Sponsored

Metalcloak 3.5" lift with Rocksport shocks

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished up installing the Game changer 3.5" with rocksport shocks.

For those curious about bump stops, If you use the outboard shock mount and use the rock sports you will need a 3" bumpstop extension in the front there isnt enough uptravel in the rocksport shock due to how much droop the shock provides.

WZyznFF.jpg

Fully dropped out i actually had to start pulling all the clips from the frame rails for the e-locker and fad. Also had to tweak the diff breather since it was stretching out as well.

7bWnuMi.jpg

The rears were not too bad and i just ended up going with 3" of bump in the rear. The only additional clearance was bending the brake line brackets near the bump spot upwards towards the frame. Also moved the e-brake cables to below the subframe and under the evap. The e-locker wiring also had to get unclipped on the frame.

Wifey did the first test drive and she immediately noticed how much better the steering feel was compared to stock. No more wandering or being pushed by the wind at highway speeds. I partially believe this may also be due to the fact that i might have more than 6 degrees of caster. I actually need to get it checked out to determine where the caster is currently set. So far the wife likes it better than stock in terms of handling and suspension feel. I still need to take it through its paces to see how this suspension feels.

In terms of height, i am running 37x12.5 Patagonia MT's. I have the spare mounted on the rear and i also have a heavy zeon 10s with a 70 lb motobilt front bumper. Prior to this lift i was using the 2.5" Spacer lift from Rough country. All measurements were taken at the farthest point forward and rearward on the bottom of the OE rubicon slider

Rough country lift
Front 20 5/16
Rear 21 2/16

Metalcloak
Front 22 1/4
Rear 22 3/4

Total lift over the 2.5" Spacer kit was
Front 1 15/16
Rear 1 5/8

60VFuqb.jpg

H6oiUe4.jpg
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Good write up, looks great man

hellayellajlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
good info, jeep looks great. I am looking at a similar set up with those tires. Could you have used the factory wheels or was there not enough offset??

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
good info, jeep looks great. I am looking at a similar set up with those tires. Could you have used the factory wheels or was there not enough offset??
I have the MC 3.5 lift with stock wheels and use synergy wheel spacers
For the outboard shock mounts you need 4.5 back spacing

Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
Just finished up installing the Game changer 3.5" with rocksport shocks.

For those curious about bump stops, If you use the outboard shock mount and use the rock sports you will need a 3" bumpstop extension in the front there isnt enough uptravel in the rocksport shock due to how much droop the shock provides.

WZyznFF.jpg
I did the 2.5 GC lift on my Jeep and even though I have my axle perfectly centered under my Jeep on flat ground when I put my jeep into full articulation neither one of my front bumpstops lined up correctly with the factory jounce bumpers. There was so much travel and the axle was at such a angle that the jounce bumper looked like it was damn near hitting the side of the bumpstop. Anyone else notice this or have a solution?

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@anotheraznguy did you see any difference in fender height on the front, Installed the 3.5" this week and notice that passenger fender is an inch lower than driver side.

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@anotheraznguy did you see any difference in fender height on the front, Installed the 3.5" this week and notice that passenger fender is an inch lower than driver side.
Passenger side is lower. Standard jl/jk lean I am waiting till everything settles down to see if i need to get 1/2" spacer for passenger side

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passenger side is lower. Standard jl/jk lean I am waiting till everything settles down to see if i need to get 1/2" spacer for passenger side
Thanks to confirm, glad I'm not alone.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I have the MC 3.5 lift with stock wheels and use synergy wheel spacers
For the outboard shock mounts you need 4.5 back spacing
Could you use these shocks without the outboard shock mounts and with oem mounts? I have a different company's approx 3" coils and like the specs/pricepoint of these shocks, but have wheels with only 5.2 backspacing. Thanks!

Sponsored

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can use the shocks in the original mounts, only the high backspacing might cause rubbing

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Could you use these shocks without the outboard shock mounts and with oem mounts? I have a different company's approx 3" coils and like the specs/pricepoint of these shocks, but have wheels with only 5.2 backspacing. Thanks!
Your best bet is to talk with Metalcloak. When I contacted them about the relocation. They said it was necessary to prevent the shock from coming into contact with the frame since their shocks droop a lot.

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Does it measure equal with just the driver in it, or maybe when there is a full tank of gas weighing the driver side down?

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
With the added 3" Bump Stop does the 37" tire fully stuff into the fender or do you have a lot of gap? I thought this lift required added bump stop to keep the tire out of the fender lining anyway.

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
s the 37" tire fully stuff into the fender or do you have a lot of gap? I thought this lift required added bump stop to keep the tire out of the fender lining a
There was a passenger side lean which metal has fixed w/ shims per jeep.
In terms of stuffing a 37 with 3 inch bumpstops i had to remove the rear plastic on the bumper and i was able to stuff it slightly although tit would still rub on other parts of fender liner.
Sponsored