Sponsored

MetalCloak 3.5 Gamechanger Long Arm Suspension w Fox 3.0 Shocks Thoughts, Recommendations

ConorMurch

First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Seirra SLT 2014
Clubs

Hey Jeepers--

Just signed up for far too many Jeep Jamborees (5?) excited to get my 2024 392 on trails. Along with my Falken 37's (A/T3W), Artec Under armor I was considering upgrading the suspension / shocks. After digging through multiple forums, I *think* I have decided on the long arm 3.5 Gamechanger suspension with the Fox 3.0 shocks.

With that being said, has anyone done the same or similar upgrade and have images? I currently use this as a daily driver, and don't want the Jeep to look awkward. That, and any thoughts on my intended setup would be welcome. I'm searching for images but sometimes not really clear on what I am looking at--figured I'd come to this forum and see what fruit it bears.
Sponsored

HMB392

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392
The long arm kit is relatively new for Metalcloak so there are less in the wild but it offers improved geometry and has somewhat better performance potential as a result. Whether that's worth the additional cutting, fitting and optimization is your decision.

I just installed a 3.5 Gamechanger (standard length arms) with 37" KM3's and have been very happy with the drivability. You'll need a custom driveshaft (I'd recommend a Tom Woods or Adams with 1350 joints). The KM3's (Load range D versus C), springs and Fox shocks deliver a firmer than stock ride but still well within my expectations of a daily driver. I don't have any detectable driveline vibrations with this combination. You didn't say whether you planned to change the wheels at the same time or keep the factory set up with 1.75" spacers but you'll be fine ether way and many here have run similar set-ups successfully.

You didn't say what your intended application was but anything beyond a Fox 2.5 would really be for high speed (Think desert) off road driving versus rock crawling where the Fox 2.5's already offer a lot more performance than you can use in that scenario and most buy for adjustability and looks. Work with Metalcloak and your installer to ensure you are buying the right length shocks. The standard length kit needs shocks with an extended Length of 30.0" and a collapsed length of 17.7" or as close as you can find. It would be interesting to hear whether MetalCloak has a different recommendation for the long travel kit but you would need longer shocks to extend travel beyond the standard kit.

Finally, if you really want long arms and are considering shocks at that price point, it's worth comparing the EVO long arm kit with coil overs. Good luck with the project!

Last edited:

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Long arms are not necessary on a JL… unless you’re running an extremely high lift for high-speed Baja bashing. If not, you’ll get yourself hung up in the rocks… which is why virtually no one runs them.

Different story for the JK’s.

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JL392, 22 Yukon Denali, 18 F250, 17 Dutch Star
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
Long arms are not necessary on a JL… unless you’re running an extremely high lift for high-speed Baja bashing. If not, you’ll get yourself hung up in the rocks… which is why virtually no one runs them.

Different story for the JK’s.
While I agree that it's not necessary, having a long arm is a HUGE advantage for rock crawling. Keeping all 4 tires on the ground is incredibly helpful, and you can't do that with alligator arms.

Almost all the clanking I had before my long arm was installed was from the stock short arm brackets constantly hanging up on rocks. My Evo high clearance long arm bracket locations are tucked up and do not get hung up - ever.

I think the main reason you don't see a ton of long-arms on JL's out there, is that you have cut off the old brackets and weld on new brackets. But a good installer does it all the time...

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Those are 1-tons, 40's, and my rock-jock mid-arms... Let's see yours 😁
Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak 3.5 Gamechanger Long Arm Suspension w Fox 3.0 Shocks Thoughts, Recommendations IMG_5898

Jeep Wrangler JL MetalCloak 3.5 Gamechanger Long Arm Suspension w Fox 3.0 Shocks Thoughts, Recommendations IMG_7222

Sponsored

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
While I agree that it's not necessary, having a long arm is a HUGE advantage for rock crawling. Keeping all 4 tires on the ground is incredibly helpful, and you can't do that with alligator arms.

Almost all the clanking I had before my long arm was installed was from the stock short arm brackets constantly hanging up on rocks. My Evo high clearance long arm bracket locations are tucked up and do not get hung up - ever.

I think the main reason you don't see a ton of long-arms on JL's out there, is that you have cut off the old brackets and weld on new brackets. But a good installer does it all the time...
You'd be correct if we were talking about a JK, or earlier. On A JL, you're absolutely incorrect.

On a JK, or any of the previous generations, jeeps came from the factory with 'short-arm' control arms, which meant that owners of previous jeep generations needed to move to a long arm kit if the wanted to lift their jeeps, run bigger tires, and maintain a decent ride quality. If the didn't move to a long-arm setup, they could still run larger tires... But they couldn't correct their suspension geometry and they had to deal with a pretty harsh ride, both on road and off road.

On a JL, which comes from the factory with a mid-arm control arms, suspension geometry can be corrected with any quality adjustable control arm setup up to a 6" lift and a 40" tire. You in fact, a JL running 37" tires and a 3 1/2" metal cloak lift can easily forego their upper control arms and still correct their steering geometry 🥳

For a JL, Long arms are used on builds that run at a high ride-height and need to maximize shock uptravel, such as a desert racer. They allow the builder to have a high ride height and have a relatively flat control arm geometry.

In EVO's case, (in general) their King Coilovers will also require their long arm kit if you want to utize the full 14" of shock travel without running limiting straps or performing additional modifications. I actually run a bunch of EVO's stuff and I can tell you that you can run 37"s, without limiting straps, but you're going to need to replace both drive shafts and open your fenders up. On 40s", I also had to modify my frame so I could keep the upper (front) springs and sliders from contacting the frame at full articulation.

To the OP, call MC and discuss your specific needs. They are an honest company and they'll recommend the right lift for you👍. The internet experts always sound confident... But usually don't have a clue 🤓

BenderRodriguez

First Name
Bender
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JL392, 22 Yukon Denali, 18 F250, 17 Dutch Star
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Dev
In EVO's case, (in general) their King Coilovers will also require their long arm kit if you want to utize the full 14" of shock travel without running limiting straps or performing additional modifications.
more travel = more flex = more tire on the gound...

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Now you’re just stupid. I looked up your profile and I confirmed your baby-build… so I know you don’t have a clue 🕵️‍♂️

For a crawler, long arms do absolutely nothing to create more travel, flex, and tire on the ground. In fact, you’ll be dragging them over obstacles and getting hung up while everyone else is getting through 😝

JK’s needed them to correct their steering geometry, after lifting, so they could maintain decent handling. JL’s don’t have this problem.
Sponsored

Last edited: