Metalcloak SportGate Tire carrier Opinions please

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Very very interesting! I’m contacting them now.
@limeade I spoke to the Sales Rep who was pretty knowledgeable about the tire carries as he has the prior version of this on his JL. He noted the cost increase was two-fold: (1) Increase cost in steel and (2) "A complete redesign" but when I asked what that meant, he wasn't exactly sure.

I guess now I'm back to debating between this one and Teraflex option given the prices are now similar.
Sponsored

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
@limeade I spoke to the Sales Rep who was pretty knowledgeable about the tire carries as he has the prior version of this on his JL. He noted the cost increase was two-fold: (1) Increase cost in steel and (2) "A complete redesign" but when I asked what that meant, he wasn't exactly sure.

I guess now I'm back to debating between this one and Teraflex option given the prices are now similar.
This is the statement I received via email:

“It was done more as a cosmetic to fit the tail gate tighter without gaps. The standoffs line up the same as the original version because they need to be offset to fit the tailgate correctly because of how the hinges and tailgate are shaped.“

In my opinion that is an admission of a design flaw that I brought to their attention the week I received my kit which was less than 30 days ago, which falls within their return policy.

OP
OP
Coolbaldguy

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I guess I have the " classic" version.... except I ordered it only a couple of months ago.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is the statement I received via email:

“It was done more as a cosmetic to fit the tail gate tighter without gaps. The standoffs line up the same as the original version because they need to be offset to fit the tailgate correctly because of how the hinges and tailgate are shaped.“

In my opinion that is an admission of a design flaw that I brought to their attention the week I received my kit which was less than 30 days ago, which falls within their return policy.
Do you plan to return yours and ask for the new one?

I ended up ordering this “new and improved” version when offered a 5% discount (shrugs). I’ll report back once I receive and how it fits the tailgate.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

I have no fitment issues with the original design, although I do like the looks of the new version better. Metalcloak now specs the new version as capable of supporting a 38" tire. Both versions are still rated at 150 lbs. I never saw the tire size rating listed on the original version description.

I'm not a fan of the Teraflex carrier as you have to remove stuff to get the spare off. With the MC, if you don't have to mount your license plate on the spare and use an LED ring brake light, there is nothing to disconnect when you need to get to your spare tire. I wasn't interested in replacing hinges either, which ruled out other designs. The MC Sportgate is nicely designed, strong, and easy to install and use. Plus, Metalcloak's reputation for quality and customer service is superb.

Sponsored

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I have no fitment issues with the original design, although I do like the looks of the new version better. Metalcloak now specs the new version as capable of supporting a 38" tire. Both versions are still rated at 150 lbs. I never saw the tire size rating listed on the original version description.
The last legacy version said 37” tire max

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The last legacy version said 37” tire max
Possibly did, I don't remember as it's been a year since I looked at the product description. When I bought mine, it didn't even say you couldn't use stock wheels with it.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@mvng4wd @limeade @Coolbaldguy How long did your order take to receive once purchased? 9 days later and it’s notes processing still and when I called they just noted, “They’re working to fulfill the order.” When buying, the guy on the phone told me I would have it in 10-14 days....was hoping to install this weekend when the wife and kids were out of town.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@mvng4wd @limeade @Coolbaldguy How long did your order take to receive once purchased? 9 days later and it’s notes processing still and when I called they just noted, “They’re working to fulfill the order.” When buying, the guy on the phone told me I would have it in 10-14 days....was hoping to install this weekend when the wife and kids were out of town.
I ordered mine 27 Jan 2020 and received it within two weeks (not sure how long it took, it's been awhile). This was before all of the COVID related delays.

More recently, I ordered a skid system from them on 23 Nov 2020 and received it 3 Dec 2020.

OP
OP
Coolbaldguy

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I don’t remember exactly how long it took. Seems like it was a couple of weeks

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Was looking around the Metalcloak site earlier and saw they released a new third brake light mount for their Sportgate carrier. It uses the light from the stock tire carrier and looks pretty good. It's $100, wish they would include it with the carrier, especially since they've already raised the price.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please 6962-new-with-lo1go
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please 6962-no-tire-with-logo

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@mvng4wd @Coolbaldguy @limeade Do you by chance know if the OEM brake light will work with this product? I only have 35s so don’t think it will be an issue as it currently reaches over the tire.
Are you meaning the 3rd brake light housing (the plastic piece which is recessed for the tire and extends above the tire mount)? If you are, there might be a way to rig it up, but I doubt it.

The Sportgate doesn’t have a provision to accept the stock 3rd brake light. Prior to them releasing the light mount which I showed above, you had to use an aftermarket light.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are you meaning the 3rd brake light housing (the plastic piece which is recessed for the tire and extends above the tire mount)? If you are, there might be a way to rig it up, but I doubt it.

The Sportgate doesn’t have a provision to accept the stock 3rd brake light. Prior to them releasing the light mount which I showed above, you had to use an aftermarket light.
Edit / Confirmed it will not fit.
Ordered the Body Armor ring light.

Last edited: