, that extra 1.25” length is pretty significant as far as the angle of the joint vs droop. Maybe the crossmember is now the limiting factor on a 4xe, but I have my doubts that it happens to be the exact number that was established for non-4xe’s? To me it sounds like lazy regurgitation of an accepted limit without anyone actually bothering to disconnect the shocks and see where the actual 4xe limit is, but I could be wrong.
I haven't remeasured since I replaced the transmission skid plate/bar, but I was touching the driveshaft to slip joint at 28.43" straight droop. I probably gained another 3/4" with the replacement (I dropped it hard on a rock). Gonna be somewhere around there though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 1648475122333

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I appreciate the info. I’m not that familiar with droop. What is it and is 2” droop a bad thing?
Droop is just a synonym for down travel. Its how far the shock will extend from ride height before it bottoms out and stops the suspension.

When you watch a Bronco video (or a JL one, just more fun to make fun of the Bronco) when it lifts a wheel, that's because that wheel is at full droop, and doesn't have enough droop to stay on the ground.

If you look at the axle angle column in the spread sheet, that's how much the axle can articulate compared to the frame, the more angle, the cooler you look on the RTI ramp, and the bigger the rock you can put one wheel on while still having the other on the ground (basically).

As to why it's important for on road ride quality, it's about bottoming/topping out the suspension. You'll have plenty of up travel, so it will be able to soak up the bumps up, but you also want to control the drops down. A stock Rubicon has about 3.75" up and down travel. Right now you have about 3.75" up and 4.25" down.

In all reality, 2" would probably be okay for on-road use, but I'd definitely consider swapping if you're looking for off-road performance.

As Zach mentioned, you may be able to use the MC lower shock brackets to gain some. But the upper brackets are about 3" and would make your shocks the bump stops unless you add 4" plus of bump extension compared to factory.

Sponsored

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 3CAF923C-3A4C-4B6C-8B50-3C2834D25E40
SOS! Need help please.

in the middle of putting the front of thelift on and I’m currently on the coils. The instructions say both that I should reuse and that I should remove the stock isolators.Do the stock isolators go on with the metalcloak ones? It feels impossible to get them on.
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 6DC11461-E151-4AD7-8EB2-F6C65BBD7F09

Last edited:
OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Wrangler 4xe Lift Kits Live (and install/clearance) 6DC11461-E151-4AD7-8EB2-F6C65BBD7F09
SOS! Need help please.

in the middle of putting the front of thelift on and I’m currently on the coils. The instructions say both that I should reuse and that I should remove the stock isolators.Do the stock isolators go on with the metalcloak ones? It feels impossible to get them on.
MC isolators only. Remove the stock one

OP
OP
GATORB8

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe