Metalcloak Tie Rod Finish

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I just received my tie rod from Metalcloak and it has the finish in the pictures. The Draglink and track bar are smooth. Metalcloak says this is normal in their manufacturing process. Anyone have a comparison? Thanks

20201226_164154.jpg

20201226_164133.jpg
Sponsored

SmilesPerGallon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
This is completely normal. My gold coating on all my Metalcloak parts is similar to this. Its also not really a coating as far as I know. Its a chemical treatment to prevent rust so I think it goes deeper than the surface.

OP
OP
ResqFE

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Wasnt what I expected as normal. To me normal is abit more finished and prepwork before coating is applied. Might be durable but looks sloppy.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Hey Ron, my Metal Cloak steering linkage looks the same. Your good.

Have installed yours yet? I love mine.

-Steven

SmilesPerGallon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
Hey Ron, my Metal Cloak steering linkage looks the same. Your good.

Have installed yours yet? I love mine.

-Steven
I have all Metalcloak goodies on my JK. Tie rod, drag link, relocation brackets, shocks and steering stabilizer and all the part looked like this brand new. I wheel my JK harder than I should for having no lockers and a Dana 30 up front and the parts have all taken plenty of hit on rocks with no rust and minimal coating damage. Also been through deep water and mud and the components are still working perfectly. Last weekend the rear tire slipped and the jeep slid into a deep crevice and hit so hard on the right side slider it shattered my windshield on the passenger side and landed on the tie rod as well and the tie rod is still straight as the day I put it on.

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I have all Metalcloak goodies on my JK. Tie rod, drag link, relocation brackets, shocks and steering stabilizer and all the part looked like this brand new. I wheel my JK harder than I should for having no lockers and a Dana 30 up front and the parts have all taken plenty of hit on rocks with no rust and minimal coating damage. Also been through deep water and mud and the components are still working perfectly. Last weekend the rear tire slipped and the jeep slid into a deep crevice and hit so hard on the right side slider it shattered my windshield on the passenger side and landed on the tie rod as well and the tie rod is still straight as the day I put it on.
Thanks for the info! That's been my experience with MC, rock solid and the finish can stand up to a salty Chicago winter as well as take a beating on the rocks.

-Steven

OP
OP
ResqFE

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I will give ya durable but its unrefined looking versus powdercoated one. A crappy looking piece steel with a transparent coat so you can see all everyfhing. I will prob throw some rattle can black over it. Worse part of it all is their customer service blew me off.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t believe it’s intended to look like a finished, powder coated surface. It’s a rust prevention treatment, not a paint application.

Tie rod is going to get scraped up on rocks anyhow. My Steersmarts rod is powder coated black, but it’s been scraped up and touched up with rattle can spray so many times that it looks pretty rough if you actually get close enough to notice. Who’s looking closely at a tie rod anyway?

I think this one is a case of not understanding what was being purchased. I have no idea how MC customer service handled the pillow talk, but I don’t see a need for them to do anything about it.
Sponsored