MetalCloak 3.5 Game Changer install with pics

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Let me preface this post a little...… I did not need more lift on my JL, I just have the disease and enjoy wrenching as a stress reliever. There are lots of good lift choices coming out for the JL now and I narrowed my decision to two that "I" felt were some of the best. The RK 3.5" X-Factor and the MC 3.5 Game Changer. I spoke with both companies and they are both top notch in my book which made my decision even more difficult. Ultimately I went with MC for two reasons. I tow with my JL and the MC kit has higher rate springs which I really wanted. Also, I do wheel in the snow and the simpler, rubber based design of the MC joints might hold up to the salt a little better. Other than that it really was a toss up for me. I already had Falcon 2.1 shocks that were long enough for either kit.

I want to put in a plug here for Marcus at RiverCityOffroad.com He has been extremely helpful in some of my decision making. I bought all my shocks and my 2.2 steering stabilizer from him and would have bought the RK kit if I would have went that route. He offers a 10% discount to forum members and answers emails promptly.

Overall I am impressed with the MC kit. It drives great and rides great. All the parts are very high quality and everything went together like it should. I have not had a chance to wheel it yet but the on-road manners are great. My wheel spacers are not here yet and I don't want to work it too hard until they are on because the rear swaybar links are VERY close to the wheels.

The bad? My 37s look small now.

P.S. I have most of a Daystar 2" kit and an entire Rubicon suspension with 4K miles on it sitting here that I may sell. PM me if interested.

MC (1).jpg
MC (11).jpg
MC (5).jpg
MC (6).jpg
MC (7).jpg
MC (8).jpg
MC (9).jpg
MC (10).jpg
MC (2).jpg
MC (3).jpg
MC (4).jpg

-Eli
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I'm considering the game changer for my JLUR too. I have a few questions if you don't mind: You appear to have 37s on what look like the rubicon upgraded 17x7.5 wheels. Which size tire are you running? I am waffling between 35 and 37 but assumed I'd have to get new wheels. I know you already had the steering stabilizer upgrade. Do you think you would need to add that if you were going from stock? Last question, did you replace your driveshaft? Thanks!

EDIT: I saw your answer to the wheel size question in the other thread, so never mind on that. Still curious about the steering stabilizer and driveshaft questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I'm considering the game changer for my JLUR too. I have a few questions if you don't mind: You appear to have 37s on what look like the rubicon upgraded 17x7.5 wheels. Which size tire are you running? I am waffling between 35 and 37 but assumed I'd have to get new wheels. I know you already had the steering stabilizer upgrade. Do you think you would need to add that if you were going from stock? Last question, did you replace your driveshaft? Thanks!

EDIT: I saw your answer to the wheel size question in the other thread, so never mind on that. Still curious about the steering stabilizer and driveshaft questions.
I am hunting right now and don’t have good signal in my blind. Hopefully this will go through. Steering stabilizers are some what of a band aid to a problem that is common with solid front axle steering setups. I would run without upgrading first. If you feel wobble in your wheel and you are certain it’s not a loose or poorly set up front suspension then go ahead and upgrade it. It did help my Jeep. The further from horizontal your track bar and drag link get, the more suceptable to wobble your steering will be (/Yoda)

I am running a stock front driveshaft. My setup will not droop enough to damage it. It only becomes nessicary if your front shocks are 29” or longer extended.

-Eli

Sponsored

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
looks amazing, love the stock wheels with bigger tires

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I am considering the 2.5 GC lift and can't figure out if the 6 pack shocks are worth it. I also plan on running 37s and was wondering what the extended and compressed lengths of your shocks are. Also if your tires rub when fully stuffed with those shocks and if you could get away with longer shocks without the springs popping out. Basically wondering if you are giving up any travel running normal shocks with that lift kit. If you can't stuff a 37 enough to bottom out a normal shock I can't see how the 6 packs are worth it.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Might be time for 38s!

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I c
I am considering the 2.5 GC lift and can't figure out if the 6 pack shocks are worth it. I also plan on running 37s and was wondering what the extended and compressed lengths of your shocks are. Also if your tires rub when fully stuffed with those shocks and if you could get away with longer shocks without the springs popping out. Basically wondering if you are giving up any travel running normal shocks with that lift kit. If you can't stuff a 37 enough to bottom out a normal shock I can't see how the 6 packs are worth it.
The 6 packs are not worth the cost to me. I just barely get away with 2” bumpstop extensions. My KO2s lightly touch the fender liners at full stuff. Because of this I do not run as much droop as the kit it capable of. The metal cloak arms and springs will droop enough to rip off brake lines and tear your front driveshaft boots off if you let it. I have the same amount of overall suspension travel as someone with 3 or 4” bumpstops and longer shocks but my front shocks are just under 28”s extended. This allows me to run the factory front driveshaft. The amount of bumpstop you will need will depend on which 37” tire you choose and what backspacing you run. You can read about my shock lengths here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...k-measurements-and-install.15925/#post-389836

I run the 2” JLU monotubes. Also remember, whichever shock you choose you will have to run a certain amount of bumpstop depending on the length. You do not want to bottom your shocks out. If the shock is so long that it requires more bumpstop than you need to keep your tires out of the fenders then I would choose a shorter shock.

-Eli

Torque77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

In talking with MC when I ordered my 3.5 inch lift the main difference between the 6 packs and rock sports were the 6packs had longer travel but both would feel the same on road. I was going to buy falcon shocks with the lift but figured I’d try the rock sports first and see how it goes.

Sponsored

Torque77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Let me preface this post a little...… I did not need more lift on my JL, I just have the disease and enjoy wrenching as a stress reliever. There are lots of good lift choices coming out for the JL now and I narrowed my decision to two that "I" felt were some of the best. The RK 3.5" X-Factor and the MC 3.5 Game Changer. I spoke with both companies and they are both top notch in my book which made my decision even more difficult. Ultimately I went with MC for two reasons. I tow with my JL and the MC kit has higher rate springs which I really wanted. Also, I do wheel in the snow and the simpler, rubber based design of the MC joints might hold up to the salt a little better. Other than that it really was a toss up for me. I already had Falcon 2.1 shocks that were long enough for either kit.

I want to put in a plug here for Marcus at RiverCityOffroad.com He has been extremely helpful in some of my decision making. I bought all my shocks and my 2.2 steering stabilizer from him and would have bought the RK kit if I would have went that route. He offers a 10% discount to forum members and answers emails promptly.

Overall I am impressed with the MC kit. It drives great and rides great. All the parts are very high quality and everything went together like it should. I have not had a chance to wheel it yet but the on-road manners are great. My wheel spacers are not here yet and I don't want to work it too hard until they are on because the rear swaybar links are VERY close to the wheels.

The bad? My 37s look small now.

P.S. I have most of a Daystar 2" kit and an entire Rubicon suspension with 4K miles on it sitting here that I may sell. PM me if interested.

MC (1).jpg
MC (11).jpg
MC (5).jpg
MC (6).jpg
MC (7).jpg
MC (8).jpg
MC (9).jpg
MC (10).jpg
MC (2).jpg
MC (3).jpg
MC (4).jpg

-Eli

Eli,
How are the falcons with this lift? I really wanted them but the rocksports were only $200 more with the lift.

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Eli,
How are the falcons with this lift? I really wanted them but the rocksports were only $200 more with the lift.
I like the Falcons a lot. And they are rebuidable. Marcus at river city Offroad will give you 10% off a set of 4.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
There are lots of good lift choices coming out for the JL now and I narrowed my decision to two that "I" felt were some of the best. The RK 3.5" X-Factor and the MC 3.5 Game Changer.
I don't want to work it too hard until they are on because the rear swaybar links are VERY close to the wheels.

-Eli
Rk arms aren’t nearly as nice or durable as the mc arms. The heim joint side doesn’t last just because it’s a heim and especially in the rear. Supposedly they have refined the rk suspension over the past few years to make them ride better but i can’t think of one time I’ve driven a rk suspension and been impressed.
Mc is a different breed alltogether. Mc has the control arm market cornered and you would be hard pressed to find better built set of joints. The only miss on the kit I found was the rear sway bar end links...as you mentioned.

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Rk arms aren’t nearly as nice or durable as the mc arms. The heim joint side doesn’t last just because it’s a heim and especially in the rear. Supposedly they have refined the rk suspension over the past few years to make them ride better but i can’t think of one time I’ve driven a rk suspension and been impressed.
Mc is a different breed alltogether. Mc has the control arm market cornered and you would be hard pressed to find better built set of joints. The only miss on the kit I found was the rear sway bar end links...as you mentioned.
To be fair to MC, they do ask if you will be running wheels with more than 5.5" BS. My spacers were backordered. I have them on now and there is tons of room.

-Eli

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Here are some more pics stretching it out. Everything clears. These were pre-wheel spacers which I installed today.

-Eli
campflex1.jpg
campflex2.jpg
campflex3.jpg
campflex4.jpg
z33stuff.jpg
passcompress.jpg
passdroop.jpg
dricompress.jpg

Spidertrax 1.75s...

spacers (1).jpg
spacers (2).jpg