MetalCloak 2.5" Kit Installed

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Although the shop had a lot of problems with the install, I finally got rid of my spring spacers and went full-on Metalcloak. Bought everything MC offers from a suspension and steering perspective and had a local shop install.

jeep.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looks great, I love my Metalcloak lift. Curious what the shop had problems with.
The first problem was with a rear control arm that was messed up, but MC quickly overnighted a new one to the shop to get them back on track. The second problem was that they put an inexperienced technician on the job. The two-day job ended up taking two weeks.

They called me one day to finally pick up, but it was before the test drive(s). Unfortunately, when I got up to Louisville, they called and said it had death wobble and I couldn't have it. Note that it takes me a good 45 minutes to get to the shop. I went back home.

The next day, they said it was ready. Picked it up, drove home but the alignment was way off. Front tires were toed out and in order to drive straight, I had to keep the wheel at about 10 o'clock. I called, complained, and drove it back the next morning.

The next morning, I spent about 4 hours inside the shop, sitting at a cocktail table, while they put a new technician on the job to fix everything. Finally got to take it home.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wow!!! 2 weeks??? glad all is good now
Yeah, dropped it off late one Sunday night via key drop. The final pickup was the NEXT Friday.

I had them put the front driveshaft on as well. This was only two weeks ago, so I've not taken it offroad yet to play around.

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
how much bump stop did they put in the rear? I could be wrong but in that picture with the rear tire lifted that high I would think it would tuck in a lot more than that.

that shop should not have put an inexperienced tech. on such a big job without someone watching over his shoulder.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's only a single bump stop on it now, unsure what it was when they took that picture. I also know he said the swaybar was connected on the picture as well so they probably stopped when the front tire was coming off the ground, I'm guessing.

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Wow...that looks great!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
What did they quote in labor for install?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow...that looks great!
Thanks. I've spent way too much money on the Jeep lately, haha

What did they quote in labor for install?
So, what they quoted, what they charged me, and what I ended up paying are three completely different numbers, haha. They quoted me like $1050 plus $89 for alignment.

When they actually charged me, it was just short of $1600, which I, of course, refuted based on the quote I got.

What I spent included the quoted amount minus $ for all the problems and delays. They were completely fair and I wasn't looking to *not* pay for them for the end result.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks. I've spent way too much money on the Jeep lately, haha

So, what they quoted, what they charged me, and what I ended up paying are three completely different numbers, haha. They quoted me like $1050 plus $89 for alignment.

When they actually charged me, it was just short of $1600, which I, of course, refuted based on the quote I got.

What I spent included the quoted amount minus $ for all the problems and delays. They were completely fair and I wasn't looking to *not* pay for them for the end result.
Copy thank you for the response

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
OP, that looks great! I too have the MC GC 2.5" installed and cannot wait to get it off pavement to test capabilities. I will share that I am not a mechanic but I installed the kit by myself, followed directions, leveraged YouTube, and the install took me two days. I was very careful to measure each component before and two-to-three times during and after install and took it in for an alignment at my local Jeep dealership. On the drive, i felt no wobble or alignment issues. The dealership let me know that other than the axles being slightly off center, my alignment was right on and didn't charge me anything because the tech aligned the front and rear track bars in less than 15 minutes.

Please keep us up to date as i would love to see some action pics when you get it off pavement!

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited: