Metalcloak 3.5” front coil springs not seated correctly in upper isolator

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
So it’s raining and I will have to wait for the weekend now. Question, what is the best way to jack up and where to put stands for this job? I am thinking jack up the pumpkin and place stands on the axle tube closest to the wheel end. Do I also want to jack up from frame and place jack stands on the frame rail behind the lca so I can lower the axle? I am working in my dirt driveway and have one floor jack (the 3.5 ton eagle pro that can jack pretty high). Any advice or suggestions welcome ?
I’d rather leave control arms, drag link & shocks bolted. I think unbolting the sway bar would be best…. Mine is the rubicon electronic sway bar, do I just unbolt at the link (upper or lower)? Thanks again ?
You do have 6+ ton stands, right? If not, you'll probably need platforms under the stands to get the height.
Sponsored

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Any wires or breather hoses or anything else that would need to be unclipped in order to drop the axle sides so low?
Yes, make sure you have slack in everything as mentioned when dropping lower than what the shocks would normally allow. Breather, e-locker, fad, brake lines.
Your brake lines probably don't use the stock brackets anymore, just make sure they have enough slack, and only allow the axle to drop far enough to remove the springs and not pull on your brake lines.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Ok so I removed the drivers side coil and the OE front upper isolator was all jammed up by the spring. I rotated it and snipped one of the nubs but then the coil pushed backwards instead of frontwards. I removed the isolator and flipped it, snipping both nubs and it the coil still wants to bunch forward or backwards because it won’t sit flat on the isolator.
so, where to I order the upper isolators? Metalcloak website doesn’t show them for sale???? Anyone have a link?
So F’n frustrated with this crap ??‍♂

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I found the upper isolators and ordered them, asked them to please overnight or send for free since these should have been included in the first place. Now I’m spending hours and scratching up my coils trying to address….. not a happy Metalcloak customer right now!!!!!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I removed the drivers side coil and the OE front upper isolator was all jammed up by the spring. I rotated it and snipped one of the nubs but then the coil pushed backwards instead of frontwards. I removed the isolator and flipped it, snipping both nubs and it the coil still wants to bunch forward or backwards because it won’t sit flat on the isolator.
so, where to I order the upper isolators? Metalcloak website doesn’t show them for sale???? Anyone have a link?
So F’n frustrated with this crap ??‍♂
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-upper-leveling-spring-spacer-pad-set-3-6-motor.html

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I found the upper isolators and ordered them, asked them to please overnight or send for free since these should have been included in the first place. Now I’m spending hours and scratching up my coils trying to address….. not a happy Metalcloak customer right now!!!!!
Had the exact same scenario with my 3.5 Metal cCoak springs. They looked exactly the way your picture illustrates. I thought it was because I had the 3.0 diesel and the heavier front end must have caused what I could see, and slightly feel in the ride. I two was able to locate and asked M.C. to send me the top isolators. Installed them never a problem again. Fixed.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Had the exact same scenario with my 3.5 Metal cCoak springs. They looked exactly the way your picture illustrates. I thought it was because I had the 3.0 diesel and the heavier front end must have caused what I could see, and slightly feel in the ride. I two was able to locate and asked M.C. to send me the top isolators. Installed them never a problem again. Fixed.
I sure hope they fix this, what a pain in the ass too! I have to work from my mountain dirt driveway and I’m in my fifties with limited tools and experience so this has not made me very happy. I’ve asked Metalcloak to send these to me for free (comp my purchase) and send overnight if possible. I heard they have great customer service so I sure hope they take care of me…… I spent a lot of money on Metalcloak parts and was planning on adding more but that’ll depend wether they take care of me or not. My coils are getting all scraped up now and this experience is leaving a bad taste in my mouth….. hopefully that changes soon!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
By the way I did use spring compressors and although they’re scratching the paint on the coils, they feel very safe for the most part and I removed the spring while compressed.
I did have to unbolt the lower shock and I wanted to unbolt the sway bar link but it felt under pressure so I left it. It was definitely in the way. I had the Jeep in 4Lo with sway bar disconnected when I shut it off and jacked it up, but it felt like the sway bar was attached.
What is the best way to disconnect the sway bar link to get it out of the way for next time???

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
By the way I did use spring compressors and although they’re scratching the paint on the coils, they feel very safe for the most part and I removed the spring while compressed.
I did have to unbolt the lower shock and I wanted to unbolt the sway bar link but it felt under pressure so I left it. It was definitely in the way. I had the Jeep in 4Lo with sway bar disconnected when I shut it off and jacked it up, but it felt like the sway bar was attached.
What is the best way to disconnect the sway bar link to get it out of the way for next time???
Just unbolt the links at ride height before you get started……

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Learning is the best part.
I have learned in my old age, most of the time anyway, to be patient, plan on nothing going completely right in the aftermarket world, and just doing things right. I do all my own work still at 57 years old. It's been a real fun task moving around heavy arse UD60's and installing the PSC kit by myself the last couple weekend's, in my driveway. Thank god for an engine hoist and an axle dolly.

Did you have a shop install the lift kit?
If so, they should have told you about any possible missing parts, the isolators are in the instructions. I feel your frustration, but I would not be too hard on MC for what should have been caught during the install. Time for a cold one :)..

Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak 3.5” front coil springs not seated correctly in upper isolator MC isolator

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Metalcloak is coming thru, they told me they’re refunding my purchase and over nighting the isolators to me! They should show up today and I’m staying home so I can install them and get the Jeep back on trails!

I’ll admit, I was a little fired up about this and it appears the blame should be on the shop that did the install as they should have made sure all parts were installed correctly and if something was missing it’s on them to make sure it gets sent and installed.

I won’t be using the shop anymore but I will continue to support and purchase Metalcloak products thanks to their customer service and the quality parts!

I hope to post a happy closing post later today! I’ll try to remember to snap some pics of my project today so you can see the deformed oe isolators and how they wreak havoc on the springs!
Sponsored