Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Sales/Tech Support- Metalcloak
Got the MetalCloak 3.5" Rocksport Edition installed by a local shop (I'm also using the temp shock extensions + stock shocks until the Rocksport shocks come in) + Rugged Ridge XHD wheels + 37x12.5r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers

I drove it for like 2 days with the stock wheels, and noticed that when I turned the wheels all the way (like turning into a parking spot) that the stock wheels did not have sufficient backspacing and were rubbing (I believe on the arms). Once I got the 4.53 backspaced XHD's on there, everything has been great.

Did some freeway driving on it today... 75 MPH, decent speed offramps, and everything felt amazing! Very impressed It was a little stiff, in that I was feeling every crack in the road... hoping that either the Rocksport shocks or dropping the PSI down some in the tires will help soften that up.

Going to hit the trails next weekend and put it to the real test :)

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg
That is a beautiful Jeep! I have always been a fan of green!

What Psi are you running in the tires? Just curious

Would you mind if I use your photos to share on IG or Facebook? If you have accounts on either let me know and I will tag you as well if it's fine.
Sponsored

Brand0n

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15AEVJKUR
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Ya, so we did the setup at the recommended UCA/LCA length and were getting 4.6° on the rack, shortened up the uppers by 3 rotations and were at 5.6°, shortened up by 2 more and hit 6.2° Drove it around and was very happy set toe all the way to .20 and it's night and day compared to what it was driving stock. I have one of the shitty gear boxes and we tightened it up 1/4 turn and still sucks so decided to order a new one regardless. It's so much better than stock on the MC with the caster and toe setup on the 37s but still get the overcorrecting sawing on banked corners at high speeds (>65). But like I said gear box or not bumping that caster and toe is tight TIGHT with everything else. Also, running the method 312s 17x9 with 4.5 backspacing and STT Pros 37x13.5 @35psi. No rub lock to lock with steering but crawled up on a wall this weekend (promptly followed by a DWI despite being in my friends front yard and not actually driving ANYWHERE or on a road) and the 13.5 are too wide with the 4.5 backspacing to tuck up clean in the fenders like the 12.5s do. So anxiously awaiting trial but more anxiously awaiting the new MC fenders

Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FJ (+about $30k)/14 4runner on 6112s n Icons (looking at JLURs)
Got the MetalCloak 3.5" Rocksport Edition installed by a local shop (I'm also using the temp shock extensions + stock shocks until the Rocksport shocks come in) + Rugged Ridge XHD wheels + 37x12.5r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg
Wow that's nice!

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yes, you are welcome to use the photo's. I'll also post some more interesting ones next week after I hit the trail...
My PSI was at 36, so I dropped it down to 30... probably still a little high, but going to try it out

GRN JLLO

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F250, 2016 Ford Mustang GT PP, 1923 Ford T-Bucket Roadster, 1965 Ford Falcon
Finished my install this this afternoon. Waiting on shocks also. Using stockers with extensions for now. Getting aligned in the morning. 37x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Black Rhino Crawler beadlocks. Still waiting on my tire carrier. The only issue I have so far is that It is showing that the Electronic Stability Control malfunctioned and needs to be serviced.
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG

Sponsored

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
Finished my install this this afternoon. Waiting on shocks also. Using stockers with extensions for now. Getting aligned in the morning. 37x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Black Rhino Crawler beadlocks. Still waiting on my tire carrier. The only issue I have so far is that It is showing that the Electronic Stability Control malfunctioned and needs to be serviced.
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
That’s looking mighty nice.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
Badass lookin jeep!

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
Awesome. Love the wheels!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
That’s normal as the steering wheel seems turned to the electronics.

Sponsored

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So I figured out what was rubbing with stock wheels... so I first had the lift put on and ran the stock wheels for 2 days before I put on the new wheels with 4.53 backspacing. I went to sell my stock wheels today, and when the guy purchasing them inspected the inside of the two front wheels had been damaged. After looking more, when the wheels were turned all the way the inside of the wheel was rubbing on the brackets that move the front shock mounts.

I have new wheels on now... but a lesson learned that you cannot run stock wheels with the front shock relocation brackets.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So I figured out what was rubbing with stock wheels... so I first had the lift put on and ran the stock wheels for 2 days before I put on the new wheels with 4.53 backspacing. I went to sell my stock wheels today, and when the guy purchasing them inspected the inside of the two front wheels had been damaged. After looking more, when the wheels were turned all the way the inside of the wheel was rubbing on the brackets that move the front shock mounts.

I have new wheels on now... but a lesson learned that you cannot run stock wheels with the front shock relocation brackets.
Theres a big note in bold gold letters on the product description:

IMPORTANT NOTE: If using OE wheels 2" spacers will be needed to give proper clearance. These mounts are intended for use for wheels with 4.5" of backspacing or less or an equivalent of a 2" spacer on factory wheels.”

ULTRA JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon - Billet Silver
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my MetalCloak 3.5” RockSport Edition installed. Love it! And yes, it’s a full 3.5” lift.
Big thanks to Aaron & Matson at MetalCloak AND Scott at CloakWorks 4x4 for the install! View attachment 70503

DF5E7C61-D35D-4334-B27C-549A402CA722.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hit the mountains today to see how she did with a little flexing...

IMG_1563.JPG

Really impressed with the highway manners on the drive out! 75 MPH feeling like stock (better than the 3.5" AEV on my '15 JKU)
IMG_1569.JPG

Front passenger side fender here fully flexed, you can see the 37x12.5r17 tucks in nicely and good clearance... even for the rock stuck in my tread
IMG_1583.JPG

While the fender fit, my front right tire was rubbing on the bumper when turned and flexed... I may need to take the caps off
IMG_1581.JPG

I wasn't able to get my rear fully flexed, was probably just the obstacles... might have been down travel with only OEM shocks? However there is this funny little part that pokes in on the rear inner fender that was rubbing when flexed. Could adjust the arms to pull the axle forward a just a hair... or just deal with it... or remove that little piece... or figure something out...
With that said, overall the clearance with the rear fenders outside that one spot looked good... I think it will tuck nicely when fully flexed.
IMG_1587.JPG

Here is the front passenger side spring when fully flexed, you can see it didn't compress straight and as a result the bump stop went off the edge of the contact point. Probably the most interesting.
IMG_1579.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: