Sponsored

Metalcloak vs. Artec industries skids for 3.6?

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the the Artec aluminum and its fantastic. Install was fine, definitely easier with 2 people. Its taken a few good smacks so far, held up great, slight galling where it was dragged but I have no doubt they will last the life of my jeep. Bolts are sunk in so they don't smack and catch the way quadratecs will.
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I plan on slamming them into rocks and need something that can take a beat down and can be hammered back into shape.
I have beat the heck out of the artec aluminums on granite rocks in California and they have lots of scratches, no structural issues.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Glad to see the positive reviews on the Artec skids, the brown truck just brought me a set of the aluminum ones yesterday! Just a heads up, Artec is running a "Lockdown-Build-Up" sale on their site right now (through the end of the month) and is offering 20% off all their products.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Glad to see the positive reviews on the Artec skids, the brown truck just brought me a set of the aluminum ones yesterday! Just a heads up, Artec is running a "Lockdown-Build-Up" sale on their site right now (through the end of the month) and is offering 20% off all their products.
my advice is run the gas tank empty (or bring a buddy) and use zip ties to push the ratchet straps through to hold up the tank. North ridge did a video or write up on it. Other than that easy peasy

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I've been using Rusty's Off-road skids. Here is a shot right after install. Been working great, until my 1st oil change. The initial pour from the plug worked great but once the pressure got less, it was running down the skid and i had to keep relocating the drip pan.
A Fumoto drain valve will change your life.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
my advice is run the gas tank empty (or bring a buddy) and use zip ties to push the ratchet straps through to hold up the tank. North ridge did a video or write up on it. Other than that easy peasy
Yes, the less gas in the tank the better. I don’t know to say that it would be impossible to do this job by yourself, but it will be very beneficial to have a second set of hands to do the install

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes, the less gas in the tank the better. I don’t know to say that it would be impossible to do this job by yourself, but it will be very beneficial to have a second set of hands to do the install
Definitely run the tank as low as possible. I tried to run the ratchet strap but in the end it wasn't worth the effort. Instead I just had the other guy hold up the almost empty tank as I dropped the stock skid and bolted up the retaining strap. I found it much easier, if you have someone capable of holding up the tank.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Definitely run the tank as low as possible. I tried to run the ratchet strap but in the end it wasn't worth the effort. Instead I just had the other guy hold up the almost empty tank as I dropped the stock skid and bolted up the retaining strap. I found it much easier, if you have someone capable of holding up the tank.
I am about to do this install alone. The gas tank is as empty as I dare without running out of fuel (< 2 gallons). Is it not feasible to use a jack stand or floor jack to hold the tank up while securing the tank retaining strap?

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I am about to do this install alone. The gas tank is as empty as I dare without running out of fuel (< 2 gallons). Is it not feasible to use a jack stand or floor jack to hold the tank up while securing the tank retaining strap?
No, not really. The problem is that the entire bottom surface of the tank is covered by the skid. If you’re holding the tank up with a jack, you’re also holding up the skid, which obviously prevents you from removing said skid (or installing the new one).

I really think the easiest way to do it by yourself is to attach the end of the strap to an extra large zip-tie (or other long, semi-flexible object) to allow you to thread the strap between the loosened skid and the gas tank. The tolerances are tight making it nearly impossible to just push the strap through without something to guide it. With the tank as empty as you’ve got it, it’s really pretty easy to manage. The tank is plastic and is very light weight when empty. You just don’t want it to fall or hang freely by the connections as you may break something.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
No, not really. The problem is that the entire bottom surface of the tank is covered by the skid. If you’re holding the tank up with a jack, you’re also holding up the skid, which obviously prevents you from removing said skid (or installing the new one).

I really think the easiest way to do it by yourself is to attach the end of the strap to an extra large zip-tie (or other long, semi-flexible object) to allow you to thread the strap between the loosened skid and the gas tank. The tolerances are tight making it nearly impossible to just push the strap through without something to guide it. With the tank as empty as you’ve got it, it’s really pretty easy to manage. The tank is plastic and is very light weight when empty. You just don’t want it to fall or hang freely by the connections as you may break something.
Thanks. I do have some really long zip ties. I’ll try that.
Sponsored