Sponsored

Metal flakes from first oil change

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
No, not completely, but there wasn't any metal in it. The last time is was used was to change the oil in my lawnmower.
Hard to tell from the photo, but it appears to be a bit more metal than I have seen. Did you save any oil for a UOA?

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Hard to tell from the photo, but it appears to be a bit more metal than I have seen. Did you save any oil for a UOA?
Well, I dumped the old oil into the jug that the new oil came in because my recycling jug is full, so yeah, I have it and it's not contaminated with other oil.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A UOA would give some insight, but it only measures a certain size range of particles and it does not see larger ones. You may want to repeat the OC in a 1,000 miles and dump into a spotless pan to check it.

I would also keep the filter and open the pleats to see if there is any metal trapped in it.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Makes me smi!e how so many obsess over changing oil every couple thousand miles, flakes in their oil but some think nothing of driving hours to pick up their new vehicle and drive back at highway speed ignoring the break-in miles/speed called out in the manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Makes me smi!e how so many obsess over changing oil every couple thousand miles, flakes in their oil but some think nothing of driving hours to pick up their new vehicle and drive back at highway speed ignoring the break-in miles/speed called out in the manual.
Yeah, I technically violated the break-in parameters because the dealer told me that 50-55 MPH was safe on the way home and I hadn't read the manual yet. The dealer is 20 miles from house and I drove about half way on side streets, but then I got on the highway for the second half. This was rush hour so I still didn't get above 55 and it was mostly much slower than that. I did technically take it up to 55 MPH within the first 60 miles and as fast as 70 MPH within the first 300 miles, but I've been really careful and haven't done any excessive acceleration and and I'm generally light on the pedal, especially with a new engine. This thing has the 8-speed automatic so I can't imagine that the RPMs have ever been that high.

PS: I didn't have any choice but to get on the highway on the way home from the dealership because I had to cross a bridge over the Missouri River.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I technically violated the break-in parameters because the dealer told me that 50-55 MPH was safe on the way home and I hadn't read the manual yet. The dealer is 20 miles from house and I drove about half way on side streets, but then I got on the highway for the second half. This was rush hour so I still didn't get above 55 and it was mostly much slower than that. I did technically take it up to 55 MPH within the first 60 miles and as fast as 70 MPH within the first 300 miles, but I've been really careful and haven't done any excessive acceleration and and I'm generally light on the pedal, especially with a new engine. This thing has the 8-speed automatic so I can't imagine that the RPMs have ever been that high.

PS: I didn't have any choice but to get on the highway on the way home from the dealership because I had to cross a bridge over the Missouri River.
Some people order from a dealer hundreds or a thousand miles away then drive it home, not all on side streets I would guess. How you break in an engine can make a difference later on.
Which bridge?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, oil pressure is steady around 32 lbs.
The pressure is spot on; I see 31-32PSI, not matter the termperature or speed. My neighbor runs heavier oil and his pressure is the same, although it probably should not be, unless the bypass in the engine is set at 30-32PSI.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green

Sponsored

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
I think this helps show why it is a good idea to do early fluid changes.

Last edited:

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I can’t say if that’s normal or not. But that’s a lot more debris then I got out of my first oil change at a little over 3K miles 1 year of use.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Ya know, I thought about it overnight and I think I might have gottn some grimy grease in the pan a while back when I was greasing the front end on my old Blazer. I think I wiped it off of the truck and just dropped it into the oil change pan because it was right there, so most of that probably is not metal flake out of this Jeep. The nasty grease obviously melted in the oil and left a heavy residue in the bottom of the pan. I'm going to wash the pan completely before my next oil change at 2,000 miles and I'm betting there won't be a lot of stuff in the bottom.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Thanks, yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. What I couldn't wrap my mind around was the fact that the leftover oil in the pan was so dark, when it wasn't even remotely that dark coming out of the Jeep, it only had 600 miles on it. Then it occurred to me that something turned that oil black AFTER it was drained into the pan. The light bulb went on and I remembered using it when I greased the front end on my old Chevy, and that leftover nasty grease is what made the leftover oil so dark.

I always change my oil "hot" too. I literally don't even turn the engine off until I have the wrench and drain pan in hand ready to jump under it. I want the crud in the engine to be as stirred up as possible when I drain the oil. I will say this, though, it took a long time to drain. I don't know if it's this lighter viscosity oil or what, but it took about an hour before it slowed down from a stream to just dripping.
Sponsored