Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
But overall they are great, lights have been 100% reliable, very bright and haven't turned yellow at all. More than I can say for the AAL high-lines.

WaX
Awesome thanks! That’s exactly what I have on now and they are almost completely yellow
I installed my 1st pair of AAL highline lights back in April 2020. They were the original version, and the lenses began to yellow within a couple of months. Although I rarely wash my Jeep, and work in a yard that is either dust or mud, the yellow leading to brownish lenses sorta looked like shit.

After a tree branch jumped out and whacked the driver side light, a few diodes went out and a few more were sporadically flickering, which drew more attention to the dingy looking lenses. I replaced both sides with the latest version that had a couple of changes. They have a "chaser" turn signal pattern vs the previous sequential pattern, and the lenses were upgraded to prevent discoloration. So far, after a year plus of life on an unwashed Jeep, they are still as white as the day I installed them.

Just thought that was worth mentioning, so anyone reading this will know that yellowing is no longer an issue with the American Adventure Labs highline fender lights.

A couple of months after installation...
Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? 20210920_101400_resized

Over a year after installation...
Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? 20230307_100700_resized
Sponsored

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I have the Motobilts, and I'm happy with them. They weigh like 3x what they probably need to but whatever. If I ever got close enough to hitting them, I figure I'm probably fucked anyway.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? 1678273833024

Those are some of the best looking ones out there IMO

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
I installed my 1st pair of AAL highline lights back in April 2020. They were the original version, and the lenses began to yellow within a couple of months. Although I rarely wash my Jeep, and work in a yard that is either dust or mud, the yellow leading to brownish lenses sorta looked like shit.

After a tree branch jumped out and whacked the driver side light, a few diodes went out and a few more were sporadically flickering, which drew more attention to the dingy looking lenses. I replaced both sides with the latest version that had a couple of changes. They have a "chaser" turn signal pattern vs the previous sequential pattern, and the lenses were upgraded to prevent discoloration. So far, after a year plus of life on an unwashed Jeep, they are still as white as the day I installed them.

Just thought that was worth mentioning, so anyone reading this will know that yellowing is no longer an issue with the American Adventure Labs highline fender lights.

A couple of months after installation...

Over a year after installation...
When exactly did you replace lights? I replaced mine like a year ago with the same upgrades and one still have turned yellow but maybe not as bad as the pair before

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I put GenRight aluminum fender flares on a prior Jeep and definitely regretted them. They looked good and held up fine, but they did not cover the tires adequately. The minimalist fender flares may work if you live someplace like California, where weather is generallly good and mud is minimal. Or if your Jeep spends most of its time on pavement, and rarely sees sloppy conditions because of that. But they don't work if you frequently go four wheeling in sloppy conditions. I go four wheeling about once a week and I immediately got tired of always having a filthy Jeep. One tiny little puddle and it looks like you have been slogging through the slop all day long. I hated those fender flares on that Jeep. And I haven't installed a set of minimalist fender flares on any of the Jeeps I've owned since. No thanks, I'll pass on that one.

Sponsored

KFraser

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL , 2021 JT
Anyone install metal or steel fender flares and then regret doing so later?
I wouldn’t recommend aftermarket flares, metal or plastic.
Two years ago my wife took her JLU to the shop and had Fishbone metal fender flares installed.
They were nothing but trouble from the start. They had proprietary blinker/running lights that were junk, stopped working a week after installing. Took 4 months and a hundred emails before Fishbone would send replacements, and the replacements died in 2 weeks. Another 2 months before we got another replacement set, which also crapped out after two weeks.
We gave up and just drove it, but after one winter they were covered with rust spots where the powder coat bubbled off.
About $700 invested and put them in the scrap bin a year later. I guess on the plus side they took a couple tree collisions and they didn’t show any damage at all.
Last year I replaced them with a set of the Rugged Ridge max plastic flares. They are a little floppy and don’t fit as tight as I would like but they have taken some serious hits and the only damage that is showing is the passenger side Drl/ blinker is cracked. The signals still work but the Drls don’t. I can not find a replacement for the light. This seems to be a common issue with aftermarket flares.
I have seen some quick removable flares on JKs that I would buy, but no one makes them for JLs.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I put GenRight aluminum fender flares on a prior Jeep and definitely regretted them. They looked good and held up fine, but they did not cover the tires adequately. The minimalist fender flares may work if you live someplace like California, where weather is generallly good and mud is minimal. Or if your Jeep spends most of its time on pavement, and rarely sees sloppy conditions because of that. But they don't work if you frequently go four wheeling in sloppy conditions. I go four wheeling about once a week and I immediately got tired of always having a filthy Jeep. One tiny little puddle and it looks like you have been slogging through the slop all day long. I hated those fender flares on that Jeep. And I haven't installed a set of minimalist fender flares on any of the Jeeps I've owned since. No thanks, I'll pass on that one.
I live in So Cal and I avoid what little rain/mud/snow we get. I’ve wheeled in it before and it is fun but not worrh the clean up for this OCD Jeeper.

IdahoGem

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2 door 1972 Challenger 440
Vehicle Showcase
I have no regrets with the metal fenders. I hated the trap point on the stock plastic fenders where they met the body. The one thing I was kind of surprised by was the weight. I don't think it is a big deal for me but looking at them on other jeeps before buying them they didn't appear to be as heavy as they are. Another factor for me was keeping fairly good coverage over the tires (37's). I am running the stock wheels and I like the way they still cover. I am not a fan of the tires sticking out more than an inch or two beyond the fenders.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? Fenders 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? fenders

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
When exactly did you replace lights? I replaced mine like a year ago with the same upgrades and one still have turned yellow but maybe not as bad as the pair before
I took delivery around late July or early August of last year.

AppleJacks23

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
I have no regrets with the metal fenders. I hated the trap point on the stock plastic fenders where they met the body. The one thing I was kind of surprised by was the weight. I don't think it is a big deal for me but looking at them on other jeeps before buying them they didn't appear to be as heavy as they are. Another factor for me was keeping fairly good coverage over the tires (37's). I am running the stock wheels and I like the way they still cover. I am not a fan of the tires sticking out more than an inch or two beyond the fenders.

What flares and lights are those?

Sponsored

IdahoGem

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2 door 1972 Challenger 440
Vehicle Showcase
What flares and lights are those?
Trailtech, the lights are just part of the kit. by the way I do love the lights. They are white light most of the time but when you hit the blinker the turn orange and blink.

DHartlein

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Firecracker Red Rubicon JLU, 23 White Sport JLU

Those look nice! What are they?

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Those look nice! What are they?
These look like fabtech. They were one of the first to hit the market. And honestly, best looking of the whole damn bunch imho. If these were made in aluminum I’d be all over it.