Sponsored

Metalcloak, Synergy, Teraflex for track bars & LCA's to improve steering?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
This factory track bar is junk, I think it’s made out of recycled beer cans, lol
Don't be so hard on them. Think of it as being...environmentally-friendly.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Don't be so hard on them. Think of it as being...environmentally-friendly.
When I took mine off, I’m pretty sure, in just the right light I saw king of beers on it. So instinctively I crushed it on my head like we did in college. Come to think about it that’s probably what’s wrong with me today..........:facepalm:

Last edited:

oasisblue8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I put the Mopar lift LCAs on my non-lifted JLR. They are ¼” longer than the stock LCAs and got my caster from 4.3 to 6 and that made a big difference. I went with the Mopar because they were cheaper and thought that the dealer wouldn’t be able to tell that I swapped them out, which was true. I wish now that I had gotten the MC LCAs to try a little more caster.
If dealers notice do they then typically not service these steering problems?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
If dealers notice do they then typically not service these steering problems?
I’ve read that some dealers will and some won’t.

One thing in my favor for them working on mine with the aftermarket parts is that I had my Jeep in at two weeks for steering while it was completely stock.

I replaced the LCAs after that appointment. They saw it two more times for steering with the lift LCAs and didn’t say anything. I put the Falcon SS and Yeti track bar on after the third appointment.

On the fourth visit (last one to this point), they said they might want to take it back to stock to troubleshoot the problem since the replacement AD box did *nothing* to improve the steering.

At this point, I’m waiting for the regional FCA engineer to look at it. The FCA rep said we can keep the aftermarket parts on.

I would imagine that if I had the aftermarket parts on the first time they saw it, it would be a different story.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the issue is the track bar personally. Yes, the track bar isn't as beefy as aftermarket but I have a hard time believing it is flexing while turning at speed. I could see it flexing when you are sitting still on concrete and turning the wheel back and forth. There's a lot of friction and torque going on there. But, when you are going down the road at 50mph+ there should be a lot less effective friction.

So, I'm not sure I buy that a flexing track bar is causing the steering play with the wheel at center. I don't really have play anywhere but the center of the wheel too. People have posted videos of them turning the wheel and there essentially being no output from the steering box to the pitman arm. The track bar isn't causing that issue.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I don't think the issue is the track bar personally. Yes, the track bar isn't as beefy as aftermarket but I have a hard time believing it is flexing while turning at speed. I could see it flexing when you are sitting still on concrete and turning the wheel back and forth. There's a lot of friction and torque going on there. But, when you are going down the road at 50mph+ there should be a lot less effective friction.

So, I'm not sure I buy that a flexing track bar is causing the steering play with the wheel at center. I don't really have play anywhere but the center of the wheel too. People have posted videos of them turning the wheel and there essentially being no output from the steering box to the pitman arm. The track bar isn't causing that issue.
Agreed. A stronger track bar is nice, but I suspect the issue is due to: 1) Factory alignment problems (that unfortunately can't easily be corrected due to lack of post production adjustment options), and/or 2) Issues with the new electric steering in a Wrangler application (other vehicles also have electric steering complains about vagueness and dead zones).

Maybe someone can graft on an old school Saginaw steering box with canned-ham pump. :)

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can have a hard time believing it....but a 5 link suspension; specifically one that uses a panhard or track bar typically relies on the track bar to locate the axle side to side via that SINGLE link; unlike a double triangulated 4 link that shares that duty between ALL FOUR links.

I'm definitely NOT saying it is the definitive cause of the JL's steering play....but it could definitely be a contributing factor.
I am aware that nearly every single piece of the suspension could be a contributing factor. What I am trying to say is when we're talking 100% stock Jeeps with less than 200 miles on them having steering play, I have my doubts that the track bar is the top contributor.

OP
OP
Woodbridge

Woodbridge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I'm the OP here... I'm going to chip away at little simple things starting with front and rear track bars (probably Teraflex or MC). Then slightly longer LCA'S so I can get caster in the 6-7 degree range. Then 4 new Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks to compliment my Fox ATS SS.

Shy of the above, it's FCA's legal responsibility to determine and execute proper warranty replacement parts if it ultimately turns out to be the steering box...of which mine is currently the latest one FCA offers.

And again, I am not lifting my JLUR.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
if your interested I have a brand new tera flex track bar for 0-6" lifts.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I won't tell anyone what's wrong with their steering, because I've read enough here to know there are multiple issues.

I just had a wandering/loose feel in the steering. Also, it felt like there was a lag. I could move the steering wheel slightly at highway speed and it would take a bit before it responded.

I ordered a bunch of parts for the steering, but wanted to change the track bar first. I changed it to a SteerSmarts Yeti Pro (polyurethane bushings). All the lag and wandering is gone. I'm on a hunting trip just days after it was changed. I feel it drives great at speeds up to 75 mph. I don't feel any need for more caster. My caster is 4.6-4.8 just like my GM truck and cars. My opinion is that big caster numbers mask the real issues. Besides, if you lift a jeep, more caster requires that you rotate the axle in the wrong direction for optimum pinion angle.

In the garage, I have SteerSmarts draglink and tierod, along with a Falcon steering damper. But honestly, I feel no need for them. Just my experience with my Oct 18 built JLUR with the original parts except the track bar.

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I am aware that nearly every single piece of the suspension could be a contributing factor. What I am trying to say is when we're talking 100% stock Jeeps with less than 200 miles on them having steering play, I have my doubts that the track bar is the top contributor.
You can have a hard time believing it....but a 5 link suspension; specifically one that uses a panhard or track bar typically relies on the track bar to locate the axle side to side via that SINGLE link; unlike a double triangulated 4 link that shares that duty between ALL FOUR links.

I'm definitely NOT saying it is the definitive cause of the JL's steering play....but it could definitely be a contributing factor.

I can tell you for certain, my track bar was allowing a "dead zone", "wandering", "shimmy", "steering lag". I replaced only the track bar with a Steersmarts Yeti XD Pro (polyurethane bushings) and it is now a "normal" driving vehicle with no notable steering dead zone or wandering. The shimmy that happened when going over road bumps at highway speeds is also gone. No other mods. On examining the OEM track bar, it was clear the rubber bushings were working so hard that they were producing black rubber dust. My Jeep had about 6000 miles on it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I won't tell anyone what's wrong with their steering, because I've read enough here to know there are multiple issues.

I just had a wandering/loose feel in the steering. Also, it felt like there was a lag. I could move the steering wheel slightly at highway speed and it would take a bit before it responded.

I ordered a bunch of parts for the steering, but wanted to change the track bar first. I changed it to a SteerSmarts Yeti Pro (polyurethane bushings). All the lag and wandering is gone. I'm on a hunting trip just days after it was changed. I feel it drives great at speeds up to 75 mph. I don't feel any need for more caster. My caster is 4.6-4.8 just like my GM truck and cars. My opinion is that big caster numbers mask the real issues. Besides, if you lift a jeep, more caster requires that you rotate the axle in the wrong direction for optimum pinion angle.

In the garage, I have SteerSmarts draglink and tierod, along with a Falcon steering damper. But honestly, I feel no need for them. Just my experience with my Oct 18 built JLUR with the original parts except the track bar.
I agree with most of this except the caster. Different vehicles are designed with different caster angles. The pinion on the jeep is set up for higher caster. It doesn't mask anything. It's literally the fix for a lot of issues. Jeeps have had factory caster angles of 6+ degrees for decades. The caster on your truck and cars is irrelevant.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It’s really all in the steering box. I’ve added everything known to man and steering still is piss poor. I recently bought a new box and am having it tapped for hydro. I’m done chasing this problem and want it gone once and for all.
Hydro you say??
It’s really all in the steering box. I’ve added everything known to man and steering still is piss poor. I recently bought a new box and am having it tapped for hydro. I’m done chasing this problem and want it gone once and for all.
Hydro assist you say, hmm! Who’s doing it? Redneck? Definitely share the install when you get it done, I’m really not that far behind you. I like the idea of buying another box and keeping the sock one intact.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I agree with Roky, my new jl r was almost un drivable over 50. It has mopar lift and 35s. I replaced spring perchs, lca,s tracbars front and rear and adjusted tow in a bit. It drives better at 80 than 50 before.
I went with rock krawler because i want a uniball instead of rubber bushing. Its as perfect as a jeep can be now.
Where is your caster and toe set?