Sponsored

MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just a guess; I see drivers bashing rocks, bottoming out, bending metal and laughing about it several times each week.

I would attribute this to over bashing, while I imagine how hard it would be to bend one of these bars with a lever bar and a bench vise if you wanted to try it.

I use my sway bar disconnect whenever I am off road and driving below the re-connect speed. Slamming side to side is not my idea of fun but it seems like a lot of drivers really enjoy it.

I think your question regarding the installation position is a good one, and I am interested in reading other responses.
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The photo seems to show the circumstance after the sway bar has flopped back into its normal orientation, but the sway bar link was most likely bent when the suspension dropped to full extension, and it was able it to pivot across the axis of the sway bar arm, which suggests the sway bar link was too short for the set up.

When the axle returned upwards and the suspension compressed the force bent the bar. Later a subsequent downward movement, executed with or without the intention of restoring the sway bar link (which is now even "shorter") to the normal orientation, flopped the link back into the position pictured.

Last edited:

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Crazy looking. I think he has a rubi, so he doesnt have to disconnect (he says he disconnected from the switch inside). I guess for a sport, having to manually disconnect would make sure that something like that couldnt happen. Crazy to see that bar bent like that though.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The Rubicon electronic disconnect could possibly allow for the flop, where as a solid bar might prevent the sway bar from rotating into a full extension position.

I made a quick drawing showing the possible implication of a too short link, but increased sway bar arm rotation made possible by the electronic disconnection could allow a similar event to occur.

The link may not seem too short while the electronic disconnect sway bar is connected as a solid torsion tension spring assembly, but the link may seem too short when each of the sway bar arms can rotate more freely.

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions Sway-Bar

Last edited:

Sponsored

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Caster looks good. Are you running toed out or is that toe in?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you still have a slight bow on the passenger side with the rk perches, its because the rk isolators are identical, the Mopar’s are side specific. The springs sit opposite each other with the Mopar’s and the springs sit facing the same direction with the RKs. The drivers side RK pad indexes the spring the same as Mopar, that’s why it’s always the passenger side that has the issue.

The top isolators are tapered and sit opposite each other. So what I do is cut the nubs off the upper isolator so I can spin it around so the top of the spring sits where it’s supposed to. I put some silicone on upper isolator just for precaution, it’s not likely to spin unless you’re getting a little to crazy.
Soooo....I'm still unclear. I've got the same issue as JJSix with my MC lift: driver's coil looks great, passenger coil looks exactly like his.

Did JJSix say he was running the RK perches and I missed it?

I guess the real question is: will the RK correction perches correct the right side with the MC lift? And can you simply leave the left as-is if it looks good, or must BOTH RK perches be installed?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Soooo....I'm still unclear. I've got the same issue as JJSix with my MC lift: driver's coil looks great, passenger coil looks exactly like his.

Did JJSix say he was running the RK perches and I missed it?

I guess the real question is: will the RK correction perches correct the right side with the MC lift? And can you simply leave the left as-is if it looks good, or must BOTH RK perches be installed?
What spring isolators are you using ?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
What spring isolators are you using ?
OEM IIRC. Did MC furnish their own replacements with my MC kit and I just don't remember installing them (I'm asking - it's possible!)?

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I would be curious to know what the back spacing is on the wheels. For the tire to hit the sway bar I would guess a wheel with greater than 4.5 inches would probably hit.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OEM IIRC. Did MC furnish their own replacements with my MC kit and I just don't remember installing them (I'm asking - it's possible!)?
I’ve only installed 2 MC lifts and we used oem perches, didn’t get any with kits. Maybe different now, this was a while ago. My post you replied to I was replying to Mark who used the RK perches. On JJsix bowed spring we fixed it with his control arms, he had one side different measurement and rotated the axle to far causing it to bow.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
So for mine, the culprit was the caster and not the perches. My caster was at 9.5 (no idea how I got it that wrong) and that was causing one spring to just about vertical at ride height, with the other waaaaaay out of whack. Took it to a second alignment shop and they showed my caster at the way off number. I had them do the adjustments to make it 5.5 and that brought the spring bow back under control with both of them showing a little bit of bow that mirrored on either side.

Before I diagnosed the caster issue, I reached out to metal cloak and told me that numerous things can cause spring bow and that their correction pads could help, but with the pictures I sent them, they thought it was a different issue and they were correct.
Sponsored