Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
Recently purchased and installed the Metalcloak Sportgate on my 19 Rubocon 2dr to try and reduce some of the wobble the larger tire and wheel caused.
I have purchased Metalcloak products in the past for my JK and this JL and have been very happy with their products.
The Sportgate I received was nice and stout, well made, and nice finish. Easy install until I got to the camera mount. The instructions called for you to remove the old camera and install in new mount. I received no mount. I called and spoke to Eric and initially found him to be a bit rude he indicated that he believed they had sent the part for a TJ and if I were to send him a picture they would take care of it. I waited for any response for about 4 to 5 days and emailed him to check status. He said that he had been busy and that all was good, I had the right parts. I still had no mount for the camera. After a number of emails it was determined I had to reuse the plastic holder that was part of the stock mount.
This is a joke, not at all what was shown in the product page picture, not what was shown in the insructions, and not what I paid for. After asking him how I was supposed to lift a 100 lb spare over that cheap piece of plastic without breaking it or the camera he had no good explanation. Be careful if you are interested in this it is certainly a poor design and truly false advertising if they haven't changed their product page. He finally offered me a discount if i were to order anything else which won't be happening

IMG_0046.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
Exactly what I feared would happen, happened. When installing spare over camera holder and the lack of any kind of protection for the camera, Broken camera.
Would not recommend this product in any way. I will not be purchasing anything from Metalcloak.
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Sportgate Fail IMG_0048

JlChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
I think you got the wrong part or installed it incorrectly. I have the same carrier and my camera is fully protected. This is a great carrier.

JlChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
As you can see, the camera sits safely behind the steel guard

PicsArt_07-16-11.19.57.jpg

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
As you can see, the camera sits safely behind the steel guard

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Sportgate Fail PicsArt_07-16-11.19.57
This is the old style. I asked metalcloak if I was missing something and they sent me information that what I have is the new style. I asked them if I could get what you have and they said no. What you have is the reason I ordered this . That mount would have made all the difference in the world. I mounted mine according to the new style instructions that they sent me.

Sponsored

JlChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
I just ordered mine and installed it about a month ago. It is the new style.

Screenshot_20210716-112755_Gallery.jpg

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
You might be able to adapt this to work: https://lodoffroad.com/products/2018-jl-rearview-camera-relocation-kit
If you look at the instructions (pg 11) you can see its just the tube that bolts on to a flat surface at the rear of the tube, your carrier looks like it has a flat surface with hole in the middle of the spare lugs, not sure how the spacing would work out though.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
I just ordered mine and installed it about a month ago. It is the new style.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Sportgate Fail Screenshot_20210716-112755_Gallery
Not any more. Just got mine a couuple of weeks ago.

Eric Ennis
Jul 14, 2021, 9:58 AM (2 days ago)
to me
My engineering department forwarded this to me. Maybe this will show what is needed better than me?
Reference picture below:
  1. Install studs in plate as shown in picture
  2. Slide supplied aluminum plate over studs as shown
  3. Remove camera and wiring from camera mount
  4. Sand down the bosses protruding from the front of the factory camera mount (circled in red, there are more out of frame of the picture that needs to be sanded down as well)
  5. Route camera wiring through middle of wheel mount plate and supplied aluminum plate
  6. Slide camera mount over studs
  7. Plug camera wiring in to camera and reinstall camera
  8. Install spare tire
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Sportgate Fail 1626460794090

JlChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
So they don't provide a metal cover for the camera anymore?? I'm glad I ordered when I did then.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
You might be able to adapt this to work: https://lodoffroad.com/products/2018-jl-rearview-camera-relocation-kit
If you look at the instructions (pg 11) you can see its just the tube that bolts on to a flat surface at the rear of the tube, your carrier looks like it has a flat surface with hole in the middle of the spare lugs, not sure how the spacing would work out though.
Thanks, that does look like it may work. Too bad I didn't wait to install, not sure I want to buy a new camera.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
So they don't provide a metal cover for the camera anymore?? I'm glad I ordered when I did then.
Yep. You lucked out, I think I would have been a happy customer if I had gotten what you got. I will say I was not impressed with Metalcloaks customer service on this particular occasion. I am guessing they will have to go back to something similar. This set up really does not work.

JlChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
I agree. That setup offers no protection from damage or theft.

Frank013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for posting this, will be calling tomorrow and if they confirm this change I will be canceling my order.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Please let me know what they say. I would really like to get the camera holder if I could. Maybe talk to someone other than Eric. This is the last email he sent me.

"Ok, I just spoke to the warehouse. Unfortunately, we do not have any of the older style mounts leftover.

I am extremely sorry for the difference in the parts. Is there anything we can do for you? Discount on other parts maybe? "

Eric

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting this, will be calling tomorrow and if they confirm this change I will be canceling my order.
Did you get a follow up on this? I have this tire carrier on order right now and now I'm worried.
Sponsored