Metalcloak Tie Rod and Drag Link

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is anyone running Metalcloak steering components? Reviews, thoughts, opinions?
Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Is anyone running Metalcloak steering components? Reviews, thoughts, opinions?
I have the drag link and track bar. Synergy tie-rod, Fox TS Stabilizer, but not the ATS. My steering is "okay." I don't have death wobble, but I get a minor wobble over some bumps, usually when going 25-35. I haven't been able to fix it yet, but I've gotten pretty close. I am adjusting the angle to get it to match the track-bar. I think I may need a relocation bracket to completely fix it, but I'm not ready to go there since I'm still doing a bottom mount drag-link.

It was aligned at a jeep specialty shop and the wheel is straight. Only issue is the slight wobble due to the angle difference.

Edit: I also have Gamechanger 3.5 with rocksport shocks.

Last edited:

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I have the full MC 2.5 GC + Tie rod & Drag link. They should almost include the TR & DL in the kit, but it would make it very unattractive cost wise.

It rides great. I had it installed at Cloakworks (@Metalcloak) and one of the guys made a comment outside that I'd be able to cruise 90 down the highway without issue if I wanted and he was right. Still a Jeep so wouldn't make a habit out of it, but I brought it up to speed on a couple sections of nice highway and it drives very confidently.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the replies. I do not have death wobble but I do have loose wandering steering. I have a 3.5 Gamechanger on my Rubicon. The added caster definitely helped but I am constantly correcting/fighting it on the highway. I won't let my wife drive it right now. It was actually worse before the lift.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same exact issue until I had the TR & DL done and got re-aligned following. Wife would not touch it and I would not let her... which is contrary to everything I've fought for over the years :CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had the same exact issue until I had the TR & DL done and got re-aligned following. Wife would not touch it and I would not let her... which is contrary to everything I've fought for over the years :CWL:
Maybe I should let my wife drive it a couple days. Then she might not complain as much when I want to spend more money on it. Haha

ClevelandWhat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I also have the 2.5 game changer on 37s. I don’t mind how it drives as I’ve gotten used to it. Drives great in the city and on the highway most the times. But there are times I have to fight it and the steering has a little play in it. You’re saying the tie rod and drag link will probably get rid of this and make the front end feel stiffer and more responsive?

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never had play in the wheel, was more a wondering issue that it resolved for me.

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
I just installed this kit because was looking for a better feeling. Is definitely tighter, not a day and night difference but more sensitive to the road for sure. Still need to get it aligned, the first attempt at the shop wasn’t perfect. It drifts to the right and is a pain to adjust. When you tighten the nuts to dialed in the angle it comes off.

would I buy it again? Maybe not. The steering wheel still has some play, but is a Jeep. The road feeling is a little rougher and has more sensitivity to the roa

Is it more durable than OEM? By far. The ball joints are huge.

installation: instructions are ok, not the best (is not step by step in details) so if is your first time your time, make sure you have the pitman pulley or pickle fork and a grease gun to live up the joints. The steering stabilizer requires drilling.

D5E61CD8-A27D-4D36-BF84-6D133FD4DD5D.jpeg

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just installed this kit because was looking for a better feeling. Is definitely tighter, not a day and night difference but more sensitive to the road for sure. Still need to get it aligned, the first attempt at the shop wasn’t perfect. It drifts to the right and is a pain to adjust. When you tighten the nuts to dialed in the angle it comes off.

would I buy it again? Maybe not. The steering wheel still has some play, but is a Jeep. The road feeling is a little rougher and has more sensitivity to the roa

Is it more durable than OEM? By far. The ball joints are huge.

installation: instructions are ok, not the best (is not step by step in details) so if is your first time your time, make sure you have the pitman pulley or pickle fork and a grease gun to live up the joints. The steering stabilizer requires drilling.
since yo were trying to improve steering I feel you might skipped a very important component upgrade- the track bar.

Sponsored

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
since yo were trying to improve steering I feel you might skipped a very important component upgrade- the track bar.

actually that’s my next step. I noticed the oem track bar is not aligned perfectly. Taking measurements from the left and right tires to the spring tower. They are off by 1inch.

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Update on my install. I had a out of round tire that was causing the vibrations. The kit is working flawless now. Also just installed trackbars. This things are HD compared to stock.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I just had the @Metalcloak tie-rod, drag link, and trackbar installed and can report that this stuff is super quality, extreme heavy duty, and well worth the cost. The OEM stuff looks like toothpicks compared to the MC hardware. In addition, the MC hardware has grease zerks so that you can keep them lubed.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I just had the @Metalcloak tie-rod, drag link, and trackbar installed and can report that this stuff is super quality, extreme heavy duty, and well worth the cost. The OEM stuff looks like toothpicks compared to the MC hardware. In addition, the MC hardware has grease zerks so that you can keep them lubed.
Do the boots leak at all on the tie rod? My synergy boots always leak..very annoying.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Do the boots leak at all on the tie rod? My synergy boots always leak..very annoying.
No leaks. There is a "pressure relief port" that if overfilled will allow grease to come out, but otherwise, the grease remains inside.
Sponsored