MetalCloak 3.5” lift kit for JL Wrangler

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
I have the MC Game Changer RockSport edition installed on my JLUR with the OEM Rubicon shocks. RockSport shocks have been on backorder for months... I was tempted to get Fox shocks valved by AccuTune, but decided to wait and see how the RockSports feel. Hopefully I'll have the RockSport shocks for Dusy Ershim Trail in September.... If not, I'll skip to Fox shocks valved by AccuTune...

Anyway, the MC system seems to be great, but without decent shocks it's hard to tell how great. I can say that the OEM shocks can not keep up with the MC springs and 37" tires. With the firmer than stock MC springs and increased rotating mass of my Cooper STT Pro's, a bumpy highway can set up some unpleasant oscillations. In the rocks with the OEM shocks the suspension travel is obviously no better than stock so it's difficult to accurately assess the system there too. However, after completing the Rubicon Trail and Barrett Lake Trail a few weeks ago, I have no complaints on the control arms and track bars. Everything has performed great except for the rear springs which have now settled about 3/4" lower, resulting in a bit of a raked look to the stance. Will at MC has said that their engineers will look into it. Lastly, I have noticed no increase in noise over OEM, so the Duraflex joints are doing their job on the isolation front.

Being a professional metal fabricator I can say that MC's build quality is very good for mass manufactured parts. Good production MIG welding, good fit & finish, and no surprises during installation. MC offers a quality product.

But, without the proper shocks it is very hard to tell how the suspension really works. I can say that it looks good, nothing has broken yet, and customer service has been very good. My only complaint is with the non existent shocks, which, in all fairness, is out of MC's control, as they don't make them. I ordered my system on May 2nd and still no shocks... However, to MC's credit they shipped the system and included shock extensions so I could do a planned trip over the 4th of July weekend--that is good customer service.

That's my story.
The rocksports are meh...
Sponsored

Ethan

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Metal Fabricator & Stuff
The rocksports are meh...
I'm running them now. On the road they seem ok, definitely better than the OEM Rubicon shocks with the Game Changer system. When I install my UD60's I'll switch to Accutune Fox shocks. I think the extra 1/2" of travel that is offered by the Rocksports over the Fox shocks doesn't amount to much. I've already run quite a few big trails with the OEM rubicon shocks and have had zero issues that more travel would have helped with. Right now I have about 5" up travel and 6"+ down.... that's more than I've ever had in any Jeep and it's plenty for me.

The Rocksport shocks are beefier than the OEM Rubicon shocks with bigger tubes and bigger shafts. That accounts for something and they do work well on the road. However, I have yet to hit the trail with them. Build quality is on par with OEM, but nowhere near MetalCloaks own 6 Packs, Fox, or King.

I'll let you know how the Rocksports hold up on Dusy Ershim Trail in October. I suspect they are just fine for rock crawling...

Brand0n

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15AEVJKUR
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Okay so I have 4k miles on the game changer and here's my 2cents so far. Number one is the handling overall is tits! I finally got the steering gear box swapped out and this thing lifted is better than the brand new 1500 they loaned me while the yeep was in the shop. There's no slop in the bushings, still no creaking when flexing it out, and tracks straight over pot holes and crap at 80+ The rear end sag after settling is pretty noticeable, and starting to resemble more baja raking as opposed to the opposite raking when first installed. I dont really care either way but considering the rear bumper is the light plastic stock junk until I find one I like, this could start to become more pronounced in the coming months... And I finally got the rocksports in and slapped them on. And if we're honest, I hate em. They're great on the trail for really taking advantage of all that insane articulation, but on the highway (granted I'm doing 80ish) I feel like I'm in a 90's civic with chopped springs when I hit large bumps/bridge thresholds and it bounces around significantly more than the stockers did. And on turns the body roll is a LOT more pronounced. So the lift is 5 stars for sure; the rocksports are great for trail but a little too soft for my taste for road manners... I think something adjustable would be the perfect match to compliment the lift fully for its Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde potential.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
the rear settling doesn't sound all that great.how much are you guessing it's settled?I ordered one with the rocksports and kinda figured they wouldn't be that great but they will have to do tell there's more options.

Sponsored

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My Metalcloak 3.5 Game Changer should be installed within the next few days. I chose to go with the ADS racing reservoir shocks w/premium clicker adjusters so I can change the shock rate on the fly when I want to climb the Grand Canyon or just fight Mall traffic on a Sunday afternoon. Reviews soon to follow once we are complete and up and running.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
I'm running them now. On the road they seem ok, definitely better than the OEM Rubicon shocks with the Game Changer system. When I install my UD60's I'll switch to Accutune Fox shocks. I think the extra 1/2" of travel that is offered by the Rocksports over the Fox shocks doesn't amount to much. I've already run quite a few big trails with the OEM rubicon shocks and have had zero issues that more travel would have helped with. Right now I have about 5" up travel and 6"+ down.... that's more than I've ever had in any Jeep and it's plenty for me.

The Rocksport shocks are beefier than the OEM Rubicon shocks with bigger tubes and bigger shafts. That accounts for something and they do work well on the road. However, I have yet to hit the trail with them. Build quality is on par with OEM, but nowhere near MetalCloaks own 6 Packs, Fox, or King.

I'll let you know how the Rocksports hold up on Dusy Ershim Trail in October. I suspect they are just fine for rock crawling...
Agree, They're not bad for crawling and highway use , I just like to adjust my compression and rebound. the droop on the game changer is industry leading.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just finished installing my 3.5 gamechanger with the rocksport shocks tonight. I took it for a little riide after I got every thing set as good as I can with out a alignment rack. It does drive better than when I was on the R.C. Boost for dam sure. On the boost I had about 4degs of caster lots of bump steering now I've got this one set some where around 5.5 of caster night and day haveing that caster back.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Has the sagging rear end been address? I hate the “cali lean” and would be a deal breaker for me.

Brett

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Has the sagging rear end been address? I hate the “cali lean” and would be a deal breaker for me.

Brett
I've got the 3.5" GC with Falcon 2.1 series shocks. Also have a ~200lb rooftop tent up on the Jeep. No noticeable sagging here.

Sponsored

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
How are you liking the Falcon shocks?

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
How are you liking the Falcon shocks?
I love them. I'm right at the edge of the rated height for this particular version. Mine are for 2-4" of lift, and obviously the GC is at 3.5" but they ride and handle very well. I haven't noticed any rough shock bottoming out, and at full dropped, the springs are still firmly seated.

I will probably update to the 3.3 series at some point, purely for the adjustable dampening.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So not sure how I never saw this thread. Here is mine with the 3.5 GC with sixpacks! Hope to get it out on the trails soon to put it through the paces. Was waiting on under armor. That is now on. but i see they now have more for the fron and rear axle. waiting on that now. Oh and very interested to see how these fenders come out.

wheel side view.jpg

37348972_10215114472527199_4459422233713967104_n.jpg

37217190_10215114471527174_8181713562721320960_n.jpg

37187877_10215114471567175_1728581657826426880_n.jpg
Which wheels are those?

Ethan

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Metal Fabricator & Stuff
I just completed Dusy Ershim Trail with my 3.5" Game Changer Rocksport system... on the road I like the ride. It's a little squishy, but the shocks do ok for the price point. However, on big trails they leave a lot to be desired. In fact, they are severely underwhelming. I'll be switching to Falcon or Fox pretty soon. The Rocksport damping rocks you like a bobble head under water.... I guess MC figures that if you're serious about off road you'll spend real money on shocks.

Springs, yeah, my rear end is now a solid 1.5" lower than the day I installed the system 4 months ago. I was on my bump stops every other moment on the trail, it seemed. The combination of the sagging springs and squishy, under dampened shocks left me hanging. I'm willing to give MC another chance on the springs (I was promised another set from a newer batch), but the shocks are another story. Unless, like the springs, this first batch had some issue...

Speaking of issues, my lower control arm Duroflex joints are all cracked.... another batch issue?

Damn, I don't mean to complain, but I'm not getting what I paid for. I'm looking at replacing this whole system if MC doesn't step up here. 4 months and the whole system is trashed.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ethan that's not a really great update after a few months. I hope they take care of you on the springs and bushings. I've been on mine for about two weeks is all but love it compared to the R.C boost. We are heading down to Moab next week to try it out.
Sponsored