Sponsored

Metalcloak SportGate Tire carrier Opinions please

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I don't think that's true. My Vision Nemesis wheel hubs are the same as stock wheels and they fit just fine on the Sportgate TC. It's been awhile since I spoke with MC about it, but I believe the issue is due to the backspacing of the stock wheel.

Here's a closeup of it:

IMG_5246.jpg

In fact when I ordered my Sportgate, there was no such warning on their website. They reached out to me to verify which wheel I was going to use and I was planning on keeping the stock wheels with 1.5" spacers. Upon learning the stock wheels wouldn't work, again due to the backspacing, I decided to get aftermarket wheels. That's how much I liked and wanted the Sportgate.
Just saying. A hub centric wheel for JL will have a center bore of 62.77mm. Anything larger would be Lug centric. Thinking the Vision wheels have a center bore of 71.5mm.

There is a thread that has a list of Hub Centric wheels for the JL.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just saying. A hub centric wheel for JL will have a center bore of 62.77mm. Anything larger would be Lug centric. Thinking the Vision wheels have a center bore of 71.5mm.

There is a thread that has a list of Hub Centric wheels for the JL.
Not being argumentative, but everything I've seen on this forum and other mediums states the stock hub bore is 71.5mm. I believe I've read where someone actually measured the hub bore at 71.5mm. Other than your statement, I've never read the JL hub center bore as 62.77mm.

I looked at the AEV website and two of their wheels (Salta and Borah) list hub bore size at 71.5mm and the other two (Pintler and Saverge) list it as 62.77mm. So their own info is confusing.

Heck, even the Mopar aftermarket wheels for the JL/JT platforms list hub bore diameters of 71.54mm. I would be surprised that Mopar, which touts their wheels as "Hub Centric", would have a larger diameter bore than stock....which would then not make them hub centric.

When I get home in July, I'll take a wheel off of my 2019 and put it on my 2018 with the Sportgate and will know for sure. :like:

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Not being argumentative, but everything I've seen on this forum and other mediums states the stock hub bore is 71.5mm. I believe I've read where someone actually measured the hub bore at 71.5mm. Other than your statement, I've never read the JL hub center bore as 62.77mm.

I looked at the AEV website and two of their wheels (Salta and Borah) list hub bore size at 71.5mm and the other two (Pintler and Saverge) list it as 62.77mm. So their own info is confusing.

Heck, even the Mopar aftermarket wheels for the JL/JT platforms list hub bore diameters of 71.54mm. I would be surprised that Mopar, which touts their wheels as "Hub Centric", would have a larger diameter bore than stock....which would then not make them hub centric.

When I get home in July, I'll take a wheel off of my 2019 and put it on my 2018 with the Sportgate and will know for sure. :like:
Maybe it’s just because of the outer center cap.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon

So I did some measurements yesterday with the AEV wheels that I have. The inner side of the wheel center bore is 71.43mm with the mic. I have. The outer side is the 62.77mm we’re the center cap snaps in. Do not have factory wheels anymore. Will check the Teraflex Nomads this weekend. The Nomads will probably work due to the different center cap attachment style.

I was wrong to say Hub Centric. It appears that a wheel needs to have the minimum 71.50 Center Bore diameter from inside too outside with no reduction in diameter to work with the MC tire carrier.

Good conversation!

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Forgot to add the pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please C63DBDF7-6E22-4EA1-95DB-F6FDDA1A005C
Thanks for showing the measurement from the backside. I didn't know certain AEV wheels had a smaller diameter outer ring for the center cap. Makes sense now why you thought that about the Sportgate tire carrier and why I was confused as to how you were using a wheel with a 62.77mm bore hole!

Yep, good conversation! This is how we all learn.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Any discounts or coupon codes for MetalCloak for members here? Looking to pull the trigger on this.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Any discounts or coupon codes for MetalCloak for members here? Looking to pull the trigger on this.
Go to their website and enter your email for their newsletter. @Metalcloak is really good about offering 10% off their products during major holiday weekends. They send these notifications out via email with a code. If you're a veteran, they will also include a code for an additional 5% off. The also post the sales on their website during the holiday weekend.

My guess is the next sale will be Memorial Day weekend. That is when I'm pulling the trigger for a set of the rear fenders.

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my sport gate last week and I've been emailing with Chris at Metalcloak. I noticed that the right side of the plate doesn't sit flush. Basically they do different offsets on the hinge bolt sleeves and the sleeves on the right side are more recessed than the sleeves on the left side bolts.

This is my first MC purchase and I have to. say the built quality is awesome! The 7 gauge material is super nice and so is all of the hardware.

Chris checked with his engineering team and they said that this is how they designed it. This is the explanations I received from two of their engineers.

“the JL tailgate is curved side to side as well as up/down. The standoffs are all different heights to account for that when bolting on a flat plate.”

“I believe this is the natural result of making a flat plate fit onto a curved surface. The SportGate is designed to bolt to the main tire mounting surface, which is not parallel to the hinge bolts. So, the outside hinge bolt sleeves are buried deeper than the inners.”

Hopefully the pics I've included will help this make more sense. It would be my opinion that the right side hinge bolt. sleeves should be recessed the same as the left side hinge sleeves, and that would allow it to sit more flush.

21FD6890-42B2-4520-8735-1BCD2FC2633D_1_201_a.jpeg

31DD1B0A-24C9-4F8A-B8BF-24D57A8ADDA1_1_201_a.jpeg

48F0137D-9F28-4CE6-BA7F-FA12663298F1.jpeg

28F935B3-ABE2-460B-B165-EA04CC924D37.jpeg

OP
OP
Coolbaldguy

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Mine looks the same. The pic I attached kind of shows how the tailgate has a radius and the MC Sportgate is straight. I dont see any need for change, unless I am missing something:movember:

20210309_211219.jpg

Sponsored

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@mvng4wd @Coolbaldguy @limeade Am I crazy or did the price just jump up today from $419 to $549? I went to pull the trigger this evening and was shocked to see such a big price jump. @Metalcloak Is this the same version that was previously priced at $419 or is it somehow improved?

https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-sportgate-tire-carrier.html
They’ve changed the design up a bit. That definitely doesn’t look like the one I have. Kind of looks more “refined”.
Original:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please BE75F992-7945-440F-BDBF-D91C62EBAECC

New:
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please DF07814C-FB33-4DEA-83FC-DE84C092340E
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please F0299BDA-A015-40A3-A9BB-C8185984537B

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Awe

I only got version one. :crying:

:LOL:

Still loving it. Hope the accessories they come with are backwards compatible.:fingerscrossed:

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Very very interesting! I’m contacting them now.
Let me know what they say, I’ll be calling them later today as well. It seems like the new version seems to address the “issue” you refer to above of putting a flat metal piece on a curved tailgate.
Sponsored