Metalcloak underarmor installed

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I finally got the Metalcloak underarmor for the diesel installed today. Also the Rock Hard FAD skid plus the front and rear control arm, shock skids. Early next year I will get the GC. One step at a time. Budget allowing.

20201003_105947.jpg

20201003_105909.jpg

20201003_105855.jpg

20201003_105843.jpg

20200926_122411.jpg
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Nice. I just installed the RockHard FAD skid a couple of days ago too. My complaint is that I had to remove the LCA bolt/nut to get the FAD skid in place with the LCA skids and I couldn’t get that LCA skid shim back in place with the FAD skid installed. But I can see you did so I’ll take a look again tomorrow.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice. I just installed the RockHard FAD skid a couple of days ago too. My complaint is that I had to remove the LCA bolt/nut to get the FAD skid in place with the LCA skids and I couldn’t get that LCA skid shim back in place with the FAD skid installed. But I can see you did so I’ll take a look again tomorrow.
From everything I read it's best to install the LCA skids before you install the FAD skid. Luckily I had a good installer. Total labor cost for the FAD plate and the other stuff was only $120.00. To me this was the best way to go.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I just purchased LCA. Skids from Rock Hard...says to torque to 130 ft lbs. JL torque specs say 190 ft lbs for LCAs. what did you do? I added LCAs from Synergy and specs from them also say 190 ft lbs.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just purchased LCA. Skids from Rock Hard...says to torque to 130 ft lbs. JL torque specs say 190 ft lbs for LCAs. what did you do? I added LCAs from Synergy and specs from them also say 190 ft lbs.
Not sure. I will check with the installer what torque was applied.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Skids look good, Mike! I've been adding MC to my cart daily for the last few weeks (since before I had the JL yet). I go around in circles though regarding the control arm and FAD skids. What made you pick the Rock Hard?

I had Rock Hard skids on my JKUR. They held up pretty well, but the powder coating didn't last very long, and after a good hit to the T-case skid I had enough of a deformation in the middle that basically made the skid permanent (too hard to remove and realign the bolts).

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Skids look good, Mike! I've been adding MC to my cart daily for the last few weeks (since before I had the JL yet). I go around in circles though regarding the control arm and FAD skids. What made you pick the Rock Hard?

I had Rock Hard skids on my JKUR. They held up pretty well, but the powder coating didn't last very long, and after a good hit to the T-case skid I had enough of a deformation in the middle that basically made the skid permanent (too hard to remove and realign the bolts).
It was a toss up which way to go. Both products are really good. Both use the same thickness of metal. I decided on MC underarmor mostly due to the corrosion resistant coating they use. I went with Rock Hard for the LCA and FAD skids because they use 1/4 inch plate steel.
Next upgrade, the lift. Really haven't decided yet on 2.5 or 3.5. Next year.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Not sure. I will check with the installer what torque was applied.
A contacted Rock Hard....I thought there might be some serious engineering behind the recommendation. The response I got was that 100ft lbs worked for them but feel free to torque to 190 ft lbs. I’m sure the 10.9 bolt supplied can handle that, not so sure about the nylon lock nut. May just reused the factory nut and crank it down...

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
It was a toss up which way to go. Both products are really good. Both use the same thickness of metal. I decided on MC underarmor mostly due to the corrosion resistant coating they use. I went with Rock Hard for the LCA and FAD skids because they use 1/4 inch plate steel.
Next upgrade, the lift. Really haven't decided yet on 2.5 or 3.5. Next year.
I too am on the fence about 2.5 or 3.5. One of these days I'll decide. ;-)
Sponsored