Sponsored

Metalcloak vs. Artec industries skids for 3.6?

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I’m trying to decide whether to go with metalcloak or artec industries steel skids for my 3.6 unlimited. It sounds like both are great options but would love to hear from people who actually run these skids to see what their thoughts are to help me decide. The prices are exactly the same and both seem to provide similar protection, though metalcloak is zinc costed and artec are bare steel.

Thoughts? Thank you!
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I’m trying to decide whether to go with metalcloak or artec industries steel skids for my 3.6 unlimited. It sounds like both are great options but would love to hear from people who actually run these skids to see what their thoughts are to help me decide. The prices are exactly the same and both seem to provide similar protection, though metalcloak is zinc costed and artec are bare steel.

Thoughts? Thank you!
I do the trails with a couple guys and several have the MC, 2 with Artec, and one with Quadratecs. The Quad ones are the nicest by far which is surprising.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We’ve done MC and artec aluminum. Both are excellent. No experience with artec steel but between the two listed, I’d go MC because they come ready to install with a great finish that holds up to abuse

Brett

OP
OP
RockyMtJL

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is interesting. What makes the quad the nicest?

I do the trails with a couple guys and several have the MC, 2 with Artec, and one with Quadratecs. The Quad ones are the nicest by far which is surprising.

OP
OP
RockyMtJL

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Any idea on the weight of the MC?

We’ve done MC and artec aluminum. Both are excellent. No experience with artec steel but between the two listed, I’d go MC because they come ready to install with a great finish that holds up to abuse

Brett

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t used the others, but I have the MC system. I will say that it installed really easily by myself and everything lined up well. I installed it in January and took it to Moab twice in February and it took a few hits and did fine. Probably only done 6 trails with it so far so not a whole lot of use yet. We’ll see how it holds up to a summer of Colorado trails.

Only downside is the weight, which I would think would be similar across all steel systems. But it is a very sturdy product

Not sure where you are located, but I’m in Colorado if you want to see it. Arvada area.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
That is interesting. What makes the quad the nicest?
They are just really well engineered and the finish quality is excellent. Nice beefy replacement cross members included.

I think the Quad ones must be mass produced versus low volume fabrications. Check out the picture and they stiffener ridges are obvious stamped. The slots are die pressed. Complex compound bend work that fits perfectly.

quadratec-skid-plate-kit%20silver-jl-12500%200283-on-lift.jpg

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Since you are talking about steel skid plates i personally would go metalcloak over artec since the metalcloak comes zinc coated. On the other hand I have nothing against artec’s design and i feel it fits and works well sinceI have the aluminum skid plates.

Last edited:

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Any idea on the weight of the MC?
I love the MC skids... they hold up nicely to abuse. Three pieces, total weight is about 160 lbs (I have a 2-door, 3.6L). Worth every penny.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, aluminum only. Not sure why you would go steel except cost?
I think it depends on the kind of abuse you plan to give it. The quadratec aluminum is the same price (ish) as many steel offerings. The strength of steel is stronger than aluminum for any given thickness. Also the quadratec ones have less coverage area than several others. I’d bet the quadratec ones are perfect for lots of people. I wanted a little more coverage and also wanted the additional piece of mind that they would hold up to my abuse. I did seriously consider the quadratec ones. They look like a good product.

I realize many race rigs have aluminum and that it can be awesome too, but they are also racing a clock and have budgets to replace stuff. Also can spend more to get it right up front with more cross members/supports.

I don’t recall the artec aluminum being available when I researched my purchase or maybe I missed them. They look pretty good

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just FYI
I have the Quadratec aluminum skids and they bent pretty easily on my first trip, even the steel cross member. Nothing extreme either. Also the exposed bolts got hammered. Lastly, I called to see if I could buy a replacement cross member by itself (I would keep running them if I could get that relatively cheap), and was told no. I’d have buy the engine skid complete set for any replacement bits. I’m a big Quadratec fan in general and was really disappointed.

I plan to go MC next time.

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using Rusty's Off-road skids. Here is a shot right after install. Been working great, until my 1st oil change. The initial pour from the plug worked great but once the pressure got less, it was running down the skid and i had to keep relocating the drip pan.

0331201922_HDR.jpg
Sponsored