Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I hope they fit :fingerscrossed:

I have a set of MR106's (beadlock version of those) going on this weekend, I can't see why they won't but I'll post up my findings either way

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

I have a set of MR106's (beadlock version of those) going on this weekend, I can't see why they won't but I'll post up my findings either way
Here's a view of my spare with 71.5 hub bore. It'll fit as long as the hub has a bore which is a consistent 71.5mm. The only JL wheel's I've heard of which aren't a consistent 71.5mm are a few of the AEV wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please IMG_0156

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Fits like a glove. Just finished the install, just need the third brake light that arrives tomorrow. I absolutely love it...I have my rear window back and the tire is now much more secure pressed up against the stock spacers.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon

Sponsored

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
While I haven’t added a lot of upgrades (wheels, tires, lift and now this tire carrier), I’m absolutely thrilled with how it turned out. I have my back window back now and I love the look with where my tire is now (much lower and closer to the Jeep) versus where it was. I swear the Jeep even drives better now as the 5th wheel isn’t as far out as it used to be. I’ve posted old and new pics below:

Old (embarrassed a bit of these):
Rough Country Relocator bracket I probably never needed for 35’s (notice how far off the bump stops the tire was)
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please 8A1141E3-A075-4BC0-AD32-1386D77221A4

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please 8841B971-B561-4C86-BB28-6F605492B4A9

New:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please AD07BB6F-5573-464D-8116-69379E52BB76

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please 8ADCC1A4-51E1-4A86-B18B-2F43DFB2DEC6

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
While I haven’t added a lot of upgrades (wheels, tires, lift and now this tire carrier), I’m absolutely thrilled with how it turned out. I have my back window back now and I love the look with where my tire is now (much lower and closer to the Jeep) versus where it was. I swear the Jeep even drives better now as the 5th wheel isn’t as far out as it used to be. I’ve posted old and new pics below:

Old (embarrassed a bit of these):
Rough Country Relocator bracket I probably never needed for 35’s (notice how far off the bump stops the tire was)
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please 8ADCC1A4-51E1-4A86-B18B-2F43DFB2DEC6

New:

Looks much better! I wish companies would stop offering spare relocation brackets unless they address extending the bump stops. Glad everything fits and you're happy with it!

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

I can verify that the 17x9 5x5 Method MR106's will fit a 100% stock tire carrier and camera fine. Got mine mounted up today and had no issues.

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
Did anyone ever figure out for sure what the stock wheel issue is? The bore? Backspacing? The possible backspacing reason sounds off to me, for two reasons:

1. Why not just say “wheels with backspacing less than X.XX required”, like pretty much everything else that requires less backspacing (looking at you, suspension upgrades)?
2. Related to #1, backspacing is all over the place with different wheels, so if it’s a backspacing issue it seems like they’d want to be specific?

csar240oz

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUSa, 21 JLUR,Nissan s13,Ducati Scrambler
looks like it's discontinued can't find it on their website.....bummer
hopefully they can address the camera holder to fit other wheels with smaller center cap

Sponsored

Stinger21rubi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just finished the install of the Metalcloak sportgate tire carrier. I can tell you the thing is sturdy and so far I am impressed with it. I did want to make some notes for anyone installing this tire carrer, as the directions are not very clear with several things:

1. Do NOT cut the green and white wire. I was skeptical on this, so decided to look into it, and it's a much better approach to take apart the stock 3rd brake light holder and disconnect the brake light at the connection, which is what I ended up doing. It's very easy to do, took an extra 3 mins to get all the torx screws out and unclip the wiring. You can then easily purchase a 3rd brake light relo kit and mount and connect with no splicing or additional wiring.
2. For newer JL's, I believe 2021 and newer, there is no metal bracket for the backup camera. Instead it is an angled black plastic piece, three small holes that line up perfectly to the camera mounting. You just screw it down and slide into the circular tube on the mount. There is a small notch at the bottom to be lined up, and two small screws secure it from the bottom as well.
3. Do not even come close to tightening any of the bolts down, I mean leave them SUPER loose. You will not be able to get your hand behind the adjustable bracket to hold the nuts while you secure the bolts.

I think that's pretty much it, hope this helps someone

ahmedroyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
I read through the entire tire carrier thread and searched the forum. The only real mentions of Metalcloaks tire carrier are in one of the forum members build threads. I am in a search for a tire carrier that will give me some adjustability for the camera, hold a 37" Ridge Grappler on a Machete beadlock wheel (3.5" backspace), and not break the bank (bonus points for being made in the

USA):flag:. I plan to put a LED disk light behind the wheel for a 3rd brake light. I still have my oem plastic bumpers and would like to continue to use the rear one. I really like the LOD front Signature series bumper AND their rear with tire carrier....I just cant seem to justify the cost to myself for holding a spare tire. I like the EVO setup but it is on backorder everywhere. The Teraflex is nice too, but it doesn't reinforce the tailgate. So, back to the MC SportGate Tire Carrier. Anyone have feedback on form, fit, function?
I agree, I would go the brake light ring as well here. Which one did you buy? Was it difficult to install ?

Last edited:

ahmedroyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
The Mopar CHMSL relocation looks like a PIA each time you rotate a tire. And I got spline style lugs (I think) so comparability issues I believe.

Speed Test
Sponsored

Last edited: