MetalCloak 3.5” lift kit for JL Wrangler

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I'm hoping MetalCloak doesn't come out with a 2-2.5" kit.

Less temptation. I'm staying stock height damnit.
It's coming or so they have told me.
Sponsored

Brand0n

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15AEVJKUR
Occupation
Physical Therapist
The lift FINALLY came in the mail today!!! Too lazy to carry all the boxes up 3 flights of stairs, so if anyone sees my JL with lift in the back please don't steal it :like:

They sent me this pic of one on 40's when I asked if they'd fit :rock:

40s.jpg

They've since added more pics of this one on the CTI, and some pics of a black one on 37's to their Facebook page.

moephish2o

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado High Country, 1980 CJ7 Renegade, 2002 Trans AM WS6
I got mine installed last week. It is the Rocksport Edition, but I'm still waiting on the rocksports to come in. Also installed the mopar beadlocks wrapped in 37x12.5 STT Pros. I'm loving it so far, but cant wait to see how it rides with the rocksports. Here are a couple of pics from when i finished the install. My spare tire didn't ship with the others, and I just picked it up last night. Going to get it on today, take some good pics and start an official build thread soon. I'll update this post with the thread link when I do.

JeepJL_2.jpg
JeepJL_3.jpg

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine installed last week. It is the Rocksport Edition, but I'm still waiting on the rocksports to come in. Also installed the mopar beadlocks wrapped in 37x12.5 STT Pros. I'm loving it so far, but cant wait to see how it rides with the rocksports. Here are a couple of pics from when i finished the install. My spare tire didn't ship with the others, and I just picked it up last night. Going to get it on today, take some good pics and start an official build thread soon. I'll update this post with the thread link when I do.

JeepJL_2.jpg
JeepJL_3.jpg
Looks great.

The Rocksport goes to 30" extended and Rock Krawler now also show TT system with shocks, 30" extended. However, I see Rock Krawler recommending a new front C.V. driveshaft for travel larger than 29". It is probably at the edge around 29-30", so it might be OK. Do you plan to change the driveshaft? Anybody else have recommendations on this?

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
There’s also a pretty nice 2.5” kit from Icon Vehicle Dynamics. Solid stuff. Will take 35s or 37s.

Sponsored

moephish2o

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado High Country, 1980 CJ7 Renegade, 2002 Trans AM WS6
Looks great.

The Rocksport goes to 30" extended and Rock Krawler now also show TT system with shocks, 30" extended. However, I see Rock Krawler recommending a new front C.V. driveshaft for travel larger than 29". It is probably at the edge around 29-30", so it might be OK. Do you plan to change the driveshaft? Anybody else have recommendations on this?
I messaged metalcloak before purchasing and they said they had been wheeling the setup with no DS issues so far. I do believe you would run into issues if you were seeing full shock extension a lot. I don't plan on swapping DS anytime soon. It will see the trails but I will be taking somewhat easy while it's still under warranty. Also where I live there isn't a lot of riding options unless you are on private land, but I have three bordering states with nice options. It just takes a bit more planing to make a weekend out of it. It's not a DD... more of the family fun car that will see 80/20 roads to trails. I wanted it to be driver though with a nice ride and liked the idea of duroflex joints. So far very pleased and can't wait for the rocksports to get here.

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Sales/Tech Support- Metalcloak
I would love to hear any feedback from anyone who has the kit installed so far! (Good or Bad!!) An update on the Rocksports shocks, we will have the shocks themselves early to mid next month and will ship all the backordered shocks out first!

Brand0n

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15AEVJKUR
Occupation
Physical Therapist
I would love to hear any feedback from anyone who has the kit installed so far! (Good or Bad!!) An update on the Rocksports shocks, we will have the shocks themselves early to mid next month and will ship all the backordered shocks out first!
Well it's shiny, that's for sure! Hahaha Definitely impressed with how well relocating the shocks worked out. 3.5" taller with the same stock shocks and no increased body roll. Other than that I haven't gotten to really play with it yet on the trails, but pavement manners are stock-tastic. Also, I shortened the UA's up to ride it at 6deg caster and holy shit does the steering feel great!!
NNmxQmrcmWxUl2b6whVMsd0tCFhDuXhXEZ1-cLx1Nd3GUPWMlFtcERLjOJtl5KR3BMpbgGsnpFnokAs9Jc=w1478-h718-no.jpg

Now, can we please see some more peeks of those upcoming fenders??? :fingerscrossed:

Tykoehn1

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Well it's shiny, that's for sure! Hahaha Definitely impressed with how well relocating the shocks worked out. 3.5" taller with the same stock shocks and no increased body roll. Other than that I haven't gotten to really play with it yet on the trails, but pavement manners are stock-tastic. Also, I shortened the UA's up to ride it at 6deg caster and holy shit does the steering feel great!!
NNmxQmrcmWxUl2b6whVMsd0tCFhDuXhXEZ1-cLx1Nd3GUPWMlFtcERLjOJtl5KR3BMpbgGsnpFnokAs9Jc=w1478-h718-no.jpg

Now, can we please see some more peeks of those upcoming fenders??? :fingerscrossed:
I was wondering if a change in caster would make a large improvement in wondering.

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I just installed RKs 3.5 X-Factor. The MC sits over an inch higher than the RK 3.5. RK measures their lift based on a stock rubicon, so sits at 3.5 there. MC seems to be compensating for mod weight by going a bit higher. After bumpers, tire carrier, skids, winch etc, I'm looking at about 3 inches, if that.

Sponsored

Zenk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Couple of questions:
1.) Are you running the stock Rubicon shocks?
2.) Did the kit come with alignment specs, or did you just align to factory specs?
TIA

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation

Thank you for the feedback! i am happy to hear the shock brackets are working well until the Rocksport shocks show up, just make sure not to cut that stock rear mount. Once you get some trail miles and more street miles, would love to hear how it is doing for you!

I am sure this is the photo you have seen, but just in case here is the only shot of them so far ;)

JL Coils.jpg

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Couple of questions:
1.) Are you running the stock Rubicon shocks?
2.) Did the kit come with alignment specs, or did you just align to factory specs?
TIA

The kit does come with our Rocksport Shocks, but as with any new part there was some delays getting the parts. So instead of keeping everyone waiting we built shock brackets to make the stock shocks work until we can ship the correct shocks out!

For the alignment specs we have always gone with the higher side of factory, which would be 5-6 degrees of caster.

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Got the MetalCloak 3.5" Rocksport Edition installed by a local shop (I'm also using the temp shock extensions + stock shocks until the Rocksport shocks come in) + Rugged Ridge XHD wheels + 37x12.5r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers

I drove it for like 2 days with the stock wheels, and noticed that when I turned the wheels all the way (like turning into a parking spot) that the stock wheels did not have sufficient backspacing and were rubbing (I believe on the arms). Once I got the 4.53 backspaced XHD's on there, everything has been great.

Did some freeway driving on it today... 75 MPH, decent speed offramps, and everything felt amazing! Very impressed It was a little stiff, in that I was feeling every crack in the road... hoping that either the Rocksport shocks or dropping the PSI down some in the tires will help soften that up.

Going to hit the trails next weekend and put it to the real test :)

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg
Sponsored