Sponsored

Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5 or 3.5?

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Getting ready to pull the trigger but I keep second guessing myself. I have a 2020 JLUR that I wheel on a regular (weekly) basis. The long term plan is running 37's at some point. I know I can run 37's no problem with a 2.5" lift and proper wheels but something inside keeps telling me I need to consider the 3.5". They are identical in price. What says the collective?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Getting ready to pull the trigger but I keep second guessing myself. I have a 2020 JLUR that I wheel on a regular (weekly) basis. The long term plan is running 37's at some point. I know I can run 37's no problem with a 2.5" lift and proper wheels but something inside keeps telling me I need to consider the 3.5". They are identical in price. What says the collective?
I vote 3.5” but that’s one of the good features of MC, all you have to do is buy different springs, to change ride height, all other components work with both lifts....:)

OP
OP
Jeepsk8

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Some folks say MC's 2.5 doesn't require a replacement driveshaft(MC recommended) or brakeline, parking brake extensions and other things like a 3.5 lift seems to require. More flex has more costs and I believe you will find the true cost is not the same.
Either way, I'm springing for the front deiveshaft. Brake lines are a safe bet too. As far as parking brake lines, I think some people just move them to the front of the axle instead of coming over the top. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Ask yourself if the extra 1” of clearance is necessary/useful for the wheeling you do. Then consider if it might cause any complications in everyday life. Then ask which you prefer the look of. Weigh all of that to help you decide.

I’m in the same boat that you are, I have my new wheels and 37s to go on them to be ordered within a week or so. When MC announces their BF/Thanksgiving sale I’ll be pulling the trigger on the 2.5” lift. If I have regrets down the road, I’ll have to spend $400 more for 1” taller springs, so it won’t be the end of the world. There’s also the less expensive option of spring spacers.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Ask yourself if the extra 1” of clearance is necessary/useful for the wheeling you do. Then consider if it might cause any complications in everyday life. Then ask which you prefer the look of. Weigh all of that to help you decide.

I’m in the same boat that you are, I have my new wheels and 37s to go on them to be ordered within a week or so. When MC announces their BF/Thanksgiving sale I’ll be pulling the trigger on the 2.5” lift. If I have regrets down the road, I’ll have to spend $400 more for 1” taller springs, so it won’t be the end of the world. There’s also the less expensive option of spring spacers.
Not to get off topic but I'm probably going to buy at the same time. Do you know if their sway bar end links are quick disconnects? In the picture on the site looks like it has a pin in it.

Fyi just saw on ig that they are having their week long Thanksgiving sale. The usual 10% off and free shipping. Probably not going to get anymore savings than that I'm thinking.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepsk8

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not to get off topic but I'm probably going to buy at the same time. Do you know if their sway bar end links are quick disconnects? In the picture on the site looks like it has a pin in it.

Fyi just saw on ig that they are having their week long Thanksgiving sale. The usual 10% off and free shipping. Probably not going to get anymore savings than that I'm thinking.
Thanks for the sale heads up!

As for your question, if you have a Rubicon they send solid end links, non-Rubicons get the quick disconnects as part of the kit. They ask all those questions when you build the kit.

OP
OP
Jeepsk8

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Since they have a sale going on, I pulled the trigger and went with the 2.5" GC Rocksport edition. Like Roky and Chocolate Thunder said, I can always add the springs later. Now to find the best deal on 37's!

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Since they have a sale going on, I pulled the trigger and went with the 2.5" GC Rocksport edition. Like Roky and Chocolate Thunder said, I can always add the springs later. Now to find the best deal on 37's!
I'm doing the exact same thing. I wonder how long until you actually get your lift kit.

OP
OP
Jeepsk8

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm doing the exact same thing. I wonder how long until you actually get your lift kit.
I suspect it will be a few weeks before it ships. Last year they tried getting BF orders shipped before they took a break for Thanksgiving, but this year has been a shitshow so who knows, lol!

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the 3.5" Metalcloak with 6-packs, which actually gave 4.25" of added height over stock. I did the front driveshaft upgrade, but haven't had an issues with the juice brake lines. Just had to add extension brackets to the front chassis brackets. Also, I relocated the ebrake cables to the underside of the rear frame crossmember and secured them with the relocation bracket from Synergy.

I chopped all fenders and added the full AAL lights and liners kit, to clear the 38x13.5 pat's with 3" of bump stop spacing all around. I should easily get about four more inches of wheel lift after I trim the rear pinch seam, which is preventing full stuff of the rear tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5 or 3.5? 20200815_110338_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5 or 3.5? 20200813_083329
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5 or 3.5? 20200831_111107

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I've got the 3.5" Metalcloak with 6-packs, which actually gave 4.25" of added height over stock. I did the front driveshaft upgrade, but haven't had an issues with the juice brake lines. Just had to add extension brackets to the front chassis brackets. Also, I relocated the ebrake cables to the underside of the rear frame crossmember and secured them with the relocation bracket from Synergy.

I chopped all fenders and added the full AAL lights and liners kit, to clear the 38x13.5 pat's with 3" of bump stop spacing all around. I should easily get about four more inches of wheel lift after I trim the rear pinch seam, which is preventing full stuff of the rear tires.
Look great! Except that belly looks kind of soft and vulnerable. I see belly skids in your future. :)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

@Headbarcode - can you tell me the distance from the ground to your rock slider step when on level ground?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

looks good. You could possible move the rear axle forward a hair and buy you some room from the rear pinch seam.

brett
Sponsored