Metalcloak Drag link and Tie rod installation questions

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I installed the Metalcloak drag link and tie rod over the weekend, and had to say their instructions are not the best...
After installation, they are way too close to each other. When turning all the way to the driver side, they are touching each other!
I have torqued down the two ends already. Now do I need to loosen the nut, replace the rubber boots, and rotate the bend to make it face more forward? The stock drag link seems to bend more than Metalcloak.

Thanks a bunch!

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Drag link and Tie rod installation questions 1627873181457

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Drag link and Tie rod installation questions 1627873246988

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Drag link and Tie rod installation questions 1627873279519
Sponsored

OP
OP
hardrock_sea

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Thank you!

I was able to loosen the jam nuts and reposition the bend. I ran into more problems though and just reached out the Metalcloak customer support. Maybe someone here had some experience and can help answer too.

1. When turning the steering wheel all the way to the passenger side, there is loud squeaking noise. I suspect it is coming from the tie rod. It is in the video here: At the end of the video, you can hear when I twist the tie rod, there was some metal noise. I have already pumped more grease into it, but the joint felt very dry.

2. What is the proper length for the sections on the drag link? After straightening the steering wheel, below is what it looks like. The drag link is about 1.5" longer than the stock Rubicon drag link it replaced.

3. Jam nuts are so hard to work with and how do you properly tighten them?

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak Drag link and Tie rod installation questions 1627966435153
Sponsored