Sponsored

Metalcloak 2 1/2” GC on 2 door sport anyone?

Briarsmoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Ram
I’m considering the MC 2 1/2” gamechanger with rocksports on my 2 door sport S, planning to run 35’s. Is anyone running this combo? Most gamechanger lifts I see are On 4 doors and almost all are on rubicons, not seeing any info on 2 door jl sports. Wondering about stock sport fender clearance with that extra flex, overall height (it’s a lightweight rig and will stay that way, not going to throw a ton of heavy stuff on it), and overall balance (both visually and mechanically) on the lighter smaller sport. Is the ride good considering the lighter load? Any pics would be helpful.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’m considering the MC 2 1/2” gamechanger with rocksports on my 2 door sport S, planning to run 35’s. Is anyone running this combo? Most gamechanger lifts I see are On 4 doors and almost all are on rubicons, not seeing any info on 2 door jl sports. Wondering about stock sport fender clearance with that extra flex, overall height (it’s a lightweight rig and will stay that way, not going to throw a ton of heavy stuff on it), and overall balance (both visually and mechanically) on the lighter smaller sport. Is the ride good considering the lighter load? Any pics would be helpful.
We have two, two doors booked but they are getting the 3.5” GC and both are rubicons. However, you’ll easily be able to stuff 35s. Be sure to test it out and add the appropriate amount of bumpstop when you’re done.

I think the ride will be fine and if you decided to add weight down the road it’ll support it well. Any reason for the 2.5 over the 3.5?

brett

OP
OP

Briarsmoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Ram
2.5 is what metalcloak suggested to me given the fact I know I don’t want to go any bigger than 35’s (m200 and m186 axles, it’s a sport not a rubicon and I’m not interested in having to swap axles out on a new vehicle). I’ll regear to 4.56 and put an elocker in the rear. I’m going to use this wrangler as a retirement vehicle for running forest service roads to fishing and camping spots, won’t be seeking out any rock crawling. I just want a good handling modest lift and my build will be fairly light and conservative overall. My concern is lift height (will it still fit in the garage), will it articulate so much I’ll have issues with the stock fenders, and given the lighter weight will the rocksports be a smooth ride or should I go with an adjustable shock?

selawik

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 Door
Interested as well if anyone fits the bill and chimes in. :like:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.5 is what metalcloak suggested to me given the fact I know I don’t want to go any bigger than 35’s (m200 and m186 axles, it’s a sport not a rubicon and I’m not interested in having to swap axles out on a new vehicle). I’ll regear to 4.56 and put an elocker in the rear. I’m going to use this wrangler as a retirement vehicle for running forest service roads to fishing and camping spots, won’t be seeking out any rock crawling. I just want a good handling modest lift and my build will be fairly light and conservative overall. My concern is lift height (will it still fit in the garage), will it articulate so much I’ll have issues with the stock fenders, and given the lighter weight will the rocksports be a smooth ride or should I go with an adjustable shock?
for gears and 35s, I’d go with 4.88. I can measure the one in the shop when it’s done and get you lift height but itll be a few days as it’s torn apart awaiting gears. It will articulate more than nearly any other lift on the market but the bump stops being set correctly is what keeps the tires out of the fenders. For the best ride, some adj custom valved shocks will be a huge upgrade. Some fox race ready 2.5 off the shelf are a good addition to the JLU. With your JL, some custom shocks that are valved for a 2dr would really give you a nice ride. You can spend $276 on rocksports or 3k and up along with anything in between, kind of a mild to wild range.

brett

Sponsored

OP
OP

Briarsmoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Ram
Well I’ll answer my own question here in case anyone was following this or wondering the same thing.

The 2 1/2 inch game changer lift with 35’s and rocksports is perfect for the 2 door Jl sport. Obviously it remains to be seen how the stock sport axles hold up and I’d imagine that will depend on how you drive it. The lift sets the jeep at the perfect height (imho) and the lift is adjusted for travel with the bumpstops so no fender clearance issues. Took it down a dirt road with some considerable ruts and holes and intentionally flexed it pretty deeply, no problems. The jeep is considerably taller, just fits in my garage with only a couple inches to spare. The rocksports are a little stiff but today I had the wife and 2 teenage kids in the jeep and the added weight seriously smoothed the ride out. My rig it quite lightweight and once I get steel bumpers and a winch mounted it should be great with only a driver in the vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak 2 1/2” GC on 2 door sport anyone? 972E7517-B8EA-492C-9310-B78C2B3B0FAA
Jeep Wrangler JL Metalcloak 2 1/2” GC on 2 door sport anyone? D7CD9AA6-A7F5-4DD3-8E7C-88A5AFAB18AF

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Well I was going to pipe in with a go for it, but you already did. :fist bump:

Love my Jeep. The MetalCloak 2.5" was just right for me as well. I do want some adjustable shocks but have not found the right fit for me yet.

Enjoy your ride!

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
wha
for gears and 35s, I’d go with 4.88. I can measure the one in the shop when it’s done and get you lift height but itll be a few days as it’s torn apart awaiting gears. It will articulate more than nearly any other lift on the market but the bump stops being set correctly is what keeps the tires out of the fenders. For the best ride, some adj custom valved shocks will be a huge upgrade. Some fox race ready 2.5 off the shelf are a good addition to the JLU. With your JL, some custom shocks that are valved for a 2dr would really give you a nice ride. You can spend $276 on rocksports or 3k and up along with anything in between, kind of a mild to wild range.

brett
I want to maintain a low center of gravty build, what shocks would you recomend for swapping in on my sport ?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wha

I want to maintain a low center of gravty build, what shocks would you recomend for swapping in on my sport ?
Your budget and more importantly the anticipated uses really dictate that more than anything. The 6 paks are not slouch either

brett
Sponsored