Sponsored

Metalcloak 2.5" and wheel offset

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am looking to buy a Metalcloak 2.5" lift with rocksport shocks and have been debating on the wheels to pair with it.

My understanding is that at full droop the shocks will contact the frame so Metalcloak includes outboard shock mounts. However, they say the shock mounts require 4.5" backspacing. I was really hoping to keep the tires more tucked in than that.

Has anyone run the MetalCloak 2.5" lift and Rocksports without the outboard shock mounts? Any ill effects at full flex?

Or, has anyone run the outboard shock mounts with more backspacing than 4.5" with a Rubicon?
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah somebody on here just yesterday said they were running without the front MC mounts.

Although my understanding is that the issue is actually with the rear sway bar mounts, and that's easily handled

I'd get everything you want then address issues if they pop up. None will be insurmountable

OP
OP

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah somebody on here just yesterday said they were running without the front MC mounts.

Although my understanding is that the issue is actually with the rear sway bar mounts, and that's easily handled

I'd get everything you want then address issues if they pop up. None will be insurmountable
I *think* the backspacing option on the Metalcloak webpage is for the sway bar mounts. Not sure if it actually changes anything else about the kit.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I *think* the backspacing option on the Metalcloak webpage is for the sway bar mounts. Not sure if it actually changes anything else about the kit.
That's what they told me when I called, supposedly spacers vs longer links for the rear sway bar, but my kit came with small-ish (1"?) spacers and longer links so I dunno what option B is....huge spacers I guess

Rustyshakelford has showed how to just mount the rear links inboard vs outboard so none of this really matters UNLESS you're gonna move the lower eye of the rear shocks up....'cause then they want to occupy the same space

CloakedWillys

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales and tech support for MetalCloak
has anyone run the outboard shock mounts with more backspacing than 4.5" with a Rubicon?
Thank you for looking into our kits. We have had some customers with Rubicons run a 5" backspace with the outboard kits and no issues. The non Rubicons need to watch the 4.5" to clear the front mounts.

Rustyshakelford has showed how to just mount the rear links inboard vs outboard so none of this really matters UNLESS you're gonna move the lower eye of the rear shocks up....'cause then they want to occupy the same space
I have actually talked to him about this due to the links hitting on the frame when installed that way. They are designed to be on the outside of the sway bar like the factory installed them.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thank you for looking into our kits. We have had some customers with Rubicons run a 5" backspace with the outboard kits and no issues. The non Rubicons need to watch the 4.5" to clear the front mounts.

I have actually talked to him about this due to the links hitting on the frame when installed that way. They are designed to be on the outside of the sway bar like the factory installed them.
Yup. Works but you may have some contact on the frame. On mine it rubs slightly. That said, the outboard method is preferred and suggested.

Brett

OP
OP

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That's great news to me. I haven't seen any wheels I love with 4.5" backspacing but found a few with 4.75" that I do like.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
What would need to be done to run 5.2" backspace wheels with the Metalcloak kits on a Rubicon? I have 5.2" 17x8.5 Quadratec wheels
Thanks

CloakedWillys

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sales and tech support for MetalCloak
What would need to be done to run 5.2" backspace wheels with the Metalcloak kits on a Rubicon? I have 5.2" 17x8.5 Quadratec wheels
Thanks
Might really depend on the tire as to what would rub.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Might really depend on the tire as to what would rub.
Guess itā€™d be trial and error then. Currently Iā€™m running 285/75-17 with eventual hopes of a 35x12.5 or 37x12.5
Sponsored