First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
When doing a gear swap is there anything that can be or should be done about this inside the differential housing while you’re in there? Apart from surface cleaning everything?
Not really. Just clean everything as you normally would with any component; nothing specific.
Sponsored

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
Not really. Just clean everything as you normally would with any component; nothing specific.
I might be wrong doing this, but I've never had issues and I use brake clean. I make sure to be careful but I spray a half can in and all around till its spotless then I squirt a bit of oil in and round the gears then bolt the cover back on and fill her up the rest of the way. I make sure to get any debris from the hard to reach spots in the back etc as well by spraying the brake clean back there and it flushes it out

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So I guess Dana has quality issues then. I am just surprised that anyone would call the amount and size of metal clippings in the differential housing normal.
My 2021 JLUR with 200 km is waiting for a new front axle assembly. Shavings were found in the oil as well.

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Closing the loop on this. I dropped the Jeep off on 3/8 at a dealer who said that they could look at it next day. Well, it took them a week to even pull it in the shop, but that's another story. I was notified today it was ready and picked it up. The dealer says they popped the cover off, pulled out the carrier and inspected the bearings and gears. They sent pictures to Chrysler. Dealer tech said everything looked OK and no damage. The metal was, as I expected, machining debris. Chrysler had them clean everything and reassemble. Jeep is back home now and at least it's documented that there was an issue.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
the good thing about the whole story is you changed the gear oil to begin with. by doing that, and finding / removing the shavings, you probably added 10 years to the life of the axle.
Sponsored