Sponsored

Metalcloak 2.5" lift needs drive shaft upgrade?

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S, Ducati 899
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting a Metal Cloak 2.5" lift. When getting some quotes for the install, two rather reputable shops had two different opinions on the drive shaft upgrade. One shop says it's a must, and according to MC, it's a must.
The other shop said they only recommend a drive shaft upgrade above 2.5".

Any good feedback is appreciated. I was hoping to save the $600 on a longer drive shaft.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting a Metal Cloak 2.5" lift. When getting some quotes for the install, two rather reputable shops had two different opinions on the drive shaft upgrade. One shop says it's a must, and according to MC, it's a must.

Any good feedback is appreciated. I was hoping to save the $600 on a longer drive shaft.
Lift height has nothing to do with it. It's about the droop in the front which is largely based on extended shock length. My shocks extend to 28.7" and I am bending the t case flange and barely tearing the rubber boot and am close to needing a driveshaft. Metalcloak rocksport shocks extend to 30". You will need a driveshaft if you plan on flexing it out wheelin...you're fine for mall crawlin and fire roads.

OP
OP
jntrees

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lift height has nothing to do with it. It's about the droop in the front which is largely based on extended shock length. My shocks extend to 28.7" and I am bending the t case flange and barely tearing the rubber boot and am close to needing a driveshaft. Metalcloak rocksport shocks extend to 30". You will need a driveshaft if you plan on flexing it out wheelin...you're fine for mall crawlin and fire roads.
Thanks man. Appreciate the advice.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

If you’re gonna wheel it , I would definitely get the driveshaft.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be wheeling it. I guess the choice is clear.
Yeah..... as @ChattVol mentioned, mc shocks are some of the longest extended length shocks. I guess if you wanted to you could wait until you need to change it, but you’ll be on borrowed time. MC uses the Adams driveshaft IIRC, and it’s easy enough to do later.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

As others have mentioned, any significant wheeling past fire roads, back roads and trails, you'll want the shaft. I'm mostly aiming at light-duty work, but I think I'll replace the shaft when the lift goes on.

OP
OP
jntrees

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All good advice. I'm surprised it was not recommended by the one shop who was adamant about adding a steering box brace and Teraflex steering stabilizer. Wouldn't do the lift without these items included.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Do some shopping. I was originally going to get the driveshaft that Metalcloak sells, but with some sales I got an Admas 1350 drive shaft for about $30 more than the Metalcloak one.

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah..... as @ChattVol mentioned, mc shocks are some of the longest extended length shocks. I guess if you wanted to you could wait until you need to change it, but you’ll be on borrowed time. MC uses the Adams driveshaft IIRC, and it’s easy enough to do later.
Metalcloak has their own 1310 driveshaft made.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'll be wheeling it. I guess the choice is clear.
Also bear in mind, the front Rocksport shocks will rub the frame near full droop if you dont get the MC outboard lower shock mount brackets that require wheel backspacing of 4.5 or less to clear. These shock brackets also sit about an inch higher than OEM lower shock mounts...this increases the droop a bit further.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Also bear in mind, the front Rocksport shocks will rub the frame near full droop if you dont get the MC outboard shock brackets that require wheel backspacing of 4.5 or less to clear. The shock brackets also sit about an inch higher than OEM lower shock mounts...this increases the droop a bit further.
the droop is nice :idea:

Rausch 5-24-2020.jpg

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
All good advice. I'm surprised it was not recommended by the one shop who was adamant about adding a steering box brace and Teraflex steering stabilizer. Wouldn't do the lift without these items included.
I'd skip the sector shaft/trackbar brace and save the $. Many people cant tell the difference after adding it and were simply sold by social media and seeing others buy it thinking they "need" it. Unless your trackbar mount is flexing(very rare), you wont feel anything different.

Reactions: J0E