Sponsored

Metalcloak 2.5" lift needs drive shaft upgrade?

OP
OP
jntrees

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S, Ducati 899
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a wait time on metal cloak right now?
Don't know yet. Still getting everything in order before I commit. I considered RK as well but it wasn't recommended by both shops over MC.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jntrees

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S, Ducati 899
Vehicle Showcase
Oh..I almost forgot. Both shops recommended Flashcal. Better choice than Tazer in you all's opinion?

Matsonian

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Matson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Is there a wait time on metal cloak right now?
Yes, thanks to our County still operating under state mandated restrictions, we are operating with skeleton crew and are experiencing delays by up to 3-4 weeks on some orders. Rest assured we are diligently working through all orders and are striving to get back to normal delivery times ASAP. When you place an order online you with either get a personal call or email from a member of my team giving you an Estimated Ship Time so you can plan accordingly.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
says on their website that due to covid shipping times may be delayed up to 1 or 2 weeks
Copy that, I thought it was Adams that they supplied.
I read that Metalcloak outsources the driveshaft they offer with a local company...might as well get an adams with warranty.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
I'd skip the sector shaft/trackbar brace and save the $. Many people cant tell the difference after adding it and were simply sold by social media and seeing others buy it thinking they "need" it. Unless your trackbar mount is flexing(very rare), you wont feel anything different.
Yeah, I don't know so much about the "no difference" part re the sector shaft brace. There seems to be quite a bit of flexing happening around that steering box mount to the frame. Hard to tell where the flex is happening, but it's definitely there. Once the brace is mounted and properly torqued, back off the torque on the bolt on the side of the brace furthest from the frame, start up your Jeep and have someone move the steering wheel around a bit, and carefully put your finger where you just slacked off the bolt, where it meets the OE metalwork, and you'll feel the movement. Brace stays put, but steering system moves. Sure, it's not a lot of flex, but when you have even tiny amounts of flex that high up in the steering system, it's only going to be amplified as you head down to the tie rod.

And this is on a 2020 JL, BTW, running the most recent steering box (with the part # ending in "E").

So, in my case, that sector shaft brace made a discernible difference and took a noticeable amount of slop out of the steering. I also added as much Synergy HD steering componentry as I could right now. Still waiting on the HD tie rod to replace the stock one, but it's on back order until at least the middle of June. The other thing that also made a massive difference to on-road handling was pushing the caster out to slightly north of 6º positive (on a 3.5 inch lift), and backing off the damping settings a bit on the ATS stabilizer. I found that setting the stabilizer stiffer resulted in it fighting the caster's inclination to return to steering to center, which was causing the vehicle to wander all over the lane on the freeway. It took a bit of testing over the same stretch of road over a few days, but basically I backed off the stabilizer stiffness to be just sufficient to counter any bump steer, and this, combined with the sector shaft brace, has made it a pleasure to drive now.
Sponsored