Metalcloak’s front diff skid sneak peek

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here is a sneak peek at Mealcloak’s front diff skid plate. I saw them at the Jeepers Jamboree rubicon trail. They also have some cool tube doors but I didn’t get any pictures of that. Sorry.
F45C280A-5010-46AD-85BF-21C3FD47CCA4.jpeg
579A64D3-4201-4336-BE44-88E613A25C13.jpeg
Sponsored

clobato

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392
Nice! I’ve been waiting to see if someone got a peak of this!

I’m a little curious if the production versions will use some sort of flush mounted bolts for the three bolts that secure the skid. It looks like those bolts have been scraped up pretty good already and may become a difficult to get off in the future.

I’m also curious to see if they release a matching rear diff cover.

WheezysJL

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Will you have to run their front diff cover in order to use the skid? I just ordered the motobilt diff covers......

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
This is really disappointing, i like my Motobuilt dif covers. Don’t want to scrap the front.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
My only concern is that bottom bolt. I'd be worried a hard hit right in the middle of the skid plate could shear that bolt.

I'd also be interested in knowing how closely their diff cover matches the interior profile of the stock diff cover. Gale Banks, widely know in the diesel truck world, did a short youtube series on aftermarket diff covers showing that not all diff covers are created equal. Something to consider when going aftermarket.

CloakedWillys

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL 2.0T Sport S
Occupation
Sales and tech support for MetalCloak
Thanks guys, As was stated that is a prototype and will see a few changes before release. The hardware most likely will be one of them.
The inside of the cover is rounded close to the stock one, Gale was mainly making comments about the ones that are squared off on the bottom affecting oil flow.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
This is really disappointing, i like my Motobuilt dif covers. Don’t want to scrap the front.
I'm with you. I have MC's rear diff skid plate and was hoping for a front that would be compatible with the stock differential cover. MetalCloak knows more about this than I do, but I don't see why the same can't be accomplished for a front skid plate.

I may have to steer myself to the Rancho for the front. I'd prefer matching covers, but ah, well.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Well, it appears that I will be staying with my Rancho front and rear diff skids.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I wish the MC prototype had a less abrupt angle at the front lower lip to help it slide better over rocks. Although the Rancho may not look the best, it seems like it would slide over obstacles better that the MC skid.
wewRj4U.jpg

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I wish the MC prototype had a less abrupt angle at the front lower lip to help it slide better over rocks. Although the Rancho may not look the best, it seems like it would slide over obstacles better that the MC skid.
wewRj4U.jpg
While a giant ski looks like a good idea, I'd bet $20 bucks that thing smacks rocks at a faster pace than the MC design.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
While a giant ski looks like a good idea, I'd bet $20 bucks that thing smacks rocks at a faster pace than the MC design.
I dont have a dog in this race. I think the Rancho reduces ground clearance by 3/4" and not sure about the MC. I'd double or nothing bet you the diff cover below slides over rocks alot worse than that giant ski.
7PxqPW0.jpg

WheezysJL

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have motobilt diff covers and the rear metalcloak skid.
Hope you come up with a design that works for all diff covers not just yours.
your rear skid is a piece of art and works great!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I dont have a dog in this race. I think the Rancho reduces ground clearance by 3/4" and not sure about the MC. I'd double or nothing bet you the diff cover below slides over rocks alot worse than that giant ski.
7PxqPW0.jpg
What was the name of the evil K.I.T.T.?

If he were a Wrangler this would totally be his style. Damnit now I want to be able to talk to my JL through my watch....and inexplicably jump things by pushing "turboboost". Maybe Tazer can add that...

Wait, what were we talking about?

And does anybody else hear the theme song? Dun nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh, dun nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh....

Oh nevermind I'm going to sleep
Sponsored