Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Exactly!!!
My old Chevy has full analog gauges in it, and it takes a full 2-3 seconds for the oil pressure to come up after an oil change.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Ya know, I thought about it overnight and I think I might have gottn some grimy grease in the pan a while back when I was greasing the front end on my old Blazer.
Yep; that is why I asked earlier if the pan was clean. Typically, oil from a new engine will not have that level of grime but will be very glittery when swirled in the sun.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Some metal in a new engine is normal. The slight ticking you hear with the hood open is normal too. My engine has done it since new. I have even sent a couple of oil samples off for analysis and they were great. 14,000 miles now and no problems.

Enjoy your Jeep.
Not to sound dumb, but how do you send your oil off for analysis? I just did my own oil change and wish I would have asked before. I had the dealer change my oil at 500 miles, 5,000 miles, and 10,000 miles. I just did my own oil change at 15,000 miles. I also installed a UPR catch can. I was just emptying my catch can after 1,000 miles and was surprised there is some fine metal flakes in there. When I changed the oil, I could have sworn I felt some fine metal on my hands but wasn't sure because my hands might have been dirty. Now I'm just super curious. It could all be totally normal, but its been 20 years since I changed my own oil.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Not to sound dumb, but how do you send your oil off for analysis? I just did my own oil change and wish I would have asked before. I had the dealer change my oil at 500 miles, 5,000 miles, and 10,000 miles. I just did my own oil change at 15,000 miles. I also installed a UPR catch can. I was just emptying my catch can after 1,000 miles and was surprised there is some fine metal flakes in there. When I changed the oil, I could have sworn I felt some fine metal on my hands but wasn't sure because my hands might have been dirty. Now I'm just super curious. It could all be totally normal, but its been 20 years since I changed my own oil.
Here are 3 different testing kits:

Blackstone = $30 (TBN costs $10 extra) https://www.blackstone-labs.com/services/pay/
Polaris = $25 (TBN included) https://www.amsoil.com/search/?text=oil+analyzer
WIX = $10 (TBN included) https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,24077,,0

I personally use Polaris (buy my kits for Amsoil at $20 each--preferred pricing) and WIX as both of those are the cheaper that include TBN (total base number--the additive package "strength" remaining).

PS...I have 11,500 miles on mine and I installed my UPR at about 11,200. I have checked it twice and the second time I checked it there were very fine metal particles in the oil inside the can. I am not sure if that is normal or not.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I've been using Blackstone for over 10 years. I order the free sample kits from the website then just include payment when I send it in. I don't bother with TBN since I'm not interested in extended oil changes.

When I take a sample I put the sample container into the oil flow about halfway through the drain.
Sponsored