Metal machining debris in axle housing

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I changed the gear oil in the axles today in my '20 JLUR Recon with almost exactly 7K on the odometer. I wanted to change it now to get any break-in metal cleared out and then should be good for a while. The back one was a little dirty, but nothing special and went smoothly. The front, however, not so good. The oil looked more clear coming out, but the drain plug magnet had a lot of material on it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Metal machining debris in axle housing IMG_20210306_143845500

As the oil continued draining I noticed things hanging out of the hole. This is what I found ( top center of picture shows metal cuttings)
Jeep Wrangler JL Metal machining debris in axle housing IMG_20210306_170622401

So guess it's off to the dealer Monday. Not very happy about this. But I am glad I decided to change the oil early.
Any one else experienced this with their front diff? If so, did they just clean it out and send you on your way, or did they swap out parts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I changed the gear oil in the axles today in my '20 JLUR Recon with almost exactly 7K on the odometer. I wanted to change it now to get any break-in metal cleared out and then should be good for a while. The back one was a little dirty, but nothing special and went smoothly. The front, however, not so good. The oil looked more clear coming out, but the drain plug magnet had a lot of material on it.

As the oil continued draining I noticed things hanging out of the hole. This is what I found.

So guess it's off to the dealer Monday. Not very happy about this. But I am glad I decided to change the oil early.
Any one else experienced this with their front diff? If so, did they just clean it out and send you on your way, or did they swap out parts?
That is quite a bit of metal, and not just break in shavings. Large pieces like that are not normal, that is going to need repairs or replacement.
I also did the differentials and transfer case recently on my 2019 JLUR, at about the same mileage, 4232 on the odometer and another 1967 miles towed behind my motor home. Like yours the rear was what you would expect at 6200 miles, just slightly dark and a fine fuzz coating of metal on the magnet. However the front was very black and a heaping pile of fine metal on the magnet (pic attached). The amount of oil that came out seemed low, although I did not measure it. I will be doing these again in a couple thousand miles.

IMG-2883.jpg

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Called the dealer this morning to see about getting this looked at. Was told that if it wasn't making noise, they may not do anything about it. Really? Big metal chips floating around in the differential getting in the gears, the e-locker, and bearings, and if it doesn't make noise, you won't do anything about it? Yeah, I don't think that's going to work for me. Going to try another dealer that is about 30 minutes away.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Called the dealer this morning to see about getting this looked at. Was told that if it wasn't making noise, they may not do anything about it. Really? Big metal chips floating around in the differential getting in the gears, the e-locker, and bearings, and if it doesn't make noise, you won't do anything about it? Yeah, I don't think that's going to work for me. Going to try another dealer that is about 30 minutes away.
This is completely normal. That's why the magnet is in there.

There is nothing they can do.

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
This is completely normal. That's why the magnet is in there.

There is nothing they can do.
I know for a fact that metal of that size and volume is not normal. It's enough in volume and size that not all of it is stuck to the magnet as I could feel more of it inside the housing through the drain hole. The magnet is there to collect the fine, powder like, wear metal from the gears. This is not wear metal.

Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I know for a fact that metal of that size and volume is not normal. It's enough in volume and size that not all of it is stuck to the magnet as I could feel more of it inside the housing through the drain hole. The magnet is there to collect the fine, powder like, wear metal from the gears. This is not wear metal.
Exactly, I agree. If you can't find a dealer willing to at least remove the cover and take a look, then I would do it myself and look closely for signs of abnormal wear. Maybe pictures of that will get their attention.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Yes... it is. This is all from the machining of the housing. They don't get washed out very well when they're machined originally at DANA's facility.

There is nothing wrong with your axle. Clean what you can out of it, service it, and keep going.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Exactly, I agree. If you can't find a dealer willing to at least remove the cover and take a look, then I would do it myself and look closely for signs of abnormal wear. Maybe pictures of that will get their attention.
They won't find any abnormal wear...

This is a common (not normal, but common) find when taking the cover off, especially for the first time.

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
They won't find any abnormal wear...

This is a common (not normal, but common) find when taking the cover off, especially for the first time.
Maybe it is for a Jeep. As a former Ford technician, I changed oil in many axles for the first time and never saw anything like this. Is Jeep's manufacturing quality really that low that they do not clean the metal clippings from manufacturing before assembling an axle?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Maybe it is for a Jeep. As a former Ford technician, I changed oil in many axles for the first time and never saw anything like this. Is Jeep's manufacturing quality really that low that they do not clean the metal clippings from manufacturing before assembling an axle?
Jeep doesn’t assemble the axles. They come from Dana. All Jeep does is put tires on in the assembly line.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Jeep doesn’t assemble the axles. They come from Dana. All Jeep does is put tires on in the assembly line.
So I guess Dana has quality issues then. I am just surprised that anyone would call the amount and size of metal clippings in the differential housing normal.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
So I guess Dana has quality issues then. I am just surprised that anyone would call the amount and size of metal clippings in the differential housing normal.
Well for what it is worth there is a long thread about knocking in the rear 44 axles. But yes I’ve seen worse than what you have and I’d be surprised if you find a dealer that will do anything without any noise or failure.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Nothing to do with Jeep. It's common with every axle housing MFG that builds axles for the light duty commercial market, which is about everything you see in a dealer lot.

It isn't normal, but like I said, it's common or should say, it's not uncommon to see this. A simple google search of any truck axle assembly will show you all the same posts and complaints.

The Dana 60 Ford uses are the same way. I've been doing this a long time, as well.

I finished the 16th gear swap since Thanksgiving in just Wranglers a couple weeks ago and 6 of them had material similar to your pic, if not more material. It's nothing to worry about. Clean it out and keep on going.

It's totally normal on a new diff to see material. As you continue to service the diff, the material will diminish to almost nothing.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
When doing a gear swap is there anything that can be or should be done about this inside the differential housing while you’re in there? Apart from surface cleaning everything?
Sponsored