Sponsored

MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
My install got pushed back. Went Friday morning to open all my boxes and get things sorted out for the Saturday install. No front coils! Trying to work with metalcloak to get the tracking number on the 5th box. I hope they just didn't ship it by mistake or something. I was taking the boxes in as the FedEx guy was leaving and even waved to him, so nobody stole the box. Only other option is the FedEx guy just forgot my last box. If that's what happened I wonder if I'll ever find it. Either way sadly I have no idea when I'll get to the install now.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
So what’s the purpose of the aluminum spacer that’s supposed to go in the front lower shock relocation bracket? It’s not nearly as wide as the space it goes into. It’ll just flop loose around and rattle on the bolt. I can’t see any purpose it serves. What am I missing?
when you tighten the bolt down, the ears will get pulled in tight against the spacer. if you were to ever remove it, it’ll open back up enough to accept the factory shocks.

brett

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
when you tighten the bolt down, the ears will get pulled in tight against the spacer. if you were to ever remove it, it’ll open back up enough to accept the factory shocks.

brett
Ok. If I place a washer in there it fits better. If not, it’ll have to bend in quite a bit. Just seems like it isn’t ideal. The photo in the instructions doesn’t show the washer, only the spacer in there with lots of room between spacer and bracket. Maybe there’s a reason I don’t understand why they didn’t use a spacer that fits space better.

I got about halfway through the front axle install and now it’s supposed to rain steadily all day.:(

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
Any chance you can estimate the ideal spacer size and or maybe post a photo?

Are you speaking of the spacer shown in this image of in the Outboard Shock Mount bracket?

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions 7624-Outboard-Shock-Mount

7624-outboard-shock-mounts-2.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hi,
Any chance you can estimate the ideal spacer size and or maybe post a photo?

Are you speaking of the spacer that fits in the Outboard Shock Mount bracket?

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions 7624-outboard-shock-mounts-2

I have a GC 3.5" kit on order, and am looking forward to the install. I was thinking that I would enjoy the opportunity to make a spacer if I can anticipate the dimension, and have it ready when the work commences, but I am also wondering if the sleeve on the shock's mount is wider than the spacer? Is the bracket meant to grasp the shock mount or let it pivot freely?

Thank you.
Yes, that’s the part in question. It’s a downpour outside right now, if it lets up I’ll go measure for you.

The way that part mounts is that it attaches over the outsides of the “ears” on the OEM lower shock mount. You could remove the bottom of your front shock and measure the width of the lower bushing or the distance between the inner surfaces of the ears where it mounts.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
Thanks for the quick answer. I am excited about getting my Jeep lifted and been sitting here over thinking stuff while the parts are getting sent out etc.

Now that I know what part you are speaking of I can measure the spacing on my particular jeep and consider making a spacer.

I have enjoyed following your progress with your Jeep.

Thanks very much.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I mentioned this somewhere (maybe on my thread, I dunno) where I said that I took it off because there was no way the ears were going to draw up tight enough to it and it was just going to rattle. I torqued to spec and no dice. The MC brackets are stout and I didn't see any sucking in of those ears, lol.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So here’s a few photos I got in a break from the rain. 41mm is the measurement of the space between the ears of the bracket (where the spacer is placed).

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions image

So with a 1/2” flat washer there is only about 1.4mm of play left. That’s a whole lot better than 3.6mm without it which is too much. A thicker washer may be even better.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So here’s a few photos I got in a break from the rain. 41mm is the measurement of the space between the ears of the bracket (where the spacer is placed).

So with a 1/2” flat washer there is only about 1.4mm of play left. That’s a whole lot better than 3.6mm without it which is too much. A thicker washer may be even better.
this is a great thread. I stumbled through installing my 2.5” MC lift a little over a year ago so the details are a little fuzzy. The length of the spacer on mine looks to be the same as yours (after conversion), but I have no gap.
Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions 2E93F947-60FB-4393-A5C5-F7C1ED028F02

Unfortunately I don’t recall if there was a gap beforehand. Ultimately, if the bracket doesn’t suck in when torquing the bolt then adding an additional washer shouldn’t hurt anything.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
Thanks very much for posting the info. 41mm is very close to 1-5/8". I just checked McMaster Carr and it seems like it is easy to source a 5/16" I.D. by 1-5/8" long aluminum spacer.

I am assuming the front lower shock mounts use 5/16" bolts or maybe M8?

I think I will check my brackets and see about getting something to prevent having to squeeze the ears.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
this is a great thread. I stumbled through installing my 2.5” MC lift a little over a year ago so the details are a little fuzzy. The length of the spacer on mine looks to be the same as yours (after conversion), but I have no gap.
Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions 2E93F947-60FB-4393-A5C5-F7C1ED028F02

Unfortunately I don’t recall if there was a gap beforehand. Ultimately, if the bracket doesn’t suck in when torquing the bolt then adding an additional washer shouldn’t hurt anything.
That coverts to about 38mm. So maybe it does torque down when tightened. I’m going to use the washer though. I’m sure there’s some degree of variance in the space depending on what shocks you might have had mounted previously.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hi,
Thanks very much for posting the info. 41mm is very close to 1-5/8". I just checked McMaster Carr and it seems like it is easy to source a 5/16" I.D. by 1-5/8" long aluminum spacer.

I am assuming the front lower shock mounts use 5/16" bolts or maybe M8?

I think I will check my brackets and see about getting something to prevent having to squeeze the ears.

Thank you.
The simple solution is a cheap washer or two available at any local hardware store. If you want to order a spacer the bolt is M12, which is .472”. Get a 1/2” ID spacer. 5/16” is way too small. 1 5/8” length will be a tight fit. It’s .275mm too long, should be easy to force it in there with a few hammer taps.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just checked mine and they are closer to 1.55" than 41mm or 1.6_+".

I guess there is some variance to the brackets. My axle is the M210 as per OEM Rubicon.

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions IMG_8426.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just checked mine and they are closer 1.55" than 41mm or 1.6_+".

I guess there is some variance to the brackets. My axle is the M210 as per OEM Rubicon.

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak GameChanger 2.5” lift installation questions IMG_8426.JPG
Could be that you have more accurate calipers and also my bracket could be flared out just a bit from the bushing on the Fox shocks I just removed. Either way, it’ll be close enough to make it work well.
Sponsored