First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Hi all, after much research and consideration of comments here on this forum I went with the Metal Cloak 2.5 GC Rocksport edition. I am very satisfied with the ride and more than satisfied with the quality of the components. I had the kit installed by a MC installer in Durango, Co. I couldn’t be happier!
Sponsored

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
I was torn between the RK and MC. In the end I went with MC predominately due to the bushings/Joints used. Up here in AK the winters and treated roads can be brutal on components. I may be wrong but I feel like the MC bushings will be lower maintenance and will lend better to the corrosive conditions.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Hi all, after much research and consideration of comments here on this forum I went with the Metal Cloak 2.5 GC Rocksport edition. I am very satisfied with the ride and more than satisfied with the quality of the components. I had the kit installed by a MC installer in Durango, Co. I couldn’t be happier!
Pics or it didn't happen! Sorry, rules is rules... ;)

Last edited:

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Pics or it didn't happen! Sorry, rules it rules...
I am in Phoenix and my jlur is back home in Colorado. The photo doesn’t show any MC components. The tires are 315’s. I can take some pictures of the undercarriage when I return home on the 21st. Cheers

C0174294-7F13-47E5-A4F0-F90143BE29DE.jpeg

Sponsored

Cornfed

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sport (totaled). 2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician Ibew
Metal Cloak all the way. I've heard nothing but good about Metal Cloak, so I went with the 3.5 Game Changer. What I have heard is Teraflex rides incredibly harsh. And people have quality issues.

c_oc=AQlXmeF2je4lAYDIhF1S1H425gg6cllukMmR4ehDiwviaraKs8S3WIAa9ThjW_VK5gU&_nc_ht=scontent.fboi1-1.jpg

c_oc=AQmL4QZ37PuagCOGsN9yxOJNfn5OPMWdXHsKVjg5eBjvCd76VJOSBgsh45J2pA0v-5Y&_nc_ht=scontent.fboi1-1.jpg
I know this is an old post but did you upgrade your driveshaft with this kit?

Cornfed

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician Ibew
That’s correct. You’d use for bumpstops to limit the flex which would reduce the need for the driveshaft. When the drivers side drops down the driveshaft rubs on the crossmember. The aftermarkets are narrower and stronger. The control arms won’t limit droop in this case

Brett
If I got the 3.5 kit purely for looks and on road manners as I won’t be wheeling my rubi until it’s paid off, what could I do to keep my factory shaft in good shape or is their another lift you would recommend for a daily driver? I’ve currently got the rc spacer track bar and lcas with Bilstein shocks and 37s

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
223419.jpg

MetalCloak 2.5" lift installed.

First impressions are that it's solid.

Trail Jeep's install looks very professional and clean with excellent attention to detail. So far it drives like it did stock to be honest. A bit more firm, but not much. Love the ride and it's not too tall. From the pinch seam I measure 21" front and 21.5" rear. No regrets.

The steering was fine before, but now it's more solid. Steer Smarts bits were recommended and I'm very happy that I got them. It's got no shimmy and feels very good even driving washboards and rounding corners with expansion cracks mid turn. Nothing upsets it so far. Awesome.

I'll get some more trail time in and follow up, but at the moment I really like the MC 2.5" lift.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old post but did you upgrade your driveshaft with this kit?
I needed too. I thought I could get away with not replacing it. NOPE. I thought, "Well I'm not really flexing out at max" - didnt' matter. Maybe if I just drove around town. But the simple forest roads around here and some rocks was all it took to damage the boots on the factory driveshaft. I have an Adam's now.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
If I got the 3.5 kit purely for looks and on road manners as I won’t be wheeling my rubi until it’s paid off, what could I do to keep my factory shaft in good shape or is their another lift you would recommend for a daily driver? I’ve currently got the rc spacer track bar and lcas with Bilstein shocks and 37s
Just inspect it. It didn't happen to me till I went out on one road where there was a spot I flexed a bit on. But two weeks around town, no issues.

I think around town you'd actually be fine. You can also do the lift and then flex it in the driveway to test and set bump stops accordingly. Very easy test to do, just need two jacks and some stands.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I think you can’t go wrong with the 3.5 MC. For the drive shaft if you wheel it’s pretty dang important as the stock one will get damaged. If you’re just sticking to the streets I’d venture a guess that you would be fine. However, I’d suggest setting aside a little money to replace it at some point. Just cheap insurance is the way we look at it

Brett

Cornfed

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician Ibew
Just inspect it. It didn't happen to me till I went out on one road where there was a spot I flexed a bit on. But two weeks around town, no issues.

I think around town you'd actually be fine. You can also do the lift and then flex it in the driveway to test and set bump stops accordingly. Very easy test to do, just need two jacks and some stands.
Nice! I appreciate your help. I think I’d probably go with the 2.5 kit either way I guess since it would probably net me about 3”. I’ve got Bilstein shocks on it now do you think the rocksports would be an upgrade on road or no?

Cornfed

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician Ibew
I think you can’t go wrong with the 3.5 MC. For the drive shaft if you wheel it’s pretty dang important as the stock one will get damaged. If you’re just sticking to the streets I’d venture a guess that you would be fine. However, I’d suggest setting aside a little money to replace it at some point. Just cheap insurance is the way we look at it

Brett
Thanks man I thinks it’s awesome how helpful you are on here. Where I live there’s no place to do any real off-roading and thus there’s not much in the way of shops that specialize in any of it. It took me a week to find a damn shop that could align with my 37s and such. If I went with either of the mc kits but used my Bilstein shocks or went with the rocksports and just maxed out the bumpstops for now do you think I’d be good?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thanks man I thinks it’s awesome how helpful you are on here. Where I live there’s no place to do any real off-roading and thus there’s not much in the way of shops that specialize in any of it. It took me a week to find a damn shop that could align with my 37s and such. If I went with either of the mc kits but used my Bilstein shocks or went with the rocksports and just maxed out the bumpstops for now do you think I’d be good?
Spend the extra couple hundred and get the rocksports. I love them. They are $276 a set. The game changer and true dual comes with outboard shock mounts to maximize articulation.

I’m glad to be apart of the board, lots of great folks and get to see what all everyone comes up with for their personal builds! We have our own alignment machine but I don’t advertise about it like I could. We just like to make sure what we turn out is 100% and not rely on someone else to dial it in.

Brett

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the same boat. Are there any drive shaft issues with the 2.5 lift either MC or RK on a 2dr Sport?
Sponsored