Metalcloak SportGate Tire carrier Opinions please

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I read through the entire tire carrier thread and searched the forum. The only real mentions of Metalcloaks tire carrier are in one of the forum members build threads. I am in a search for a tire carrier that will give me some adjustability for the camera, hold a 37" Ridge Grappler on a Machete beadlock wheel (3.5" backspace), and not break the bank (bonus points for being made in the USA):flag:. I plan to put a LED disk light behind the wheel for a 3rd brake light. I still have my oem plastic bumpers and would like to continue to use the rear one. I really like the LOD front Signature series bumper AND their rear with tire carrier....I just cant seem to justify the cost to myself for holding a spare tire. I like the EVO setup but it is on backorder everywhere. The Teraflex is nice too, but it doesn't reinforce the tailgate. So, back to the MC SportGate Tire Carrier. Anyone have feedback on form, fit, function?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have one installed on my 18 JLUR with a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler mounted to 17x9 Vision Nemesis wheel with -12 offset. With my tire/wheel combo, I don't get any abnormal sensor alert and the FOV of camera is almost the same as stock. Here's why I decided on the Metalcloak Sportgate and why I will continue to use it:

It's a Metalcloak product, so right away I know it's strong, engineered correctly, and will do what they say it will, plus it's made in the USA.

My opinion is the JL tailgate hinges are strong enough for my spare and additional items (MC states the Sportgate can support up to 150lbs.). The only time the hinges are supporting the full weight of the tailgate and attached items are when the tailgate is open. The Sportgate (as like other hinge reinforcement devices) tie both hinge brackets together to spread the load and provide strength over a larger surface area. My guess is MC designed the Sportgate out of one large piece of metal (unlike the Mopar and others) for this exact reason.

The Sportgate tire carrier is adjustable in/out and up/down, providing for exact fitment and allowing the user to set the spare tire firmly against the stock spare tire bumpers. The ability for the backside of the tire to not only make contact with, but to deform the bumpers due to pressure, is very important. I have had NO abnormal shaking, sounds, or movement out of the spare tire due it being completely against the bumpers. Other brands either don't relocate (the Sportgate leaves the bumpers in the stock holes) or provide for their extension and therefore the spare is allowed to move, rattle, bounce, etc.

Installation is easy, including mounting the back-up camera in their new housing. The only negative (as compared to other solutions) is the lack of an included third brake light. MC offers their solution for an additional cost, but I (like you) went with a third brake light ring which resides inside the spare tire. I kept my stock steel bumper and didn't need a license plate relocation solution either.

The Sportgate has four attachment points (on the passenger side third part) where MC is supposed to offer options for attaching Rotors-Pax, Hi-Lift jack, etc. at some time in the future. You can see the four welded nuts in the first picture.

For the price, I don't think there is a comparable product out there. Here are a few pics of mine:

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please IMG_5240
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please IMG_5243
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please IMG_5247
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please IMG_5248

OP
OP
Coolbaldguy

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Thanks Limade! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The MC website doesn't mention adjustment limits. Do you think there is enough adjustment to the carrier to allow a wheel with only 3.5" of backspace to still hit the factory rubber bumps on the tailgate. I don't have parking sensors, so I want to keep the tire as low and close to the tailgate as possible. Again thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Limade! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The MC website doesn't mention adjustment limits. Do you think there is enough adjustment to the carrier to allow a wheel with only 3.5" of backspace to still hit the factory rubber bumps on the tailgate. I don't have parking sensors, so I want to keep the tire as low and close to the tailgate as possible. Again thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply.
Yes I do. The only limitation is you can't use a stock wheel. My wheel/tire is as low as it could go without hitting the bumper.

Let me know if you need anything else.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I wanted this one but my main issue was I need to move my tire out slightly to clear the bumper I have.

Sponsored

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Interesting. I was considering the teraflex alpha paired with the red rock reinforcement panel but wasn’t super excited about the red rock piece. This looks good. I agree, I would go the brake light ring as well here. Which one did you buy? Was it difficult to install ?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I was considering the teraflex alpha paired with the red rock reinforcement panel but wasn’t super excited about the red rock piece. This looks good. I agree, I would go the brake light ring as well here. Which one did you buy? Was it difficult to install ?
I use the Oracle LED 3rd brake light ring. It was the best option at the time. I'm not a big fan of how it goes on (3 thin strips of metal), but it is doable. At some point in the near future, I'll be switching it out for the Body Armor light:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/...solutions/5165-body-armor-led-3rd-brake-light

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak SportGate Tire  carrier Opinions please z9oadpig73ua4yy3d5sn

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I like the MC carrier and the price point makes it a slam dunk. When we install them, we add in the mopar brake light relocation. All in all I like the look and function

Brett

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
I like the MC carrier and the price point makes it a slam dunk. When we install them, we add in the mopar brake light relocation. All in all I like the look and function

Brett
Thanks! I’ll have to look into the Mopar brake light relocation.

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coolbaldguy

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Thanks for all of the feedback. I ordered the metal cloak sportgate tire carrier last night. Now if I could get Northridge4x4 to deliver the 37” Ridge Grapplers I ordered on December 11th....

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
I’m about to pull the trigger on it as well. Still figuring out what I want to do with the brake light. I think I will probably go with an led ring behind the tire. The Mopar CHMSL relocation looks like a PIA each time you rotate a tire. And I got spline style lugs (I think) so comparability issues I believe.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m about to pull the trigger on it as well. Still figuring out what I want to do with the brake light. I think I will probably go with an led ring behind the tire. The Mopar CHMSL relocation looks like a PIA each time you rotate a tire. And I got spline style lugs (I think) so comparability issues I believe.
The requirement to remove the light every time I rotated tires is the exact reason I went with the ring light.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Metalcloaks license plate relocation is nice option if you plan a nee bumper at some point. Just bear in mind the wiring it comes with is crap and for about $40 with of crimping, splicing, and connector supplies you can make it much better.

now I have one screw off wire and the assembly pops off to remove the tire.

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Good to know, I think even if I go LED ring behind the wheel I'd like to install some type of connector for the wiring for if and when the LEDs on the ring go bad and make it an easy swap out. I'll have to start looking into some good wiring connectors for sure.
Sponsored