MetalCloak GC 3.5 Shocks??

RubiDude19

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So I'm sure I'm going to get someone's panties in wad since there is a fair amount of discussion on this but most is contradictory. Can I hear from some technical experts with experience on suspension lifts and actual wheeling on the best shock to pair with the MC GC 3.5 lift?

I've heard I should stick with MC offerings since they're "tuned" to the dual rate springs. I've heard this is BS and that Fox is a better option...no Falcon 3.3 is a better option...no that's too stiff even on the lowest setting...etc, etc.

I'm admittedly a weekend warrior lifting my DD but I'm not building a mall crawler. I plan to keep this one and don't want to cheap out...nor do I need a $20K build either (adding fenders and side rails from MC as well as 17" Fuel Anza Rims with 37 x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers)

Fire away folks, I can take it...
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
So I'm sure I'm going to get someone's panties in wad since there is a fair amount of discussion on this but most is contradictory. Can I hear from some technical experts with experience on suspension lifts and actual wheeling on the best shock to pair with the MC GC 3.5 lift?

I've heard I should stick with MC offerings since they're "tuned" to the dual rate springs. I've heard this is BS and that Fox is a better option...no Falcon 3.3 is a better option...no that's too stiff even on the lowest setting...etc, etc.

I'm admittedly a weekend warrior lifting my DD but I'm not building a mall crawler. I plan to keep this one and don't want to cheap out...nor do I need a $20K build either (adding fenders and side rails from MC as well as 17" Fuel Anza Rims with 37 x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers)

Fire away folks, I can take it...
I don’t wear panties so no worry about them getting wadded up. It’s no joke that shocks designed for a coil will perform/ride the best. Look at it like suits, my build doesn’t allow me to wear off the shelf suits, I mean I can find one to fit my shoulders and arms but it would be huge in the belly area. So off the shelf can work, custom fits perfect and that’s what I have to do for the best fitting suit.

That is a very loose analogy for shocks. Off the shelf work, custom are much better. MC runs a little stiffer spring rate and softer shock so something like the 3.3s really don’t pair well, they are harsh. I don’t want to speak for the owners that have them but sometimes it’s hard to admit after spending 1700 on shocks that they might not be the best choice. In my shop I won’t install them unless the customer supplies them and 100% understands I’m not standing anywhere near them or bare any responsiblity to the ride or performance of them.

The absolute best solution in my opinion if they budget can support it is going with a custom valved and tuned shock for your particular Jeep. Accutune does a great job dialing them in for us. You don’t have to have a 2.5” or bypass shock, the fox 2.0 with resi can be a budget conscious option that performs great too.

Brett

I’ve installed literal tons of game changers (in lbs) and it’s hands down my favorite lift. We’ve messed around with them and like to think we have a pretty good grasp on what they are and how they perform. Ride is however, one of the most subjective subjects and everyone is different.

OP
OP
RubiDude19

RubiDude19

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I don’t wear panties so no worry about them getting wadded up. It’s no joke that shocks designed for a coil will perform/ride the best. Look at it like suits, my build doesn’t allow me to wear off the shelf suits, I mean I can find one to fit my shoulders and arms but it would be huge in the belly area. So off the shelf can work, custom fits perfect and that’s what I have to do for the best fitting suit.

That is a very loose analogy for shocks. Off the shelf work, custom are much better. MC runs a little stiffer spring rate and softer shock so something like the 3.3s really don’t pair well, they are harsh. I don’t want to speak for the owners that have them but sometimes it’s hard to admit after spending 1700 on shocks that they might not be the best choice. In my shop I won’t install them unless the customer supplies them and 100% understands I’m not standing anywhere near them or bare any responsiblity to the ride or performance of them.
The absolute best solution in my opinion if they budget can support it is going with a custom valved and tuned shock for your particular Jeep. Accutune does a great job dialing them in for us. You don’t have to have a 2.5” or bypass shock, the fox 2.0 with resi can be a budget conscious option that performs great too.

Brett

I’ve installed literal tons of game changers (in lbs) and it’s hands down my favorite lift. We’ve messed around with them and like to think we have a pretty good grasp on what they are and how they perform. Ride is however, one of the most subjective subjects and everyone is different.
Thank you so much for the informed response. If I understand correctly, you're saying MC shocks would be better than off the shelf because they're tuned for the MC suspension but the absolute best scenario would be to have the shocks tuned to my specific vehicle. You have a great reputation on the forums so if I could pick your brain just a bit more...would you go with the Rocksports from MC and tune them or would you go with a standard Fox shock and tune it? Also, any experience with the six pack shocks? I really appreciate the advice.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thank you so much for the informed response. If I understand correctly, you're saying MC shocks would be better than off the shelf because they're tuned for the MC suspension but the absolute best scenario would be to have the shocks tuned to my specific vehicle. You have a great reputation on the forums so if I could pick your brain just a bit more...would you go with the Rocksports from MC and tune them or would you go with a standard Fox shock and tune it? Also, any experience with the six pack shocks? I really appreciate the advice.
The rocksports aren’t able to be tuned and for a sub $300 set of shocks work great. The absolute best riding combination that isn’t budget conscious would for sure be a set of custom tuned and valved shocks. Will at MC could probably recommend some companies too, we love accutune but there is great companies all over. For accutune for example, they want to know all the details about your Jeep from single or dual batteries, which bumper your running, winches etc to dial it in as best as possible.

I have a set of 6 paks sitting on the shelf in the shop. I like the idea and they perform great. However, as a high performance shock like the others King/fox/radflo they will require more maintenance and service. With the 6 paks, they have twice the fail points. That said, they have come a long since they first release them and their reliability has been great. MC has them dialed in.

Brett
Sponsored