Sponsored

MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
When working on the rear and installing the coils, the instructions say to disconnect the control arms to get enough droop and the brake. Im not replacing the rear control arms yet. Do I still need to do that?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
When working on the rear and installing the coils, the instructions say to disconnect the control arms to get enough droop and the brake. Im not replacing the rear control arms yet. Do I still need to do that?
Yes, any change in ride height requires loosening of all 4 control arms on that axle. It allows the inner sleeve of the bushing to rotate to a neutral position at its new ride height.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Seeing how this thread is still alive... I have had a question lingering in my mind.

...started on the rear and it’s fairly straightforward so far. Except that you have to flip the sway bar end for end when you reinstall it after putting in the drop brackets...
I have been trying to figure out why the sway bar left-right orientation is flipped. I have read the (3.5") instructions, and they just instruct you to do it with out explanation. This suggestion seems specific to the use of the 4" drop brackets which are seemingly supplied to be used in conjunction with the 6-pak shocks and a stock OEM muffler.

I am guessing it would seem obvious with parts in hand, but my GameChanger 3.5" Rocksport shock lift kit didn't not use the drop brackets so the reason is not as apparent.

The instructions seem a little "relaxed" on this detail and the manual's illustration uses a copied and flipped photograph rather than an explicit example, so I have made a quick sketch, with a modified version of Metalcloak's photograph, to work through the thought process.

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions Metalcloak Sway Bar orientation

Is the reasoning behind this instruction to flip the curve in the sway bar arm?

Thank you!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seeing how this thread is still alive... I have had a question lingering in my mind.

I have been trying to figure out why the sway bar left-right orientation is flipped. I have read the (3.5") instructions, and they just instruct you to do it with out explanation. This suggestion seems specific to the use of the 4" drop brackets which are seemingly supplied to be used in conjunction with the 6-pak shocks and a stock OEM muffler.

I am guessing it would seem obvious with parts in hand, but my GameChanger 3.5" Rocksport shock lift kit didn't not use the drop brackets so the reason is not as apparent.

The instructions seem a little "relaxed" on this detail and the manual's illustration uses a copied and flipped photograph rather than an explicit example, so I have made a quick sketch, with a modified version of Metalcloak's photograph, to work through the thought process.

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions Metalcloak Sway Bar orientation

Thank you!
If using the factory rear sway links, you need to flip the sway bar and remount it with the 4" drop brackets.

If using the longer Metalcloak rear links, the sway bar stays as is, but gets mounted with the black plastic spacers and new longer hardware.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I got hung up on the word "flip". The photo in the manual shows it flipped both side to side and fore aft.
The fore aft posture in the instruction manual photo gave me the willys.

I had to crawl under the Jeep to take a look and deduce that the orientation of the curve shown as Section A-A and Section B-B in the quick sketch was probably what was intended, but I am just guessing.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If using the factory rear sway links, you need to flip the sway bar and remount it with the 4" drop brackets.
Aha, I only read the Metalcloak description that explains the drop brackets are for muffler clearance with the 6-pak shocks. I did not understand that they could make the use of the Jeep OEM sway bar links possible. It did not occur to me that users would opt for a $79 drop bracket to use stock length links when the links sized for the lift only cost $89.

Thank you for explaining.

Last edited:

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Thank you!
My understanding is that the two sway bar mounting options relate to wheel backspacing. When you order a kit on the MC site, there is a drop down question about wheel backspacing. If you select the option with the higher backspacing, you get the longer drop brackets and need to flip the bar. If you select the lower backspacing, you get the spacers, longer links and no need to flip.

Based on this, I assume the flipped version with the drop brackets allows more clearance between the sway bar and the back of the wheel.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Aha, I only read the Metalcloak description that explains the drop brackets are for muffler clearance with the 6-pak shocks. I did not understand that they could make the use of the Jeep OEM sway bar links possible. It did not occur to that users would opt for a $79 drop bracket to use stock length links when the links sized for the lift only cost $89.

Thank you for explaining.
At the time I did mine, I had the factory muffler, so I bought the rear links with black spacers package. The plastic spacers help the bar to clear the entrance pipe of the muffler. I now have the Borla Touring climber cat back, so technically I could remove the sway bar mounting spacers. But its hurting nothing to leave them be.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...The plastic spacers help the bar to clear the entrance pipe of the muffler...
I have been wondering if something changed on the Jeeps. I have a 2020 Rubicon with factory exhaust. The Metalcloak GC 3.5" kit installed on my rig does not have the black spacer blocks but there does not seem to be any chance of a clearance conflict. I had read about the spacers and been left thinking there may have been a running change to the exhaust piping that made the spacers unnecessary. Asking Metalcloak if they had any insights about this was on my "to do" list. :)

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Anyone have the electronic stability control light go on after install? Im hoping it's just because my steering wheel is pretty far centered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Anyone have the electronic stability control light go on after install? Im hoping it's just because my steering wheel is pretty far centered.
That’s what it is. I didn’t have the issue with my MC lift, but I did when I first installed the Dynatrac lift I originally had installed. When you recenter the steering wheel it should go away.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
That’s what it is. I didn’t have the issue with my MC lift, but I did when I first installed the Dynatrac lift I originally had installed. When you recenter the steering wheel it should go away.
Nice I'm going to take it in for an alignment soon anyways so I'll let them fix it. Thanks for the info!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been wondering if something changed on the Jeeps. I have a 2020 Rubicon with factory exhaust. The Metalcloak GC 3.5" kit installed on my rig does not have the black spacer blocks but there does not seem to be any chance of a clearance conflict. I had read about the spacers and been left thinking there may have been a running change to the exhaust piping that made the spacers unnecessary. Asking Metalcloak if they had any insights about this was on my "to do" list. :)
It's certainly possible for Jeep to make changes that go unmentioned. Like the rear camera change that doesn't work with aftermarket carriers.

For reference, I've got the 2.0 turbo motor and it didn't look like it would hit without the spacers.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
10 min easy fix in driveway. :like:
Thanks, yea I knew to do this but didn't have time today. Now I'm all sore from the last two days of trying to get this lift installed. We'll see when I can get it in for an alignment. If that's too far out I'll probably just go out and straighten the steering wheel myself.
Sponsored