Metalcloak Tie Rod and Drag Link

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
No leaks. There is a "pressure relief port" that if overfilled will allow grease to come out, but otherwise, the grease remains inside.
Sounds like a better design! Did you use the metalcloak steering stabilizer bracket? I wonder if I could just use my synergy bracket and metalcloaks clamp. The grease always leaking out drives me crazy enough that I might just replace the tie rod with MC's but do not like their bracket setup.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a better design! Did you use the metalcloak steering stabilizer bracket? I wonder if I could just use my synergy bracket and metalcloaks clamp. The grease always leaking out drives me crazy enough that I might just replace the tie rod with MC's but do not like their bracket setup.
I have the Synergy relocation kit with a FOX steering stabilizer. Of the many things that MC builds nearly all of them are "overbuilt" except that goofy looking u-bolt relocation clamp. The Synergy unit did not require any drilling either. MC has now released a much beefier version (https://metalcloak.com/steering-stabilizer-billet-mount-jk-jl-jt.html) that is on par with the Synergy unit, but their kit still requires drilling, which I did not want to do.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I have the Synergy relocation kit with a FOX steering stabilizer. Of the many things that MC builds nearly all of them are "overbuilt" except that goofy looking u-bolt relocation clamp. The Synergy unit did not require any drilling either. MC has now released a much beefier version (https://metalcloak.com/steering-stabilizer-billet-mount-jk-jl-jt.html) that is on par with the Synergy unit, but their kit still requires drilling, which I did not want to do.
Yeah I like the new clamp. So you have the synergy bracket that attaches to the axle? That is the one I’m using currently.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I like the new clamp. So you have the synergy bracket that attaches to the axle? That is the one I’m using currently.
Yes, correct. The only thing I changed was the button head bolt to a serrated flange bolt and thicker, larger washer with some blue loctite. I did not like the button head bolt, it may have been fine, but I did not want to take a chance.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yes, correct. The only thing I changed was the button head bolt to a serrated flange bolt and thicker, larger washer with some blue loctite. I did not like the button head bolt, it may have been fine, but I did not want to take a chance.
Ah yeah my button head bolt has been solid. Thanks for the info! MC is local to me so I’ll see if I can get my eyes on one

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Reviving this thread. Long term reviews, thoughts, opinions of the Metalcloak steering setup? Considering Metalcloak since I have their suspension and Steersmarts. Thanks!

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
When the tie rod ends wear out, where do you get repair parts?

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the full MC 2.5 GC + Tie rod & Drag link. They should almost include the TR & DL in the kit, but it would make it very unattractive cost wise.

It rides great. I had it installed at Cloakworks (@Metalcloak) and one of the guys made a comment outside that I'd be able to cruise 90 down the highway without issue if I wanted and he was right. Still a Jeep so wouldn't make a habit out of it, but I brought it up to speed on a couple sections of nice highway and it drives very confidently.
Update on my install. I had a out of round tire that was causing the vibrations. The kit is working flawless now. Also just installed trackbars. This things are HD compared to stock.
I just had the @Metalcloak tie-rod, drag link, and trackbar installed and can report that this stuff is super quality, extreme heavy duty, and well worth the cost. The OEM stuff looks like toothpicks compared to the MC hardware. In addition, the MC hardware has grease zerks so that you can keep them lubed.
Any long term reviews. How have they held up?

Sponsored

orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Clubs

I hit a stump yesterday and my wheel is crooked, giving me a ESC warning.

which jam nut do you loosen in order to rotate the part of the MetalCloak drag link to straighten the steering wheel?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I hit a stump yesterday and my wheel is crooked, giving me a ESC warning.

which jam nut do you loosen in order to rotate the part of the MetalCloak drag link to straighten the steering wheel?
Middle and pitman end, rotate the stubby section.

Tpsillos

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD
Occupation
Welding Inspector
Clubs

Bent my MC tie rod a little on a rock the other day, just put new rod ends in it too 🙄

GavinH

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Bent my MC tie rod a little on a rock the other day, just put new rod ends in it too 🙄
How hard did you come down on it? About to purchase mine waiting to see if they do a black Friday deal but curious how much it took to bend it.
Sponsored