Sponsored

metal-on-metal grinding noises when turning in 4Low

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
2021 JLU Willys Diesel, approx 4K miles on it.

got a horrible grinding noise the first time i reversed in 4Lo, then never again.

however, now when turning in 4Low, any steering input more than about half-way from straight-ahead to full lock results in metal-on-metal grinding noises reminiscent of rubbing the cut edges of 2 galvanized trash cans against each other. sound seems to be emmanating from the front end, but could possibly be coming from somewhere around the transfer case; it's hard to tell for certain while in the J**p making it happen.

no noises steering to full lock in 2 or 4 Hi and no noises forward or backward in 4Lo unless turning.

this is not my first J**p and not my first experience with 4WD. this is definitely not just tire hop related to driveline bind, and something i'm seeing on loose dirt, not something i'm doing on hard surfaces like pavement, concrete or slickrock.

i have my suspicions and guess as to what might be the cause, but does this sound like anything anyone in the collective has dealt with (and hopefully solved)?

(yes, this is why i recommend that anyone buying a new J**p make sure they have another vehicle around for a while while they work out the kinks...)
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I'm getting the same. Very intermittent. Only in 4L. Frustrating.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Is it the FAD? Can you get your jeep up on jackstands and replicate the noise?

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I get that whenever I get "technical" in the back country. As best I can tell, that's the sound of brake lock differential over-thinking the matter at hand. (Whenever I get a wheel in the air, I get that noise in spades until I get all four wheels on the ground and the steering wheel somewhat straight again.)

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly