Sponsored

Metalcloak transmission crossmember

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Figured I would start a new thread on this: https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-crossmember-upgrade.html

This appears to be used in their long-arm & radius arm kits, but I see it as being useful for the lower ride-heights that relay on skid plates. Might even stiffen the chassis some (not that I have any complaints). I hope it works with the 2-door gas tank (including the 2018).

6361-new-with-logo.jpg
6361-jl-wrangler-crossmember-upgrade-1.jpg

6361-jl-wrangler-crossmember-upgrade-3.jpg

For reference:

jeep_jl_oil_transmission_skid_plate_jlopsp_1@2x.jpg

ef0a215d-43d4-4b96-b856-5d3cb91eedec-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I assume the MetalCloak crossmember is the big gold one marked as such? I was thinking initially when I saw this it replaced either of the other 2 crossmembers. But your photo changes that entirely. Where did you get that photo from? Doesn’t look like it’s on their site.

Edit: looks like photo is from CJ Pony Parts

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
Unless installing MC's long arm suspension, or replacing a damaged cross member, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to buy and install this. Am I missing something?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Unless installing MC's long arm suspension, or replacing a damaged cross member, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to buy and install this. Am I missing something?
Nope, the stock crossmember is stout. We beat the underside of our 2019 mercilessly over the years, bending all of the stock "bash bars", the asfir skid plates and even denting the oil pan before the skids went on and never had a single issue or bend of any kind in the factory crossmember. If you just like the shiny gold zinc, that's about the only benefit I see short of going to their long arms.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I was hoping it would be a replacement for the stock crossmembers. One of mine was removed with the MORE oil pan skid leaving the back one. But the stock crossmembers hang down and are a point of possible hang ups on rocks. Doesn’t look like this is a replacement for that anyways since the rear one is used for the stock transfer case skid.

Sponsored

Metalcloak

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Metalcloak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLR
Thank you to the OP for the thread. The basic perception here is correct, the stock crossmember is very stout which is one reason we chose not to replace it when installing our Undercloak skid plates.

However, it was necessary to design our new crossmember to facilitate the design of the new Long Arm kits.

It was no big leap to offer it as a potential replacement for stock (or other aftermarket) if needed.

- Matson

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thank you to the OP for the thread. The basic perception here is correct, the stock crossmember is very stout which is one reason we chose not to replace it when installing our Undercloak skid plates.

However, it was necessary to design our new crossmember to facilitate the design of the new Long Arm kits.

It was no big leap to offer it as a potential replacement for stock (or other aftermarket) if needed.

- Matson
Thanks for being honest about it's use.

Since you're here, I have a request for a product: some sort of bracket that reinforces the Rubicon/Mopar "rock rails". I know the rear steel bumper bracket's original purpose wasn't to reinforce the bumper, but I'm sure you've sold at least a few of them... OEM rock rail reinforcement would complete the package for those who like the stock look.

Metalcloak

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Metalcloak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLR
OEM rock rail reinforcement would complete the package for those who like the stock look.
Not a bad suggestion. I will bring it up to the team. The big question, since I haven't done it my self yet... what happens to the stock one when it gets hit? Maybe you could start a thread with that question so we don't hijack this one. - Matson

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0