MetalCloak 3.5” lift kit for JL Wrangler

Dragmod

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6
I really want this kit but am worried I’ll have clearance issues with my wheels as they only have 5” backspacing.
Sponsored

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Sales/Tech Support- Metalcloak
I really want this kit but am worried I’ll have clearance issues with my wheels as they only have 5” backspacing.
You can definitely still run the kit, you will just want to not install the front Outboard Mounts with those wheels. The other issue is 5" of BS may not be enough for larger tires, what size do you plan on running?

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
I've got 37x12.5 on 8.5 wheels with 5" BS also on just a R.C boost at this time. I'm really considering going with Metalcloak 3.5 also. Have you guys tested on anything other than a 4.5 BS wheel?

Dragmod

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6
You can definitely still run the kit, you will just want to not install the front Outboard Mounts with those wheels. The other issue is 5" of BS may not be enough for larger tires, what size do you plan on running?
I will most likely start with 35s but will do 37s in the future after a year or so. But who know may just immediately jump to 37s if I won’t rub.

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
I've got 37x12.5 on 8.5 wheels with 5" BS also on just a R.C boost at this time. I'm really considering going with Metalcloak 3.5 also. Have you guys tested on anything other than a 4.5 BS wheel?
We have not done any testing on the 5" BS, but with the axles being 1" wider on each side than the Non-rubi models, it does seem like it could work. You would just not want to run the Outboard mounts in the front or if you do adjust your steering stops to keep them from hitting at full lock to lock

Sponsored

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
I will most likely start with 35s but will do 37s in the future after a year or so. But who know may just immediately jump to 37s if I won’t rub.
It will work with 35s for sure and as I noted above with a Rubicon the 5" BS should work for a 37" but I have not tested that.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Just got my MetalCloak 3.5” RockSport Edition installed. Love it! And yes, it’s a full 3.5” lift.
Big thanks to Aaron & Matson at MetalCloak AND Scott at CloakWorks 4x4 for the install! View attachment 70503

DF5E7C61-D35D-4334-B27C-549A402CA722.jpeg
Question - MC recommends an aftermarket driveshaft. Did you replace yours (and if so, with which one) and/or if not are you noticing any issues? Thanks.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Got the MetalCloak 3.5" Rocksport Edition installed by a local shop (I'm also using the temp shock extensions + stock shocks until the Rocksport shocks come in) + Rugged Ridge XHD wheels + 37x12.5r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers

I drove it for like 2 days with the stock wheels, and noticed that when I turned the wheels all the way (like turning into a parking spot) that the stock wheels did not have sufficient backspacing and were rubbing (I believe on the arms). Once I got the 4.53 backspaced XHD's on there, everything has been great.

Did some freeway driving on it today... 75 MPH, decent speed offramps, and everything felt amazing! Very impressed It was a little stiff, in that I was feeling every crack in the road... hoping that either the Rocksport shocks or dropping the PSI down some in the tires will help soften that up.

Going to hit the trails next weekend and put it to the real test :)

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg
Gorgeous! Wife surprised me by saying she really like the Mojito! (she's normally a fan of red, and I'm not) so really hope this color option survives into 2019 order book. Looks great with the lift, wheels and tires you've selected. Now you've got me second-guessing my decision to go with the black fenders as that looks really sharp with the Mojito! across them. Ahhh, first world problems, eh? :)

GRN JLLO

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F250, 2016 Ford Mustang GT PP, 1923 Ford T-Bucket Roadster, 1965 Ford Falcon
Went out and flexed it a little bit to check it for rubbing and to check the brake lines. My wheels have 3.5 inch backspacing. I didn't identify any rubbing. I have the max bump stops in. I also noticed that they don't line up very well and have the potential to slip off. Will take it out on the trail this weekend. I may take one bumpstop puck out of the front and 1 block out of the rear and see how that goes.
IMG_5556.JPG
IMG_5557.JPG
IMG_5560.JPG
IMG_5562.JPG
IMG_5563.JPG
IMG_5565.JPG
IMG_5568.JPG
IMG_5569.JPG

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
Looks fantastic.

Sponsored

Ethan

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Metal Fabricator & Stuff
I have the MC Game Changer RockSport edition installed on my JLUR with the OEM Rubicon shocks. RockSport shocks have been on backorder for months... I was tempted to get Fox shocks valved by AccuTune, but decided to wait and see how the RockSports feel. Hopefully I'll have the RockSport shocks for Dusy Ershim Trail in September.... If not, I'll skip to Fox shocks valved by AccuTune...

Anyway, the MC system seems to be great, but without decent shocks it's hard to tell how great. I can say that the OEM shocks can not keep up with the MC springs and 37" tires. With the firmer than stock MC springs and increased rotating mass of my Cooper STT Pro's, a bumpy highway can set up some unpleasant oscillations. In the rocks with the OEM shocks the suspension travel is obviously no better than stock so it's difficult to accurately assess the system there too. However, after completing the Rubicon Trail and Barrett Lake Trail a few weeks ago, I have no complaints on the control arms and track bars. Everything has performed great except for the rear springs which have now settled about 3/4" lower, resulting in a bit of a raked look to the stance. Will at MC has said that their engineers will look into it. Lastly, I have noticed no increase in noise over OEM, so the Duraflex joints are doing their job on the isolation front.

Being a professional metal fabricator I can say that MC's build quality is very good for mass manufactured parts. Good production MIG welding, good fit & finish, and no surprises during installation. MC offers a quality product.

But, without the proper shocks it is very hard to tell how the suspension really works. I can say that it looks good, nothing has broken yet, and customer service has been very good. My only complaint is with the non existent shocks, which, in all fairness, is out of MC's control, as they don't make them. I ordered my system on May 2nd and still no shocks... However, to MC's credit they shipped the system and included shock extensions so I could do a planned trip over the 4th of July weekend--that is good customer service.

That's my story.

Last edited:

N8282

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater
Looks great! Would you share the details on the wheels? Also, I like your front bumper -- what is it?

Just got my MetalCloak 3.5” RockSport Edition installed. Love it! And yes, it’s a full 3.5” lift.
Big thanks to Aaron & Matson at MetalCloak AND Scott at CloakWorks 4x4 for the install! View attachment 70503

DF5E7C61-D35D-4334-B27C-549A402CA722.jpeg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Looks great! Would you share the details on the wheels? Also, I like your front bumper -- what is it?
Those are Mopar beadlock wheels and the OEM steel bumper with the ends removed.

DBROKL

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So not sure how I never saw this thread. Here is mine with the 3.5 GC with sixpacks! Hope to get it out on the trails soon to put it through the paces. Was waiting on under armor. That is now on. but i see they now have more for the fron and rear axle. waiting on that now. Oh and very interested to see how these fenders come out.

wheel side view.jpg

37348972_10215114472527199_4459422233713967104_n.jpg

37217190_10215114471527174_8181713562721320960_n.jpg

37187877_10215114471567175_1728581657826426880_n.jpg

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So just to confirm. If i am to use the front shock relocation i will need a backspacing of 4.5"

Since i would like to stay with stock rubicon wheels for now wouldnt i just need a 1 inch spacer? i was reading on the forums that our stock wheels were 17x7.5 +45 (5.5" of BS) Or is some number wrong? where it is suggested to run a 2 inch spacer.
Sponsored