First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Anyone install metal or steel fender flares and then regret doing so later?

I know the plastic ones, both factory and aftermarket, are designed to mount with plastic pins and pop off if you bump something. The metal ones that I have seen are all bolted solid to the tub. I prefer the looks of the metal ones on the market over the plastic ones, but I am concerned that if I bump a rock or a tree I will damage not only the flare, but the tub they are bolted to. On the other hand, I know a person with metal fenders on her TJ and she has flopped and even rolled it and the fenders actually held up great and probably protected the tub from any real damage.

Would just like to hear from folks that have bolted on metal fenders and what kind of issues they may have had.

Thank you
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
A consideration for me was offset/poke and coverage. With low offset (+18mm) I don’t have enough tire poke to protect the fenders with stockish coverage. I went plastic because of that. If we were good with reducing coverage enough for the tire to provide protection, metal would be higher on the list.

Another option is KBD poly’s that can flex.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
All your concerns over steel fenders are valid, in most impacts you will transfer that force into the body panels and the JLs are thin and easily dented.

If you wheel in rocks and trees, I'd go plastic, cheaper and very easy to replace cheaply.

WaX

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
This was a consideration of mine as well. I do a lot of driving in NYC and don't want to be tagged by a car or delivery truck and have to worry about bent body panels. The KBD polyurethane flares are perfect. I probably don't have to worry about tires rubbing at full flex on the stock suspension when I eventually go to a bigger tire.

Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Here is an old before and after of the KBD's

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? 20220908_195254

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? 20220908_195254
How much lift are you running, Wax? I keep looking at the KBD’s… can’t make up my mind.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I know a person with metal fenders on her TJ and she has flopped and even rolled it and the fenders actually held up great and probably protected the tub from any real damage.
TJ front tube fenders replaced the existing metal where today it's metal flares using the same mount point the plastic flares use.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
Here is an old before and after of the KBD's

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? 20221023_180757

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? 20221023_180757
Pretty sure (IMO) those are the best looking plastic fenders available.

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
TJ front tube fenders replaced the existing metal where today it's metal flares using the same mount point the plastic flares use.
Great point.

Sponsored

The Chubbernaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Substance Abuse Counselor
Clubs

This is something I've been wondering as well. As much as I would like to replace the fenders for better clearance, I really dislike the look of thin or minimalist aftermarket flares.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If you are going for tire coverage, plastic is probably the better option as contact with obstacles is likely. If you're running a minimal fender and a bunch of tire poke, I say go with whichever fender look you like the most. You'd have to try pretty hard to get into the fender and not the body at that point. Some budget steel fenders off amazon. The 38s did a great job of keeping the fenders off obstacles through dozens of trails including the Rubicon trail. Even the stock plastic fenders are bolted on and rigid enough to bend the fenders up front if you're bashing them into obstacles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Metal/Steel Fender Flare Regrets???? 20220624_111249

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How do you like the fenders so far?
I have no complaints at all, they have been on since early September 2022, and been through all of Moab and Colorado. Tomorrow when sun is up, I'll send some better unwashed pictures, so you can see the plastic condition.

But overall they are great, lights have been 100% reliable, very bright and haven't turned yellow at all. More than I can say for the AAL high-lines.

WaX

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
I have no complaints at all, they have been on since early September 2022, and been through all of Moab and Colorado. Tomorrow when sun is up, I'll send some better unwashed pictures, so you can see the plastic condition.

But overall they are great, lights have been 100% reliable, very bright and haven't turned yellow at all. More than I can say for the AAL high-lines.

WaX
Awesome thanks! That’s exactly what I have on now and they are almost completely yellow
Sponsored