Metal flakes from first oil change

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I just finished the first oil change in my 2020 JLUR 3.6 at 601 miles. I always do this with new cars to remove any metal flake from break-in. There was a fair amount of metal flake in the pan, too, and not just the fine, rub away off your fingers kind, either, there was some fairly coarse particles in there as well. I use an antique white ceramic coated wash tub to catch my oil and the bottom of it was basically coated. I haven't changed the oil in a new car in several years. Normal?
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, search for the first oil change thread and you will see discussions on this.

asandhu92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler rubicon
I just finished the first oil change in my 2020 JLUR 3.6 at 601 miles. I always do this with new cars to remove any metal flake from break-in. There was a fair amount of metal flake in the pan, too, and not just the fine, rub away off your fingers kind, either, there was some fairly coarse particles in there as well. I use an antique white ceramic coated wash tub to catch my oil and the bottom of it was basically coated. I haven't changed the oil in a new car in several years. Normal?
I ended up getting a magnetic drain plug after my first oil change. Haven't done the 2nd one yet so it'll be interesting to see if it catches any metal.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Yes, in the top of the engine when the hood is open, but I just attributed that to my first aluminum engine.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Nah, I threw in the trash but I could easily fish it out.

Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Some metal in a new engine is normal. The slight ticking you hear with the hood open is normal too. My engine has done it since new. I have even sent a couple of oil samples off for analysis and they were great. 14,000 miles now and no problems.

Enjoy your Jeep.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Yeah, I'm changing again at 2,000 miles, then again at 5,000 and every 5,000 after that.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yeah, I'm changing again at 2,000 miles, then again at 5,000 and every 5,000 after that.
I'm not a fan of the early first oil changes as got burned on Audi's doing that.

But I get not everyone agrees with that philosophy and respect that.

OP
OP
Formattc

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I'm not a fan of the early first oil changes as got burned on Audi's doing that.

But I get not everyone agrees with that philosophy and respect that.
I hear ya, but the amount of metal flake that came out of my engine has me glad that I did. I've dumped the oil into my recycling jug but I haven't wiped out the pan yet. I'll take a photo and post it.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Fairly normal in my experience; I always see quite a bit of metal in the first OC and sometimes in the second. I typically do early OCs a couple of times before settling into a standard OC.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase